NGD My Gibby is Here!

DaveGrima

• Members

This is a momentous occasion for me. My first full-size headstock Gibson. Les Paul Junior Special (humbucker edition). Set-up was really nice out of the box. Just tuned it up and jammed for about 5 minutes, then started taking pics for thread. First impressions are very positive. I really like the 490-t/r pickups, as suspected since I prefer vintage output HBs. Baked maple feels nice. Smoother than rosewood. Haven't played it long enough to notice any issues, but so far Im really digging this thing. Only thing I wish it had was a lighter transparent finsih on the back so I can see the wood. The nitro is so thick on the back of the headstock you can barely read the Made IN USA stamp. Oh well . For $549 this was a no brainer. Pics. wave.gif
GEDC0003.jpg
GEDC0004.jpg
GEDC0009-1.jpg
GEDC0006-1.jpg
GEDC0007-1.jpg
GEDC0008.jpg
GEDC0015-1.jpg
Nice gigbag.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vcnyls View Post
Great lookign gutiar! HNGD!

I'd consider tossing some covers on those pickups if I were you. I think it would really complete the look.
I kinda like the open coil look on this guitar myself. If it were a Standard or Custom then yeah. Plus I hear covers dampen the highs somewhat. .

I may end up getting a bone or Tusq nut installed, although it seems to hold tune well. Maybe some black speed knobs and some kind of locking bridge. .

• Members

Ok after playing it all day Ive decided. . its a keeper. I was able to set it up more to my taste. I like low action and I was afraid once I got it down low it would start buzzing and fretting out. It doesnt at all. That means all the frets are nicely leveled. So Ive found absolutely no issues with this guitar at all. Thats amazing considering all the Gibson QC horror stories Ive heard and that this is one of their lower end models. Guess I got lucky. All in all a truly nice guitar. Im all for cheap, import fixer uppers and Im the furthest thing from a corksniffer or a brand snob but I dont thinks its a coincidence that my top 4 guitars are my MIA ones.

• Members

Sweet guitar, I've been eyeing them a lot lately, kinda want the satin yellow one. Enjoy it! I think the Gibson QC issue is way blown out of proportion, sort of like that rumor of everyone heard it's true, so it must be true, but then it turns out to be not really that true at all. At least that's what I like to believe biggrin.gif

Archived