Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 85 just like Matt Jabbs played with the L shaped knob pattern and the pickup selector by the bridge with no pick guard. It has the original Dirty Fingers pickups in it and original pots etc. The Dirty Fingers are Gibsons hottest ever pickup and they RIP! It has a mahogany body with maple neck and balance is perfect. It is no Les Paul for sure, they are their own animal and not an SG either I have both and they all have their own thing. My Explorer is the one guitar that I always wanted when they came out with it and now that I am 47 I finally got one...lol! I still need another LP Custom, I sold mine when I got married (the first time) I know....dumbass!!!! LMAO!
    www.bartketner.com

www.rissonamplifiers.com

www.rosepickups.com

www.claytoncustom.com

www.drstrings.com

Comment

Yeah, I've been looking at Explorers and thinking that, from a practical point of view (regardless of whether you like the look or not), they are the perfect Gibson.

LPs have poor upper fret access

SGs are neck heavy (and not as fat-sounding as LPs)

Vs are difficult to play sat down (and some say they are a little light in the bottom end)

And i do prefer 6-a-side tuners for slightly easier string changing/tuning

I guess the only problem would be finding an appropriate case. Oh, and a stand for it would be a problem too

Ok, maybe a Les Paul double-cut is the perfect Gibby

Comment

The Epiphone Wilshire actually has a lot of the features I like in an Epi/Gibby

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by twotimingpete
          View Post

it's a mahogany solid body with two humbuckers and a fixed bridge. I think I can guess what that'll sound like. Hint: body shape doesn't have anything to do with it. The body could be shaped like a dick and it'd still sound the same.

IMO, explorers and flying vs are for a particular crowd, because the odd body shape is just inherently less ergonomic than more conventional body shapes, especially sitting down, at least for *most* people. You should get this if you just like it a lot visually (which is a good reason to like a guitar, I'm not saying otherwise). Otherwise I don't see a strong reason to get one.

Originally ('58-'63) korina, later models mahogany, alder, maple, or korina

I think they sound like an SG or V, but beefier

stuff:
          52RI Tele
          Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
          more stuff:
          65 Twin Reverb Reissue
          Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

My Explorer was bought brand new in Black pool England I got it from the original owner. I used to live in Scotland in the 80's and have buddies there still that are pro musicians from the band GUN and LaPaz, Doogie White that sang from Rainbow, Malmstien, and now for Michael Schenker. I have known those guys since they played bars...lol!
            www.bartketner.com

www.rissonamplifiers.com

www.rosepickups.com

www.claytoncustom.com

www.drstrings.com

Comment

Here's one to look at. I got it in 83. It's super rare, one of the rarest and it sounds unbelievable

FREE BATOTMAN

1955 Tele Partsocaster Korina Amber
              2007 Carvin V220 Green Machine
              1983 Gibson Custom Shop Edition Schenker reject
              1989 Fender Telecaster Custom Deluxe Ultra
              1968 Fender Telecaster
              2007 Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
              1997 Fender Pink Paisley

59 Fender Bassman
              Marshall JCM 800
              Marshall Studio 15
              Marshall 1976
              Marshall Silver Jubilee
              Orange Tiny Terror
              Orange Rocker 30
              Carvin Vintage 16

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=892909

SURVIVOR

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by realtree71
                View Post

Here's one to look at. I got it in 83. It's super rare, one of the rarest and it sounds unbelievable

Very cool. Weird looking bridge. Is that some kind of vibrato system?

Comment

It's basically a Kahler trem. Although its stamped Gibson patent applied for. Works great
                  FREE BATOTMAN

1968 Fender Telecaster
                  1997 Fender Pink Paisley

59 Fender Bassman
                  Marshall JCM 800
                  Marshall Studio 15
                  Marshall 1976
                  Marshall Silver Jubilee
                  Orange Tiny Terror
                  Orange Rocker 30
                  Carvin Vintage 16

SURVIVOR

Comment

Very nice! Mine is a custom shop and has the custom shop edition decal and the mahogany body and maple neck, but doesn't have the CS stamped after the serial number. However in 85 Gibson was in a bad way and was putting all kinds of strange things out as they were trying to get them out fast so they didn't die as a company.
                    www.bartketner.com

www.rissonamplifiers.com

www.rosepickups.com

www.claytoncustom.com

www.drstrings.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher
                      View Post

Very nice! Mine is a custom shop and has the custom shop edition decal and the mahogany body and maple neck, but doesn't have the CS stamped after the serial number. However in 85 Gibson was in a bad way and was putting all kinds of strange things out as they were trying to get them out fast so they didn't die as a company.

