NGD (Melody Maker Content)

profgalen

• Members

Actually I've had it for almost a week. Haven't stopped playing it long enough for pics. This is my third MM and I dig them all. As an older guitar player I can appreciate the thinner body and resulting lighter weight. They each have a sound all their own. The 59RI has my favorite neck. It has BG-MM90 pups and Badass bridge. The SG has a GFS professional Series Alnico II pup. The new one is cool because it doesn't have any Jonahs Brother's signatures on it. No really, the p90s sound great and I've become a big fan of baked maple FBs on the two newer ones. I like the more traditional head-stock. Just an all-around great guitar at an incredible blow-out price from Sam Ash.
IM000740.jpg
Maple FB
IM000741.jpg
group shot by the Bougainvillea bush
IM000742.jpg
IM000749.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrima

View Post

Sweet! HNGD. How do you like those MM90s? I was thinking of ordering some of those for my Melody Maker.

Worth the 10 week wait. They sound very good. More crunch than the originals. A bit hotter and hum cancelling in the middle position.

• Members

Congrats on your newest addition. thumb.gif I've had one of those for some time now biggrin.gif, which means before the killer Sam Ash blow-out pricing frown.gif

But they're cool n'nuff guitars for sure.

I also have that dual single coil MM as well, it's maybe my fave. The newest model, i.e with the maple body and single HB is the only one I don't have there, but I do have a JJ MM which covers that territory. I'm surprised though that you would pull the ceramic Gibby 491T for GFS though confused.gif. Isn't that Alnico II a bit bright on maple? idn_smilie.gif

But anyway, congrats on your fine collection of MMs. I agree that the thin bodies are cool, and it indeed does impart its own tonal character on the sound

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man

View Post

Congrats on your newest addition. thumb.gif I've had one of those for some time now biggrin.gif, which means before the killer Sam Ash blow-out pricing frown.gif

But they're cool n'nuff guitars for sure.

I also have that dual single coil MM as well, it's maybe my fave. The newest model, i.e with the maple body and single HB is the only one I don't have there, but I do have a JJ MM which covers that territory. I'm surprised though that you would pull the ceramic Gibby 491T for GFS though confused.gif. Isn't that Alnico II a bit bright on maple? idn_smilie.gif

But anyway, congrats on your fine collection of MMs. I agree that the thin bodies are cool, and it indeed does impart its own tonal character on the sound

Not that I can tell. The original sounded good too. I'm just experimenting. I might switch back, but the GFS has a nice sort of vintage tone. I have to go against popular opinion here and say I really don't think that the maple body makes that much difference through an amp. Either way I do wish it had a tone control.I'm considering a stacked pot like Danelectro uses.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by profgalen

View Post

Not that I can tell. The original sounded good too. I'm just experimenting. I might switch back, but the GFS has a nice sort of vintage tone. I have to go against popular opinion here and say I really don't think that the maple body makes that much difference through an amp. Either way I do wish it had a tone control.I'm considering a stacked pot like Danelectro uses.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Generally I do subscribe to "the popular opinion about maple being bright", BUT!!! this was a recent acquisition of mine this year and it's one big thick slab of maple and it doesn't sound particularly bright or sharp. If I had been told it was mahogany, I would have never known the difference. This one does however have a ceramic p'up (which I generally regard as often having a bit of a flatter EQ) but it's my understanding that on the American version of the G&L Jerry Cantrell Rampage that they use the SD JB, which is also a fairly bright Alnico design.

IMG_0201.jpg

Archived