So Who's Going to See or Has Seen TSO This Year??

Axeslinger

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mav64

View Post

Who the hell can afford to? I'd love to take the family but last time I priced it...well let's just say if we had gone there would have been no Christmas presents for anybody....

Truth. My wife asked for it for her present.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AaronF View Post
I've seen them four times. Not going this year but would love to. They are really great. I like how they abide by all of the OSHA rules and wear harnesses when they are 8 ft. off of the ground biggrin.gif. How rock n roll of them. icon_lol.gif
Well,,,, I'm sure the majority of you voted for more Gubermint in the last 2-3 election cycles... Reap what you've sownidn_smilie.gif

Until it dies...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Axeslinger View Post
Well,,,, I'm sure the majority of you voted for more Gubermint in the last 2-3 election cycles... Reap what you've sownidn_smilie.gif

Until it dies...
Hey now, let's not get political, we're talking about great music here.

EDIT: I just realized you're the OP. biggrin.gif Do whatever you want in your own thread. My mistake. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Axeslinger View Post
Trans Siberian Orchestra

One of the best shows you'll see anywhere!

Based on what little I've seen before I expected Christmas-themed hard-rock bombast. But that looked like a Broadway show with guitars, down to the Les Mis singing style. Which is great if that floats your boat. But have they changed a lot since a few years ago?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Thurston View Post
Never seen them but that Christmas song of theirs that plays non-stop during this time of year is ANNOYING AS {censored}!!!!

Would still watch live.
Thing that gets my goat is that Paul made that a SAVATAGE song. Then when it hit big, he made it a TSO song. Now Savatage gets zero credit, and TSO gets tons of support from that one tune (as no other has had the success). The first year that hit radio, it was the original Savatage recording, as far as I recall. I just feel like somehow Jon Oliva took a big kick in the nuts on that one.

• Members

I got to go last year in Pittsburgh. Not my idea, my girl's family had tickets for some reason, and one of the group couldn't go.

I wouldn't choose it over a regular rock show, but it is one heck of a spectacle. It was a lot better than I thought it would be.

• Members

I think the best one I've seen was in 2010 in Tampa.. But then again, Robin Zander of Cheap Trick popped up on stage and they did 3 or 4 Cheap Trick tunes VERY WELL!!

I remember my wife and I walking out and saying almost simultaneously " I don't recall seeing a better show anywhere!" And between the two of, we have seen everyone from AC/DC to Metallica to Zeplin to Bonamassa to Van Halen to Rush to, well, you get the picture..:)

I'm looking forward to the 15th :cool:

• Members

Well, you need to remember that the last several Savatage records were written by Paul and Jon. The TSO records? Written by Paul and Jon. How is Jon getting screwed here? He's not, he makes plenty of cash from TSO. And, this is technically a cover tune anyway.

• Members

Well, you need to remember that the last several Savatage records were written by Paul and Jon. The TSO records? Written by Paul and Jon. How is Jon getting screwed here? He's not, he makes plenty of cash from TSO. And, this is technically a cover tune anyway.

I getcha, but it's like writing a song with your band, then the band has a hit with the song. Now you go join another band, and take that song with you - releasing a new version with the new band that is so close to the original that people don't know it's two different bands/songs. Seems sketchy. However I understand that the song was never actually MEANT to be a Savatage tune. I just feel like once it WAS, it should have stayed that way. Look in this very thread, at the people that expected TSO to be much heavier and more rock oriented after hearing just that tune on the radio.

I didn't realize that Oliva was getting bank from TSO, as he doesn't tour with them and I didn't know their arrangement. But I went from elation that first winter when all the pop stations were playing SAVATAGE to utter disappointment the following year when it was re-recorded and released as a TSO tune.

And while it's well known that Paul wrote the musical that became "streets" and the title and a few tracks on "Gutter Ballet", It was Jon's voice and Criss's guitars that made those albums amazing. The writing itself, sadly, turned off quite a few fans. I loved those two albums, but the stuff afterwards was terrible. Even with better vocals, fancier writing, and better musicians, the newer stuff was terrible. I just see TSO as a further extension of this. And when I heard Christmas Eve Sarajevo (a unique orchestral ARRANGEMENT, not a "cover" per se) on the radio I thought it was a sign of a big comeback for the band. Instead, it seemed to have been the final nail in the coffin.

Archived