Actually the official cs wasn't in business yet so to speak. I've research this the custom shop did limited runs and did the decal thing. Mine is a korina explorer it has a serial number but I was told it was more of a prototype. I know of only one other and his series number is right after mine. His has the older style tuners

In the pickup pocket mine has "Patsy" hand written
                      FREE BATOTMAN

1968 Fender Telecaster
                      1997 Fender Pink Paisley

59 Fender Bassman
                      Marshall JCM 800
                      Marshall Studio 15
                      Marshall 1976
                      Marshall Silver Jubilee
                      Orange Tiny Terror
                      Orange Rocker 30
                      Carvin Vintage 16

SURVIVOR

Comment

I love Guitar storys

Like the Guitar that floated from Joe Perry to Slash and back too Joe Perry on his birthday......JT
                        1957 Gibson Les Paul Jr TV,1958 Gibson Les Paul Jr Tv,1960 Gibson Les Paul Jr Tv1972 Gibson SG200,1989 Fender American Strat Yellow,1990 Gibson Les Paul SpecialTv2011 Gibson Flying V Heritage Cherry,2011 Fender American Standard Tele Blond2012 Fender American Standard Tele Natural,2012 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top2012 Fender American Standard Stratocaster Charcoal,2012 Gibson SG '61 Reissue,2012 Gibson Government Explorer Limited,2012 Billie Joe Armstrong Les Paul Jr Tv,2012 Gibson Les Paul DC Ebony Double cutaway2013 Fender Telecaster AV72 ThinLine2 Fender Twin Reverbs,1 Marshall JCM2000DSL 100 watt,Peavey 412 6505 Cabinet,Orange PPC412 HP

Comment

= realtree71 Actually the official cs wasn't in business yet so to speak. I've research this the custom shop did limited runs and did the decal thing. Mine is a korina explorer it has a serial number but I was told it was more of a prototype. I know of only one other and his series number is right after mine. His has the older style tuners

In the pickup pocket mine has "Patsy" hand written

Also what is strange about mine is they only made maple neck/maple body and korina neck/korina body, unless it came from the custom shop and mine is a mahogany body with a maple neck, so between that and the custom shop decal that was there since bought new according to the original owner, I truly believe it is a CS guitar. As it was during that weird time...lol!

your guitar is again very very nice!

Here is a pic of mine getting ready for refinish, it will be alpine white when completed with the black Gibson and black custom shop logo's. I am considering the matt jabbs stripes (just as removable decals though).

www.bartketner.com

www.rissonamplifiers.com

www.rosepickups.com

www.claytoncustom.com

www.drstrings.com

Comment

They sound like The Edge from U2. Every album. So yeah, run it through $50k of effects and it will sound like the dead carcass of a zebra being devoured by lions, with delay.

But serious? Just a warm guitar in general - but you can brighten it up with different pickups or make it death metal sounding. In general they have decent sustain, weight balance, ergonomics, and tonal variety.
                            Ashtray plays Fender Stratocasters & Telecasters through:
                            '67 Fender BF Bandmaster

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by danswon
                              View Post

Ah the 'Trick! Possibly my favourite band. I've heard very good things about Hamers and would like to pick a used one up when I eventually make enough money. Are all Hamers good quality or did they do less good budget guitars too?

THIS

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...9QEwAw&dur=276

oh wow I have serious GAS for this

,i:46" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?start...,r:34,s,i:46

Yeah, that's a sweet one. Hamer had an import line too, on par with Epiphones. Pretty much any era of the USA ones are great. People get pretty big money for those original 4 digit serial number Standards.

Comment

The lead guy from 38 Special used one to great effect.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCq4EkzLlQM
                                I one day hope to be the man my dog thinks I am.WORDS OF WISDOM FROM VARIOUS MEMBERS"most often the guitar will rise or fall to the level of the player""people overthink ****************""Sometimes you gotta know when to shut the **************** up and have a little class. Not you, you're special.""If it sounds good to you then it sounds good"The bull**************** and myths in the guitar world are stacked very high.

Comment

Working...
                                X