Carvin and crappy electronics?

cacheek

• Members

I'm not sure about now, but in '02 they used those cheap enclosed box type les paul 3way switches. That and their small pots seem to be the biggest complaints. I replaced my pickup selector with a true gibson switch and no problems for ten years. The pots are still fine too.

Their mini switches are good

Next is the active units shorting out or not functioning.

Carvin pickups are love/hate with most. I like the h22s the best.

Let's compare to gibson.

300k pots?

Stock (490 and 500 series) get more hate than love.

Not much different.

• Members

I've owned two Carvins and the electronics in both of them worked just fine. I have heard reports of the active modules on the DC models having problems though. My CT4 is a pretty traditional setup. If something goes south, I can fix it easily, just like with any other guitar.

• Members

I bought my Carvin H2 used: it's a great guitar but the pickups did nothing for me (it was the baseball bat neck that got my interest. That and the cheap price). Once I installed Rio Grandes, the guitar really woke up. It's one of my favourites.

• Members

Carvin's come a ways on pickups...the older ones weren't bad, but they've redesigned pickups and released new standard pickups over the last 5-8 years. It might be a matter of taste, but I definitely wouldn't expect them to be bad.

And all of the Carvins I've seen have seen/owned had fantastic fit and finish.

• Members

I had the Fishman Active bridge and it gave me all kinds of grief. When it worked I thought it sounded good though. I had an all mahogany body which may have mellowed it over some of the other choices, but I didn't feel the need to change the pickups. Reliability on the other hand, was terrible. I sent it back and the ended up replacing all the electronics, including the volume knobs and pickup switch where were very scratchy.

• Members

I think my switch can make a little noise when I switch all the way from position 1 to 5 quickly. Other than that no issues at all. Really smooth tone pot in particular, I find myself using the tone knob a lot. And I love the C22 pickups. They're super responsive, almost like single coils but with the output and bass of a humbucker. I play jazz, funk, fusion and some rock and they're perfect for that kind of stuff.

Archived