What do Explorers sound like?

danswon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Pariah View Post
Think very thick, gorgeous 70's sounds.
Now this is what I was hoping to hear! I was guessing like a Les Paul but a bit less highs.

I'm glad to see this thread has been a good excuse for some classic hard rock wink.gif

• Members

Ah the 'Trick! Possibly my favourite band. I've heard very good things about Hamers and would like to pick a used one up when I eventually make enough money. Are all Hamers good quality or did they do less good budget guitars too?

THIS
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...9QEwAw&dur=276

oh wow I have serious GAS for this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?start...,r:34,s:0,i:46

• Members

LOVE Explorers...as you can see in my avatar....they have a big full sound...pickups will of course alter tones but i never heard/played one that sounded thin...three Gibsons i had had the 496r/500t combo (the one in my avatar i still have)...hot pups but still a fat tone from it...i had one with burstbuckers in it, more of the vintagey lp vibe there imo, still brutal when you need it...im going with the new Vai DiMarzio Gavity Stoms in my Agile Ghost (their Explorer model, also in the avatar) nand im really looking forward to that.

As far as balance, they balance perfectly imo, the most comfotable to stand and play for hours. espically when the top button is located behind the neck joint..they did a great job of desigining it i think cause of how good it feels standing. love playing mine sitting too...no issues there for me anyway...they are big guitars, you have to know your suroundings when weilding these beasts, but seriously its not bad....the cases for these ae apt. size though...but i cant say enough great things bout em....for me they are THE perfect guitar.

• Members

it's a mahogany solid body with two humbuckers and a fixed bridge. I think I can guess what that'll sound like. Hint: body shape doesn't have anything to do with it. The body could be shaped like a dick and it'd still sound the same.

IMO, explorers and flying vs are for a particular crowd, because the odd body shape is just inherently less ergonomic than more conventional body shapes, especially sitting down, at least for *most* people. You should get this if you just like it a lot visually (which is a good reason to like a guitar, I'm not saying otherwise). Otherwise I don't see a strong reason to get one.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NoRomoFan View Post
they feel solid but I don't like them because they aren't a guitar you can play sitting down very well (actually neither are Les Pauls; they are bottom heavy). They tend to slide off your lap. They do sound good though.
I haven't had that issue while sitting.
To me they sit even better because the bottom horn fits my leg just right.

• Members

I have a 85 just like Matt Jabbs played with the L shaped knob pattern and the pickup selector by the bridge with no pick guard. It has the original Dirty Fingers pickups in it and original pots etc. The Dirty Fingers are Gibsons hottest ever pickup and they RIP! It has a mahogany body with maple neck and balance is perfect. It is no Les Paul for sure, they are their own animal and not an SG either I have both and they all have their own thing. My Explorer is the one guitar that I always wanted when they came out with it and now that I am 47 I finally got one...lol! I still need another LP Custom, I sold mine when I got married (the first time) I know....dumbass!!!! LMAO!

• Members

Yeah, I've been looking at Explorers and thinking that, from a practical point of view (regardless of whether you like the look or not), they are the perfect Gibson.
LPs have poor upper fret access
SGs are neck heavy (and not as fat-sounding as LPs)
Vs are difficult to play sat down (and some say they are a little light in the bottom end)

And i do prefer 6-a-side tuners for slightly easier string changing/tuning

I guess the only problem would be finding an appropriate case. Oh, and a stand for it would be a problem too

Ok, maybe a Les Paul double-cut is the perfect Gibby

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by twotimingpete View Post
it's a mahogany solid body with two humbuckers and a fixed bridge. I think I can guess what that'll sound like. Hint: body shape doesn't have anything to do with it. The body could be shaped like a dick and it'd still sound the same.

IMO, explorers and flying vs are for a particular crowd, because the odd body shape is just inherently less ergonomic than more conventional body shapes, especially sitting down, at least for *most* people. You should get this if you just like it a lot visually (which is a good reason to like a guitar, I'm not saying otherwise). Otherwise I don't see a strong reason to get one.
Originally ('58-'63) korina, later models mahogany, alder, maple, or korina

I think they sound like an SG or V, but beefier

• Members

My Explorer was bought brand new in Black pool England I got it from the original owner. I used to live in Scotland in the 80's and have buddies there still that are pro musicians from the band GUN and LaPaz, Doogie White that sang from Rainbow, Malmstien, and now for Michael Schenker. I have known those guys since they played bars...lol!

• Members

Very nice! Mine is a custom shop and has the custom shop edition decal and the mahogany body and maple neck, but doesn't have the CS stamped after the serial number. However in 85 Gibson was in a bad way and was putting all kinds of strange things out as they were trying to get them out fast so they didn't die as a company.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
Very nice! Mine is a custom shop and has the custom shop edition decal and the mahogany body and maple neck, but doesn't have the CS stamped after the serial number. However in 85 Gibson was in a bad way and was putting all kinds of strange things out as they were trying to get them out fast so they didn't die as a company.
Actually the official cs wasn't in business yet so to speak. I've research this the custom shop did limited runs and did the decal thing. Mine is a korina explorer it has a serial number but I was told it was more of a prototype. I know of only one other and his series number is right after mine. His has the older style tuners

In the pickup pocket mine has "Patsy" hand written

Archived