Got my Explorer back from refinisher today!!!!! Pics inside (before and after)

The Crusher

• Members

Here it is, 85 Gibson Explorer Custom Shop Mahogany body with Maple neck, dirty fingers pick-ups, 2 of the 3 pots are original. I also installed new sperzel locking tuners and what a great sounding and monster playing instrument! It is a thing of beauty, I never thought I would like an Explorer until I got this one and got it set-up how I wanted it and it truly nearly plays itself the action is so low.

I attached before and after pic's It is now Alpine white.

This link will take you to my photo bucket site to the 1985 Explorer photos.
http://s27.beta.photobucket.com/user/bketner/library/ just click on the 1985 explorer folder and feel free to check out any of my other gear if you would like too.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mesa/Kramer View Post
ahhhhhhhhhh

Cool................... facepalm.gif

welder002.jpg
I got that for free with 49 hours on it. The guy bought it new and blew up the diesel engine, so they sent him a new one and he installed the new one and had some guy change it and the guy didn't install the rotor bolt that holds the stator onto the crankshaft for the generator and it burnt up the generator as soon as it got a good load put on it. He said screw it and it sat for years. I repaired an outboard for him and he gave it to me. I bought a 9000watt generator head for 280.00 delivered. So I have a new generator for 280.00 smile.gif It will power my entire home winter and summer and also power my entire set-up for a portable gig in the woods or something biggrin.gif

You gotta love that!

• Members

It was originally black and bought new in Blackpool England. I bought it from the original owner and he said after touring for 10 years in Europe the finish flaked off in little flakes and then in big chunks. He said he kind of just left it after 15 years of playing it as the finish was about gone except for the headstock. I swapped him a Fender Bassman Ten for it that I bought for 200.00 bucks. It cost me 300.00 to have it completely refinished.

2 of the 3 pots are original the pickups are the original dirty fingers even the switchcraft pickup selector switch is original. I was considering getting my buddy to make me graphics so I could put them on the body to make it a Mat Jabs guitar.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
It was originally black and bought new in Blackpool England. I bought it from the original owner and he said after touring for 10 years in Europe the finish flaked off in little flakes and then in big chunks. He said he kind of just left it after 15 years of playing it as the finish was about gone except for the headstock. I swapped him a Fender Bassman Ten for it that I bought for 200.00 bucks. It cost me 300.00 to have it completely refinished.

2 of the 3 pots are original the pickups are the original dirty fingers even the switchcraft pickup selector switch is original. I was considering getting my buddy to make me graphics so I could put them on the body to make it a Mat Jabs guitar.
Then awesome. The refinish looks great AND you didn't destroy a valuable guitar in the process.. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post

I'm still confused. It was black and you thought about adding the graphics, yet the pic clearly looks like an old MT explorer. What am I missing? When did it go from black to the MT looking finish?

• Members

Yes, and like the one shown it did not have the "CS" after the serial number either. It was supposed to be an Edge guitar and I could care less about that. It is now a Matt Jabs once I install the graphics. Mine has chrome or nickel hardware though.

I just got it back from being refinished as it was bare wood from the black paint flaking off the entire body and neck except the headstock. The Mat Jabs is not a before pic, that is for reference for what I want it to look like when done. the wood grain pic and black headstock pic are before, the alpine white are after.

Archived