MF ships Les Pauls without double boxing it...

Little Ricky

• Members

Sorry, but that is the shipper's fault, not MF.

I am going out on a limb that the box says "Gibson" on it with some kind of a guitar looking graphic, as well as saying "FRAGILE" somewhere.

It takes quite a bit of force to break a headstock inside a box and a gig bag. Shipping personnel should be doing their job to not throw it around like a piece of Samsonite luggage.

• Members

I recently bought a LP and the gigbag it comes in is pretty thickly padded, plus theres an extra cardboard thing inside the Gibson box to stabilize the neck. Like Meowy said you'd really have to be trying to break the headstock inside all of that. Was the box damaged as well?

• Members

Have any of you ever toured a FEDEX/UPS plant? I swear to God it's unbelievable, like something out of a Dr Seuss book. Imagine the inside of a beehive, or the mother ship from Independence Day, and you'll begin to understand. I'm amazed ANYTHING gets through those places unscathed.

• Members

I recently purchased a Gibson Midtown, and MF packed the Gibson box inside a large cardboard box, with some padding inside.

However, Music123 did send me a Gibson LP Jr Special in the original Gibson box only.

In neither case were the goods damaged.

• Members

I've received guitars both packed well (double boxed) or sent in the single manufactures box from MF in the past. With Fenders style headstocks it's rarely an issue, Gibson head stocks can break if you look at them the wrong way The box itself had no damage so the guitar landed on it's head at least once. Double boxing would have protected it even if that was the case.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by CronoNYC View Post
I recently purchased a Gibson Midtown, and MF packed the Gibson box inside a large cardboard box, with some padding inside.

However, Music123 did send me a Gibson LP Jr Special in the original Gibson box only.

In neither case were the goods damaged.
Hoping the Tribute I have coming from 123 doesn't suffer the same fate as this one then.

• Members

Last one I got from Sam Ash was just in the factory box - not one bit of packing - turned out ok- of course this was after they sent me the one that had obviously been shipped to someone else and returned. Reminded me why I buy local.

• Members

It is the shipper's fault NOT the carrier's fault. The carriers are pretty clear about what constitutes safe packing. A business with a shipping account knows what can happen, trust me. With the volume that MF ships they probably know better than anyone what they can get away with, and I think they take a lot of calculated risks. My LP tribute came from M123 doubled boxed (gig bag inside factory carton inside a bigger carton stuffed with some brown paper). A typical mahogany neck without a volute wouldn't always survive in that packaging. Mine is a maple neck with a volute so the risk was lower.

I've seen plenty of stupidity from MF. I think they just don't care as much about the merchandise as the people buying it. I'm still miffed that they packed a cast iron mic stand loose inside a factory Squier carton with my guitar. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Jeff to answer your question it depends how secure your fantasy LP is secured in its lair. The inside of a package is often times more hazardous than the outside. You'd feel safe in the back of an armored car, but how about without seatbelts as it tumbles down a roadside embankment?

• Members

Oh, believe me, I've seen Smart Car crash vids and thought "yeah the car is pretty much in-tact but the people on the inside must be scrambled eggs". Really not sure why people go all bananas on the internet when a guitar shows up broken though. Yesh, MF could have packaged it better and yesh, UPS/Fedex/whatever could have been more gentile; in the end though, isht happens and you move on. Just call up MF and they'll fix the situation, right?

Archived