Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD My Gibby is Here!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse







X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31






    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrima
    View Post

    I really like the 490-t/r pickups, as suspected since I prefer vintage output HBs. Baked maple feels nice. Smoother than rosewood.




    As I mentioned in your other thread where you had ordered this guitar (and thanks again, I got a $58 refund by noticing your posting of this second price drop) I got the same guitar. And the 490T was indeed a big motivator for me. I also prefer more vintage tones and usually think I'm in a minority with all the folks that prefer the 498T. But a lot of it does have a lot to do with the wood that under the pickups. I've got plenty of gits with 498s and they do sound different depending upon the density under the hood, but generally I prefer the softer sweeter sounding 490. I think I'll stop typing and pick mine up for a bit more plunking. It's still very much new in my collection and needs more time, but at $549, this guitar is a "no-brainer".
    A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
    HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
    Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
    I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

    Comment


    • #32
      Fantastic looking guitar! HNGD, it's a beaut. I almost ordered one of these, and now I wish I would have.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2">Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- <b>Two Cow Garage</b></font><br />
      <br />
      Yes, I can actually play: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/falstaff.music?sk=app_155326481208883" target="_blank">Falstaff</a></div>

      Comment


      • #33
        Congrat's,looks great,HNGD!
        1989 Gibson SG
        Eleven Rack

        Comment


        • #34
          Nice, I was looking for the big breastesses.

          Comment


          • #35
            Ok honeymoon is over and this thing has to go back unfornutely. The so called Plek-cut nut is not slotted well and the guitar will not stay in tune. I can hear the little plinks as the strings are getting bunched up in the slots when I turn the pegs. In a way Im glad the nut is bad since it is a defect and I can get Zzounds to pay for return shipping when I exchange it for something else.

            To be honest I wasnt totally loving this guitar anyway. Its a decent sounding instrument, but a bit of a letdown for my (almost) first Gibson. I dont really like the bridge pup that much. Sounds kinda harsh to me and I don't want to do the whole musical pickups bull**************** so. . .back it goes. They are out of stock on this guitar so I couldnt get another one even If I wanted to. I was thinking about one of these. On sale for a great price, just a couple hundred more but were talking a real Gibson SG Standard with a hardcase here. . and P-90s! Everyone loves Gibson p-90s so this is a safe bet am I right?

            <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
            <div class="bbcode_quote">
            <div class="quote_container">
            <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

            <div class="bbcode_postedby">
            <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong>guitarmandp</strong>
            <a href="showthread.php?p=38573923#post38573923" rel="nofollow"><img class="inlineimg" src="images/buttons/viewpost-right.png" alt="View Post" /></a>
            </div>
            <div class="message">But I really don't give ****************, I have money to make and I'm wasting my time playing on a message board.</div>

            </div>
            </div>
            </div> </div>

            Comment


            • #36






              Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrima
              View Post

              Ok honeymoon is over and this thing has to go back unfornutely. The so called Plek-cut nut is not slotted well and the guitar will not stay in tune. I can hear the little plinks as the strings are getting bunched up in the slots when I turn the pegs. In a way Im glad the nut is bad since it is a defect and I can get Zzounds to pay for return shipping when I exchange it for something else.

              To be honest I wasnt totally loving this guitar anyway. Its a decent sounding instrument, but a bit of a letdown for my (almost) first Gibson. I dont really like the bridge pup that much. Sounds kinda harsh to me and I don't want to do the whole musical pickups bull**************** so. . .back it goes. They are out of stock on this guitar so I couldnt get another one even If I wanted to. I was thinking about one of these. On sale for a great price, just a couple hundred more but were talking a real Gibson SG Standard with a hardcase here. . and P-90s! Everyone loves Gibson p-90s so this is a safe bet am I right?







              The SGs are a wicked deal, either the p90 or hummer model....I went with the hummers.....it is my new number 1.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
              <div class="bbcode_quote">
              <div class="quote_container">
              <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

              Originally Posted by <b>chainsaw fats</b> <br />
              Can I drink your piss?

