LP Refret Back From Philtone

FourT6and2

• Members

Holy sheeeet! It was worth the two-month wait.

Had stainless Jescar medium-jumbo put on my '84 Custom. It's like a whole new guitar. But it stills has that thick low-end and mean, growly mids. But everything is so clear! It sounds like a piano! I'm so so so so so so so happy right now. Plays like a dream. Every note is clear and rings. My amps sound better, too. They dig in and scream. Harmonics are easier. Everything is just awesome.

Through my VH4 with BKP Black Dogs, my rig sounds like a high-gain piano.

Will be sending my other Silverburst to Phil as well.

• Members

To the OP, did your guitar originally have the little binding nibs on the neck covering the fret ends? If so do you miss not having them there?

Ive been contemplting for months sending my Hamer Monaco Superpro to Philtone for a full SS refret/Plek/new nut, but I love the look and feel of the neck binding covering the fret ends...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by catalinagoose

View Post

I would love to have SS frets installed on my LP, but I'm afraid someone will do a hack job on it. Where is Philtone located? After 10 years of pretty hard playing, my LP is ready for a refret. The refret on your Custom looks amazing! Congrats.

He's in Baltimore - not exactly a hop/skip/jump from socal! wink.gif.

• Members

Phil re-fretted my #1 about 7 or 8 years ago. It had reached the point where it just wasn't the guitar I reached for to play, too many dead spots; and the re-fret was a resurrection. Since it had the original '70's "school bus" frets, it plays better now than it ever did.

72_lp_1.jpg

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt

View Post

Phil re-fretted my #1 about 7 or 8 years ago. It had reached the point where it just wasn't the guitar I reached for to play, too many dead spots; and the re-fret was a resurrection. Since it had the original '70's "school bus" frets, it plays better now than it ever did.

Ok....I'm bitin....school bus frets?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum View Post
Ok....I'm bitin....school bus frets?
It's a long standing nick-name for Gibson's '70's fretwork. They would level the hell out of the fret until they were short and wide and pretty flat on top because they didn't dress or crown the fret afterwards (something they still don't do). They sort of resembled the shape of the roof of the yellow school buses that are common in the U.S.

2410289429_532c632947_optb.jpg

This is different from the "fretless wonder" Black Beauties, where the fret was intentionally taken down to just a couple thousands of an inch higher than the fretboard to give almost fret-less playing experience.

5040569778_3159124cba.jpg
fw-2.jpg

• Members

I prefer to have the nibs out of the way. But I don't do it to my customer's guitars unless they ask. because it effects the value of the instrument. But SS frets are a godsend. I have a customer that needed a dress every 4 months & a re fret every year. I changed him over to SS 3 yrs ago. It's yet to need a dress. He prefers the tone as well. I can't tell the difference on my own guitars. LP Customs had horribly low frets with barely a crown, correct intonation was impossible. Now you have a great playing guitar that will last a very long time.

Archived