I will no longer ever have Vox envy, ever again.

honeyiscool

• Members

Look what arrived!

67934_10100602581004631_1590231722_n.jpg

Oh yes, the Vox AC-15HW1V64X hand-wired AC15 w/ a custom "Vintage 1964" cabinet and a Celestion Alnico Blue from North Coast Music. Can't wait to put this thing on my new chrome stand and get some demos cranking. smile.gif

Normally, I'd wait to take it home and do a demo, but I couldn't this time.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by grungehack View Post
Sweet thumb.gif I'm seriously gassing for a Vox amp and this is not helping.
Haha, if it helps to know, this thing is huge (especially for a 15 watter) and a bit of a bitch to carry. I'm so glad that I got myself an AC15VR, too, for a more reasonably sized AC15.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttcrust View Post
After the pelham blue Epi 355 I ordered (due for delivery in January), I do believe I will obtain a Vox like this. I think it will make a nice guitar for playing outside in the summer.
Cool! I've always been into the idea of a Vox Ultrasonic.

• Members

That amp you got looks great (I just use my tonelab ST). I enjoy your postings about guitars and other things in general that you comment on. You have some cool {censored}. So, that being said, any recommendations for an MP3 player (for the "AUX" in port) on an amp/guitar ?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Buttcrust View Post
That amp you got looks great (I just use my tonelab ST). I enjoy your postings about guitars and other things in general that you comment on. You have some cool {censored}. So, that being said, any recommendations for an MP3 player (for the "AUX" in port) on an amp/guitar ?
Thanks! Ever since getting an iPhone, honestly, I have had no need for one, so I don't know what the market is right now. That said, I know some audiophile friends who always swear by Cowon, but they're expensive. The cheapest option is probably a Sandisk Sansa Clip, you can buy microSDHC cards for more space.

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl View Post
Nice...I know it's not a TBX, but is that one that Korg contracted Marshall to build?

HNAD!
No, these are relatively new, I think they're just building themselves in Vietnam (the cab is built by North Coast in America).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by honeyiscool View Post
Oh yes, the Vox AC-15HW1V64X hand-wired AC15 w/ a custom "Vintage 1964" cabinet and a Celestion Alnico Blue from North Coast Music.
Okay, now I'm officially jealous redface.gif

thumb.gif

I'd love to give something like that a spin myself.

Besides my Pathfinder, so far the highest hill I've climbed on the Vox line is my Vox AD60VTX which was known as the best modeling amp on the market at that time, and until it's discontinuation. At one point Vox was going to release a successor line the "Black Diamond"s but they decided the economy wouldn't support enough sales of a higher end modeling amp. The last one, as good as it was, wasn't selling in sufficient numbers so it was dropped while their lower-end ADxxVT line continued on.

Mine is one of these guys.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...itar-combo-amp
AD60VTX.jpg

and it's a great amp, but of course it still falls a bit short of being "a great tube amp". tlbonehead is another forumite here who is a fan of the AD60VTX.
But besides some good electronics in it, the neodymium NeoDog speaker in it is something else. It's extremely responsive, but I'm not sure if it might actually lose a hair of Vox authenticity in that regard. The neodymium mags are very quick, but also very light. It's one of the few amps where I often find myself lowering the bass.

Anyway, I'll look forward to hearing your clips while I suffice with my "simulator" biggrin.gif

• Members

I've actually been really interested in that speaker, it's funny you point it out, I think it'd be a great speaker for my AC15VR. It's the G12 Century, essentially, right? It was replaced with the Century Vintage, which I also hear is a good speaker, but the Century is far more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Paul Lover View Post
Those handwire do sound nice - but not sure about practicality. There's no gain knob is there? Is that right?
Is it one of those with beautiful clean tones at house volumes or shake the house down for crunch?
It has a master volume, so it's actually quite practical at all volumes. smile.gif

chassis_13.jpg

And look at that wiring job!

Archived