Need Good Kids 3/4 size Electric guitar advice

AccurateOne

• Members

My daughter is taking guitar lessons and is doing great. She is using a 3/4 size Yamaha acoustic to learn on. She really wants an electric guitar and keeps asking me for one. I would like to get her one as a gift after her upcoming recital. It will be a reward for working hard and practicing.

I have looked at the Squier Mini, and the Ibanez Mikro. I would like to spend $200.00 or less. Anyone have any experience with a small electric guitar she could use for a few years?

Thanks,

AccurateOne

• Members

How big is your daughter? I was contemplating a 3/4 sized guitar for my nephew but after trying a bunch, I realized I was better off getting a full-sized axe instead. I went with an LTD EC-50. He's not getting it until July but I was blown away by how good it is for the $$$.

BTW, Daisy Rock makes a solid product, too. I've even seen male pros swinging those beasties onstage.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by newbuilder View Post
...the baby v I just got my son is pretty cool, and plays great.
I'd also suggest the Dean 'Baby' series.... 3/4-sized bodies with full-scale (24.75") necks thumb.gif I had one for a while that played really well, but it felt like I was playing a toy.

My 5-year-old, otoh, has one of those Maestro (epi) mini V's... it's a real POS. She only has the strumming part down so far, though, so I set it to an open tuning. That way, she can beat the crap out of it with somewhat pleasant-sounding results while she makes up her songs. tongue.gif

• Members

If you want something with a little Mojo get a used MIM Duo-Sonic. They are usually available for under $200. My daughter loves hers. They will hold their value if you ever think about trading for a full size. My daughter is almost 16 now but would never give hers up.
BTW, this pic isn't my daughter's guitar. Hers is red with white and maple but I love this custom paint job.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
BTW, Daisy Rock makes a solid product, too. I've even seen male pros swinging those beasties onstage.
I can vouch for full-sized DRs - have a Retro-H and tested a bunch of others; don't know about the 3/4 sized versions, but given that their QC is generally very strong I'd be willing to bet on them.

Hard to iron out full-size vs 3/4 size vs 24" etc without in-person tests. Kids fit differently, and it's hard to predict - some like a fatter neck, some like a heavier body, etc. Best to try before you buy, as usual.

• Members

Forget the mini. If your kid is honestly playing and practicing, a real guitar is in order. Additionally, if she gets bored and quits, it'll have some use as a back up or resale.

My 12 year old plays a Jagmaster (24" scale)
I have a Yamaha APXt1, hollow electric that rocks for my 9 year old; these are discontinued but easy to find on ebay. This Yammie is also a 24" scale.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Guitar-Yamaha-AP...1%7C240%3A1318

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by valentsgrif

View Post

Forget the mini. If your kid is honestly playing and practicing, a real guitar is in order. Additionally, if she gets bored and quits, it'll have some use as a back up or resale.]

There's a lot of truth to this.When I lived with my parents,there was a kid who came to their house to wait for the bus.He picked my full size acoustic,strung with medium gauge strings,and played a John Denver tune on it. He was seven years old. I would get a guitar with a small neck and buy it for her.If she stcks it out,she'lll have a good guitar for awhile.If not,you'll have a beater.I have a MIM Fender Strat that has the smallest neck I've seen on a full size guitar.

• Members

Hey Guys,

I appreciate all of the replies. She looks to be the same size as the two girls pictured above.

I have 2 Taylor Baby's waiting for her and her sister when they are ready to be responsible for and take care of them. I want something that sounds decent to bridge the gap until she is ready to step up. I am looking for an inexpensive electric that she can learn on and if it gets beat up that will be OK.

Thanks

AccurateOne

• Members

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/sto...0002_-49990866

Got one of these for my son (8 yo). Really nice looking and well finished for the money. Nice thin satin finished neck,pickups read 11.6k neck and 12.2k bridge and sound pretty decent. i swapped in some alnico PAF style(from a first act me601) coz i thought they would look good(stock pickups sound good enough not to need swapping tho IMO)

heres a pic [ATTACH]288999[/ATTACH] made of real wood also not plywood plays real nice.

Main reason i got it was the dual humbucker config. which is rare in kiddie guitars. no regrets

• Members

I recommend the Squier Mini..
My 7 y/o daughter has one and it's great.

But........
Do not order one online. With these things you have to go to a large retailer and try out a bunch of them. I played 4 or 5 of them and picked a great one. I couldn't get it to lose tune...

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I tried the Ibanez Mikro. It sounded so dull and uninteresting. Its clean tone is passable, but the overall tone is not pleasing to me at all. It is ok for Rock and Metal...but for clean tone?...forget it!

I tried the Mini Strat right after putting the MIKRO away within 10 seconds...and was floored by how sweet and exciting the tone is. The feel of the neck, fretboard is smooth. action was low too. it is very shocking that guitar this size can produce such a big tone which is as big as the big Strats!

I can play the SHADOWS' music and it sounds really good. This mini Strat can also Rock with an attitude too.

I highly recommend the Mini Strat. I wish they also produce a Mini Tele. that will be awesome!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by D Carroll View Post
I ended up getting this one for my younger daughter (5 yrs old, now 6). It's well made for the price. Neck is nice and straight (though I hate the orange tint), frets are good, intonates and holds tune fine. Pup sounds pretty good actually. The neck is a little thicker than on a Mikro or Mini, which works fine for her but is something to consider. You'll not mistake the plastics or hardware for those of a serious instrument, but it plays and sounds very nice, and she's very happy with it. Plus, the color is classy enough (rose with a slight bit of sparkle) that it's not in danger of phasing out with the princess and Barbi stuff, I think (we're in the midst of that purge, so we'll see soon).

I'd ordered a Mikro from M123, but it arrived damaged, and I wasn't as impressed with it as I'd originally been, so it went back and we got the SX instead.

Also got a blow-out Hanna Montana tele-like built by Washburn, for my older daughter (9 years old, now 10). It's not as solid as the SX, but it's perfectly functional, and again the pups sound surprisingly nice. I don't expect it to last here much longer, though, my daughter was never a fan of HM and she's not caught the irony bug yet, and it's not worth my time to refinish it.

Sad truth is that my daughters don't play consistently enough to get very far with guitar. They both play piano, and the older plays clarinet as well; barely enough time for those, and guitar just hasn't caught their fancy enough to outweigh other activities. Sigh. I'm going to keep the gear ready and accessible despite that, they do like to pound on it with friends from time to time, but dad's Jackson Five dreams are slipping away slowly. rolleyes.gif

Archived