No announcement yet.

NGD (Melody Maker Content)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD (Melody Maker Content)

Actually I've had it for almost a week. Haven't stopped playing it long enough for pics. This is my third MM and I dig them all. As an older guitar player I can appreciate the thinner body and resulting lighter weight. They each have a sound all their own. The 59RI has my favorite neck. It has BG-MM90 pups and Badass bridge. The SG has a GFS professional Series Alnico II pup. The new one is cool because it doesn't have any Jonahs Brother's signatures on it. No really, the p90s sound great and I've become a big fan of baked maple FBs on the two newer ones. I like the more traditional head-stock. Just an all-around great guitar at an incredible blow-out price from Sam Ash.

Maple FB

group shot by the Bougainvillea bush

Sweet! HNGD. How do you like those MM90s? I was thinking of ordering some of those for my Melody Maker.
    Originally Posted by guitarmandp

But I really don't give ****************, I have money to make and I'm wasting my time playing on a message board.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrima
      View Post

Sweet! HNGD. How do you like those MM90s? I was thinking of ordering some of those for my Melody Maker.

Worth the 10 week wait. They sound very good. More crunch than the originals. A bit hotter and hum cancelling in the middle position.

Comment

I'm another proudly satisfied Melody Maker believer Your assessment is spot-on!

HNGD!

Comment

I dig Gibson flat tops, 2 control knobs, and the full sized headstock.

Surfy
          HC Geezer Brigade #71

"There's a little green man in my head"

Comment

Nice collection of MM's. That yeller one looks familiar to me!
            Good transactions with pedalboard, TheSkyIsCrying!, LionHeaRT07, hottub, jackpotjewell, GibsonVMan, J Kylez, sublimeride, sxyryan, RoadRanger, joelbah, flummox, metal0822, old_metal_head, ko stradivarius, lovellintn, Geeter

11 Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional Plus
            80 Gibson Les Paul Standard (Wine Red/ nickel)
            12 Takamine EF341SC

Comment

Congrats on your newest addition. I've had one of those for some time now , which means before the killer Sam Ash blow-out pricing

But they're cool n'nuff guitars for sure.

I also have that dual single coil MM as well, it's maybe my fave. The newest model, i.e with the maple body and single HB is the only one I don't have there, but I do have a JJ MM which covers that territory. I'm surprised though that you would pull the ceramic Gibby 491T for GFS though . Isn't that Alnico II a bit bright on maple?

But anyway, congrats on your fine collection of MMs. I agree that the thin bodies are cool, and it indeed does impart its own tonal character on the sound
              A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
              HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
              Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
              I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Very nice collection. Enjoy.
                --------------------------------
                www.VerneAndru.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man
                  View Post

Congrats on your newest addition. I've had one of those for some time now , which means before the killer Sam Ash blow-out pricing

But they're cool n'nuff guitars for sure.

I also have that dual single coil MM as well, it's maybe my fave. The newest model, i.e with the maple body and single HB is the only one I don't have there, but I do have a JJ MM which covers that territory. I'm surprised though that you would pull the ceramic Gibby 491T for GFS though . Isn't that Alnico II a bit bright on maple?

But anyway, congrats on your fine collection of MMs. I agree that the thin bodies are cool, and it indeed does impart its own tonal character on the sound

Not that I can tell. The original sounded good too. I'm just experimenting. I might switch back, but the GFS has a nice sort of vintage tone. I have to go against popular opinion here and say I really don't think that the maple body makes that much difference through an amp. Either way I do wish it had a tone control.I'm considering a stacked pot like Danelectro uses.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by profgalen
                    View Post

Not that I can tell. The original sounded good too. I'm just experimenting. I might switch back, but the GFS has a nice sort of vintage tone. I have to go against popular opinion here and say I really don't think that the maple body makes that much difference through an amp. Either way I do wish it had a tone control.I'm considering a stacked pot like Danelectro uses.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Generally I do subscribe to "the popular opinion about maple being bright", BUT!!! this was a recent acquisition of mine this year and it's one big thick slab of maple and it doesn't sound particularly bright or sharp. If I had been told it was mahogany, I would have never known the difference. This one does however have a ceramic p'up (which I generally regard as often having a bit of a flatter EQ) but it's my understanding that on the American version of the G&L Jerry Cantrell Rampage that they use the SD JB, which is also a fairly bright Alnico design.

A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                    HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                    Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                    I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

A lot of great music was created using those 3 guitars.

Comment

Those are some badass guitars there, Prof.
                        Guitars: 1990ish Fender American Standard Strat,
                        Epiphone Sheraton II, Austin strat copy, mid-1930s Martin R-18

Amps: Fender Blues DeVille 4X10 tweed, 60s Ampeg Jet

Comment

Three MM's with 3 unique tones. Dig it, congrats.

Comment

They are very photogenic!

Comment

Nice!! MM's rule! Love the TV yellow! Here's mine:

href="http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=richey+lather" Good deals with: Mister Zero, homestar_kevin, Nomad000, ed_sped2, Jim Hunter, D34dBaWx, Vidiot72, ny300percentcom, bluedevil0204, PumpkinPieces, Silverring233, darkmonohue, diceman1000, sethseth, boonestunes, Shauggy, echobaseone, firebrand, Macelind, BloodBros, michaellambson, SunofNothing, jdpkeeper, sameoldbluesman, Shamdog, WBigsby, Mike Fiasco, Greystoke

Comment

Working...
                              X