              </div>
              </div>
              </div> <br />
              Great people: d_dave_c, wbcsound.<img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/thumb.gif" border="0" alt="" title="thumbs up" class="inlineimg" /></div>

              Comment


              • #37
                ZZounds only has the P-90 version on sale right now. Thats ok tho. I own 9 guitars and not one of them has a P-90 on it. I need to remedy that I think.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
                <div class="bbcode_quote">
                <div class="quote_container">
                <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

                <div class="bbcode_postedby">
                <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong>guitarmandp</strong>
                <a href="showthread.php?p=38573923#post38573923" rel="nofollow"><img class="inlineimg" src="images/buttons/viewpost-right.png" alt="View Post" /></a>
                </div>
                <div class="message">But I really don't give ****************, I have money to make and I'm wasting my time playing on a message board.</div>

                </div>
                </div>
                </div> </div>

                Comment


                • #38
                  Too bad man, that stinks.



                  Fwiw, I would just open up the nut slots a little and put some graphite in 'em. My roadworn strat needed that, as well as the fret ends filed - sort of expected w/a fresh from the factory guitar IMO.



                  Any, an sg w/p90's sounds cool - go for it!
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">--<br />
                  Wagdog<br />
                  Check out Lunar Commander on:<br />
                  <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lunar-commander/id537292752?ls=1&amp;mt=8" target="_blank">iTunes App Store</a> <br />
                  <a href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.johnnywag.lunarcommander" target="_blank">Google Play</a><br />
                  <br />
                  Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!: <br />
                  <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lunar-commander-lite/id541647543?ls=1&amp;mt=8" target="_blank">iTunes App Store</a><br />
                  <a href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.johnnywag.lunarcommanderlite" target="_blank">Google Play</a> <br />
                  <br />
                  <a href="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.johnnywag.freefireworksshow" target="_blank">Free Fireworks Show for Android</a><br />
                  <br />
                  &quot;Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by&quot;<br />
                  - Joe Walsh<br />
                  <br />
                  <font size="1"><br />
                  Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber<br />
                  </font></div>

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    The "pink" when you're tuning is no big deal and could have easily been remedied (with a bit of widening or lube), but not liking the sound of it is a big deal so it's cool you're sending it back with that bit o' leverage .



                    In one of my posts (I believe in the thread where you ordered the guitar) I made some remarks that were similar to your concerns above. I remarked that the "both" position was my favorite. It seemed like the bridge indeed was/is a bit harsh, hard and trebly, (I expected a bit more warmth/depth with such a fat mahogany slab) but combined with the neck, it all worked. That did seem a bit too limiting, but I figure I'll add gain for the bridge and I'll still be able to dial in some sweet tones. I think you're probably making a good decision sending it back, and I probably should have sent mine back too, but there's something still that I like about that guitar. It's just a solid rocker in its own respect with a fairly good range of potential applications.



                    But yeah, I'd say get that P-90 SG Standard. That's a heckuva deal right now. I've got 2 different P-90 SG guitars and they are some of my favorites (a Classic and a '60s Tribute - for some reason, I prefer the tone out of the '60s Trib, maybe because it's a lighter slab of mahogany)



                    Good luck on your next piece. I like the way they are coming out of the factory these days. I recently picked up an SG Std (HB) for my kid's upcoming BD, and it sounds quite a bit better than my '07 SG Std. The new one is substantially lighter.
                    A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                    HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                    Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                    I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

                    Comment


                    • #40






                      Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man
                      View Post

                      I like the way they are coming out of the factory these days. I recently picked up an SG Std (HB) for my kid's upcoming BD, and it sounds quite a bit better than my '07 SG Std. The new one is substantially lighter.




                      I have a totally unsubstantiated and unproven thought that in the time frame of baked maple and obeche or whatever other boards they were using, Henry put the word out on the floor that everything else be top notch. You know, to make up for that little glitch. Only two data points though. A dozen faded LP's and SG's a looked at a few years ago, and the single junior special that I just got.



