NGD-got another RG827QMZ - weird dark coloring on the back of the neck?

Santuzzo

• Members

Hi,

I got a 2nd RG827QMZ delivered today, very nice guitar, only problem is, it has some dark coloring on the back of the neck that came from the case. I tried to wipe this off with my hands, but no success.
I have two other premiums that don't have this coloring, so I'm wondering if this is something that will eventually go off with playing the guitar a lot?
It does not look very nice, so if this is something that would stay on the neck, I'd consider returning it...
Has anybody else had this kind of thing?

img0246la.jpg

here some pics of the back of the neck:

img0254dk.jpg

img0249im.jpg

img0250wn.jpg

img0251yd.jpg

• Members

Wow i see that...its only on the portion where the neck is resting on the backing of the case? Perhaps its the dye used on the liner on the interior of the case? Its not too prevelant, but definatley worthy of a return if you dont want to see that....unless you are in total love with the playability of the guitar, id consider a return...ive never heard of that happening before...strange.

• Members

Thanks! While it does not affect sound or playability, it really looks kinda ugly, I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by craigny

View Post

...its only on the portion where the neck is resting on the backing of the case? ...

Yup, it's exactly on the part of the neck that is resting on the case backing.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by craigny

View Post

Also i do not believe that's an Ibanez case right? did you order it along with the guitar seperatley and they shipped it in it? I do not think the Premiums come with a case?

Good point. I'd say call the case manufacturer and see what they have to say about their cases staining guitars.

• Members

Tried to clean off the discoloring with a piece of cloth and a tiny bit of soap solution (this is what the store advised me to do), but that did not do anything.

The shop ensured me, though that they will take the guitar back and get me a new one if I don't want to keep it, so they have been very cool about it.

Haven't tried steel wool yet.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Santuzzo

View Post

Tried to clean off the discoloring with a piece of cloth and a tiny bit of soap solution (this is what the store advised me to do), but that did not do anything.

The shop ensured ,e though that they will take the guitar back and get me a new one if I don't want to keep it, so they have been very cool about it.

Haven't tried steel wool yet.

I wouldn't do anything else if you want to take it back.

I'm guessing a store would void your warranty if you steel wool the back of the neck.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation

View Post

I wouldn't do anything else if you want to take it back.

I'm guessing a store would void your warranty if you steel wool the back of the neck.

Yup, that's what I figured, too!

At least I'd ask them first. Will give them a call tomorrow.

• Members

So, I had this guitar replaced, they already sent me a new one, the old one is still here, but I got a UPS return label from them.

Anyway, today I received the replacement guitar, took it out of the case.....and I see the exact same discoloring on the back of the neck. I can't believe this.

Feels like being on one of those prank-TV shows with a hidden camera, only I did not find the camera...LOL.

I know that the distributor check each guitar before sending them to a retailer, there is even a little tag saying this guitar has been checked and approved.?!?!?!

I wonder what kind of quality control is that?!?!

• Members

It's gotta be those cases. They probably pack them away and the have been sitting in them for who knows how long. That stinks. But like hic stated, pick the better player hot it with some steel wool and be done with it. I bet with even regular playing it will come off too. I'd look into getting another case/ bag for it

• Members

Before I had them send me a replacement the store offered me either the replacement (free of charge) or a 50 EURO discount.

At this point I think I will indeed compare these two now and pick the one I like better, get the 50 Euro discount, send the other guitar back and be done.....

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Santuzzo

View Post

Both guitars have a way more serious issue as well, strings are not centered, see how close the high e-string is to the edge of the fretboard on BOTH of the guitars:

Quality control?!?!?! you gotta be kidding me

Is the neck sitting in the pocket properly?

• Members

Both guitars have a way more serious issue as well, strings are not centered, see how close the high e-string is to the edge of the fretboard on BOTH of the guitars:

img0264ly.jpg

and:

img0255ia.jpg

Quality control?!?!?! you gotta be kidding me

Damn. I hate it when the high string is too close. You could try loosening the bolts and shifting it if there's any play in the pocket. A little bit goes a long way. I once chipped the finish on the pocket when doing this, so be careful. To be fair, it was a cheap RG321 in the lightest basswood I've ever picked up. I still have the guitar and don't mind, however. On your guitar I'd be more nervous, but the maple top should be a lot harder. At this point, I'd be pissed enough to send them back and move on, though.

• Members

Damn. I hate it when the high string is too close. You could try loosening the bolts and shifting it if there's any play in the pocket. A little bit goes a long way. I once chipped the finish on the pocket when doing this, so be careful. To be fair, it was a cheap RG321 in the lightest basswood I've ever picked up. I still have the guitar and don't mind, however. On your guitar I'd be more nervous, but the maple top should be a lot harder. At this point, I'd be pissed enough to send them back and move on, though.

Hold the fort: is that iCarly in your avatar?!

• Members

I managed to realign the neck, and I am amazed how easy this was indeed.

On one guitar I think I got it realigned so the strings are centered perfectly, just on the other they still are off, but not as much anymore.

What do you guys think:

img0267oi.jpg

and this is the one where I think the strings are still off:

img0271g.jpg

Archived