Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD-got another RG827QMZ - weird dark coloring on the back of the neck?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool
    View Post

If it's a satin finish, can't you just sand a little bit?

But the case would just discolor it again.
    Originally Posted by GW348

I just let the pee flow. The places I play, no one notices or have peed themselves too.

RIP Wayne Murray

**************** YOU CANCER!!

Comment

Both guitars have a way more serious issue as well, strings are not centered, see how close the high e-string is to the edge of the fretboard on BOTH of the guitars:

and:

Quality control?!?!?! you gotta be kidding me
      my website - free licks - some of my music

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

check out my EP 'Sonic Sketches'

Comment

I don't see when the marking on the neck you're talking about but the high e string so close to the edge of the fingerboard would make me send them back and get something else.
        Good transactions: tolling bells, leod_74, phatgirl, Megadeth6784, duderanimous, JoshuaTSP, mttmg, Rocked Star, New Builder, Zemmy, Brutal Truth, Incarta, needleTOink, outtahear, guitar_dude45, kidgloves, Chad-ro, Ibenhad,TruSlice, Squatandgobble, DoubleBarrel

Comment

Yikes!

Third time's a charm?
          Good dealings with ~dcindc x2~alleytrash~ashasha~jjegg~Yavin

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Santuzzo
            View Post

Both guitars have a way more serious issue as well, strings are not centered, see how close the high e-string is to the edge of the fretboard on BOTH of the guitars:

Is the neck sitting in the pocket properly?
            Epi 339-Pro (Cherry) | Epi Dot Dlx: Seth Lover set | Classic Vibe 60s Strat: Deaf Eddie Chromacaster switch | Red MIM Strat: Tonerider City Limits set; Deaf Eddie Fat-O-Caster switch | Ibanez SZ520QM: Dimarzio Bluesbucker & Air Zone | Fender Sonoran acoustic-electric | Fender Mustang III v2: Swamp Thang | Fender Super Champ XD: Ragin' Cajun

Comment

and:

Damn. I hate it when the high string is too close. You could try loosening the bolts and shifting it if there's any play in the pocket. A little bit goes a long way. I once chipped the finish on the pocket when doing this, so be careful. To be fair, it was a cheap RG321 in the lightest basswood I've ever picked up. I still have the guitar and don't mind, however. On your guitar I'd be more nervous, but the maple top should be a lot harder. At this point, I'd be pissed enough to send them back and move on, though.

Comment

Yeah, even though it sounds like it might be an easy fix, I'm afraid I'd ruin something, like chip off some paint ...

I offer online guitar lessons on Skype in different styles. Send me a PM if interested.

Comment

Damn. I hate it when the high string is too close. You could try loosening the bolts and shifting it if there's any play in the pocket. A little bit goes a long way. I once chipped the finish on the pocket when doing this, so be careful. To be fair, it was a cheap RG321 in the lightest basswood I've ever picked up. I still have the guitar and don't mind, however. On your guitar I'd be more nervous, but the maple top should be a lot harder. At this point, I'd be pissed enough to send them back and move on, though.

Hold the fort: is that iCarly in your avatar?!
                  NEWB since '09.

Comment

Hold the fort: is that iCarly in your avatar?!

Yes

Comment

I managed to realign the neck, and I am amazed how easy this was indeed.
                      On one guitar I think I got it realigned so the strings are centered perfectly, just on the other they still are off, but not as much anymore.
                      What do you guys think:

and this is the one where I think the strings are still off:

Comment

A somewhat related question: you know how new Ibanez necks have this nice feel as if there was no finish on them? After some months of playing them the neck won't feel like that anymore but will feel like it's lacquered.
                        Is there an easy way (without having to refinish the neck) to get that initial natural feel back? would steel wool do that?

Comment

A somewhat related question: you know how new Ibanez necks have this nice feel as if there was no finish on them? After some months of playing them the neck won't feel like that anymore but will feel like it's lacquered.
                          Is there an easy way (without having to refinish the neck) to get that initial natural feel back? would steel wool do that?

I'm not sure what the best product/tool to use is, but it needs to get rough again to get that feel back. The problem is, that when you rough it up you're actually taking off finish, and eventually you'll remove it all if you keep doing it. I just accept that they get glossier with use, as they still feel better than an actual gloss finish.

Comment

I managed to realign the neck, and I am amazed how easy this was indeed.
                            On one guitar I think I got it realigned so the strings are centered perfectly, just on the other they still are off, but not as much anymore.
                            What do you guys think:

and this is the one where I think the strings are still off:

The first one does look great!

Comment

The first one does look great!

Yup, that's the keeper! Sent the other one back, and this one is gonna get a Liquifier and Crunchlab installed.....but I still have to wait one month, because that was the earliest I could get an appointment with the guitar tech I usually have work on my guitars.

Comment

Steel wool to take some of the sheen off the neck. Good job on realigning the necks yourself - I'd have lol'd in my head if you would have sent them back before slacking off the four screws and bumping the necks over a hair.

Comment

Working...
                                X