                      Night and day difference.
                      http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

                      Comment


                      • #41






                        Quote Originally Posted by Into Nation
                        View Post

                        I have a totally unsubstantiated and unproven thought that in the time frame of baked maple and obeche or whatever other boards they were using, Henry put the word out on the floor that everything else be top notch.




                        That kind of makes sense. Those $500 one-pickup Melody Makers look like ****************ty sixth grade wood shop projects, but they play like butter.

                        Comment


                        • #42






                          Quote Originally Posted by Into Nation
                          View Post

                          I have a totally unsubstantiated and unproven thought that in the time frame of baked maple and obeche or whatever other boards they were using, Henry put the word out on the floor that everything else be top notch. You know, to make up for that little glitch. Only two data points though. A dozen faded LP's and SG's a looked at a few years ago, and the single junior special that I just got.



                          Night and day difference.




                          Yeah, possibly. My SG Standard was one of the Silverburst "Guitar Of The Week" models. I don't remember what the MAP on them was, but I got mine for $1,169 (it has an ebony board). (for a while there, folks were flipping the Silverburst SGs on ebay for up to $1800 - true) But roll forward 5 years and this SG Std that I just picked up for my son's upcoming 30th BD (sshhhh) was only $820 from Sweetwater, and yes it does have a maple board, but this one is about as dark as rosewood. And it just sounds so much better to my ears. The body is much more alive.



                          Here's his new one in hiding





                          and here's my '07.





                          I'm tempted to ask him if he'd rather have mine - yeah, that's the ticket, mine being more exclusive and all

                          And actually, since he's into metal where the sustain might be more important and I'm more into blues/rock where the resonant tone is more important, it would make sense to trade, but he was the one eying that vintage SB finish.



                          But yeah, I think that's remarkable, 5 years later but $349 less and with a better tone. What a deal.
                          A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                          HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                          Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                          I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            If I really liked the guitar I would have just had the slots touched up or even just got a new bone nut for it, but like I said the guitar as a whole just wasnt impressing me that much. I honestly like my Melody Maker better. Im gonna get some stacked HBs for it and that should cover my LPish tones. I just really need a P-90 guitar and Ive suddenly got SG gas so there ya go. For a couple hundred more I can get an American classic with a hardcase. Now the only question is should I install a Maestro Trem on it?
                            <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
                            <div class="bbcode_quote">
                            <div class="quote_container">
                            <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

                            <div class="bbcode_postedby">
                            <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong>guitarmandp</strong>
                            <a href="showthread.php?p=38573923#post38573923" rel="nofollow"><img class="inlineimg" src="images/buttons/viewpost-right.png" alt="View Post" /></a>
                            </div>
                            <div class="message">But I really don't give ****************, I have money to make and I'm wasting my time playing on a message board.</div>

                            </div>
                            </div>
                            </div> </div>

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Oh, and I playing my LP Spc Jr HB right now. DaveG's posts on this guitar keep sending me back to re-evaluating mine.



                              But this bugger is hev-Vey!
                              A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                              HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                              Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                              I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

                              Comment


                              • #45






                                Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man
                                View Post

                                Yeah, possibly. My SG Standard was one of the Silverburst "Guitar Of The Week" models. I don't remember what the MAP on them was, but I got mine for $1,169 (it has an ebony board). (for a while there, folks were flipping the Silverburst SGs on ebay for up to $1800 - true) But roll forward 5 years and this SG Std that I just picked up for my son's upcoming 30th BD (sshhhh) was only $820 from Sweetwater, and yes it does have a maple board, but this one is about as dark as rosewood. And it just sounds so much better to my ears. The body is much more alive.



                                Here's his new one in hiding






                                That's gorgeous. I think the little tike will like.



                                To the OP, yea I guess you knew the nut could be fixed but if they went for that then get what you really want.
                                http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X