Having a tailpiece with fine tuners !!!!

AJ6stringsting

• Members

I finally got my Schaller tailpiece with fine tuner on my Epiphone Les Paul Custom, it makes life so easy when it comes to playing and tuning while playing.
The tail piece sure added more sustain and "thump" to the lower frequencies and the highs seem to have more defined snap. I'm going to add a brass nut next thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by PrawnHeed

View Post

What is the point? Fine tuners make sense when you have a locking nut, but without?

I put a TP-6 on my Gibson S-1 shortly after buying it in '78 because the tuners were so incredibly bad. No problems with the nut. The stock tuners are crap, and that's why you see these Norlin-era guitars equipped with different tuners. Having the fine tuning tailpiece makes it much easier to live with, faster to tune accurately.

• Members

I would kill for a fine tuning tailpiece that fit my guitar. I have a Greco, and the tailpiece is some weird japanese dimension that didn't fit the gibson TP6 that I bought for it. After using a floyd on every guitar I've had up until that one, I find tuning by just the tuners on the headstock to be practically barbaric. Every turn of the tuner is so imprecise and inelegant, I hate using them and am constantly disappointed by the length of time it takes me to get little adjustments on my tuning

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mesa/Kramer View Post
See second sentence in post #3

See last sentence in post #6

See Third sentence in post #7
I can see the reasons why someone might like to have it, but I was wondering whether there was any functional reason for having them that I was missing rather than "just" preferences.
Not that preferences isn't enough

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mesa/Kramer View Post
I've been considering getting one of these for My les Paul.

Should make any on the fly tunning needs much easier Live.

Is it one of these?

1267_1lg.jpg

Gibson TP-6

218467.jpg
I got both of those Schallers : A gold one on my 2007 Epi Les Paul Custom and a chrome on on my 1971 Medallion series Gibson "Flying V". The Floyd Rose has made me love those fine tuners thumb.gifidea.gifcool.gifwave.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraworld

View Post

Gibson offered these in the 80's and they were well received. It's convenient to play a chord & adjust the offending string without stopping. The best I can tell, it doesn't change sustain. Schaller makes great hardware.

I noticed the huge difference in both my "V" and L.P. Custom. When I bought the chrome one for my "V" back in 1997, I just replaced the posts that original came on the Gibson "V". On my Epi Les Paul Custom, I had to replace the the body mount, the posts to slide the Schaller bridge . I'm happy now !!!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
I can see the reasons why someone might like to have it, but I was wondering whether there was any functional reason for having them that I was missing rather than "just" preferences.
Not that preferences isn't enough
Its a 2 inch reach to tweak your tuning with your right hand while holding a chord with your left, rather than a 2+ foot reach. That's pretty much it.

• Members

I'd love to have one of these on the one guitar I have that could fit one. I started on Violin, where it's fairly standard to have at least a fine tuner on the top string, sometimes all of them. Moving to guitar and getting used to only having headstock tuners took some doing. It's just a much more precise movement on bridge end/tailpiece fine tuners. I wish I could find something equivalent for flat-mount bridges/saddles.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AJ6stringsting View Post
I got both of those Schallers : A gold one on my 2007 Epi Les Paul Custom and a chrome on on my 1971 Medallion series Gibson "Flying V". The Floyd Rose has made me love those fine tuners thumb.gifidea.gifcool.gifwave.gif
Yeah, I'm also a long time Floyd user, up until my LP became my number one 5 years ago.
Tunning convienence for sure.

Archived