X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't stop buying cheap guitars

...On Craigslist. Every once in awhile someone posts a Fender Squier Affinity Starter Pak on Craigslist for under $100 and I snatch it up. I slap a loaded pickguard onto the guitar and do mods on the practice amps that come with them (usually turn them into a head and use a better speaker)

I don't need any more Indonesian or Chinese guitars. But I keep doing it.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

It's funny how nowadays the only decent metal around is the theme music for a cartoon that makes fun of metal bands.

I can only speak for myself. I'm impulsive. If I see a great deal I have a hard time passing it up. Then I resell them, often at a small profit. But I do have a collection of about 30 that I intend to keep. For a while I was just buying cheap guitars. Now I look for good guitars cheap. If I can't make a profit on it I don't buy it. My most recent acquisition was a Carvin CS-4. I should have it on Monday. I'm getting to the point where my taste is getting better. I've moved from Squiers to Fenders to Gibsons to Heritages and Carvins. I also have some no name partscasters that I built. But I find myself stopping at the pawn shop every week or so. I work hard to keep my habit in check. I'm working with my therapist on it. But it's an addiction for me. I love electric guitars. I'm just turning it into a side business.

I'm not trying to enable or encourage you. I'm just sharing my story.

Comment

i have the same problem. so I now have 21 guitars.
      The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.
      Lou Reed

Comment

I used to own a lot of cheap guitars. One day last year I got a bonus at work, and spent it all on my dream gutiar, a Memphis Dot Reissue ES335. It was awesome opening the case for the first time. It didn't make me play any better, but I felt like a bad ass when I put it on, and it made me want to work harder to own nice guitars.

Then Gibson had their blow out sale, so I sold all of my cheap guitars, seven Epiphones basically, and replaced them with Gibsons and one American Strat, LOL. After playing them a while, I realized that life is too short to play cheap guitars. Play reasonably priced guitars.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by chipwich
          View Post

I used to own a lot of cheap guitars. One day last year I got a bonus at work, and spent it all on my dream gutiar, a Memphis Dot Reissue ES335. It was awesome opening the case for the first time. It didn't make me play any better, but I felt like a bad ass when I put it on, and it made me want to work harder to own nice guitars.

Then Gibson had their blow out sale, so I sold all of my cheap guitars, seven Epiphones basically, and replaced them with Gibsons and one American Strat, LOL. After playing them a while, I realized that life is too short to play cheap guitars. Play reasonably priced guitars.

I feel the same way about whiskey and beer.

Comment

I sometimes think about selling the guitars and stuff I accumulate. They're really not worth much more than what I paid for them, and I'm not expecting to get a lot of money out of them. Even just flipping a Squier with a set of humbuckers in it on CL, I could break even around $150. It'd seem reasonable as I've got a self-perpetuating hobby... but I have some internal need to hoard these things.

I think it's a problem.

p.s., I don't do cheap beer.
            __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

It's funny how nowadays the only decent metal around is the theme music for a cartoon that makes fun of metal bands.

Comment

Cheap guitars feel cheap to me. And I don't like that. So I have no trouble passing up "deals" on them. If someone put a squier in front of me and said 5 bucks I'd say no thanks. If they said..here take it..I'd say no thanks.

It would just be something taking up space that I'd never use, and the time it would take to flip it isn't worth the money I'd get in return.

My problem is I have a hard time passing up great deals on high end guitars. 2000 dollar guitars I know I could get for 8 or 9 hundred. THAT is tough for me.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by phaeton
                View Post

...On Craigslist. Every once in awhile someone posts a Fender Squier Affinity Starter Pak on Craigslist for under $100 and I snatch it up. I slap a loaded pickguard onto the guitar and do mods on the practice amps that come with them (usually turn them into a head and use a better speaker)

I don't need any more Indonesian or Chinese guitars. But I keep doing it.

any good mods for the Peavey Rage 158 I got in a deal with an ERG starter HSH???
                Rules for a Happy Life:
                Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
                I am happy with who I am. You do not have to like me.

Originally Posted by aenemated
                doc always has been and always will be. He behaves as if he is 18 years old with worlds of wisdom

6 senses, 5 cables, 4 different coloured guitars, 3 amps, 2 pedals, 1 footswitch.
                Statutory Disclaimer: Any advice I may give is ill-informed and is to be treated with the utmost suspicion.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation
                  View Post

Cheap guitars feel cheap to me. And I don't like that. So I have no trouble passing up "deals" on them. If someone put a squier in front of me and said 5 bucks I'd say no thanks. If they said..here take it..I'd say no thanks.

It would just be something taking up space that I'd never use, and the time it would take to flip it isn't worth the money I'd get in return.

My problem is I have a hard time passing up great deals on high end guitars. 2000 dollar guitars I know I could get for 8 or 9 hundred. THAT is tough for me.

I'm getting to this point.

Comment

At least you're doing something with the ones you buy! Eventually, you may run into a turd that you turn into gold...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by PunkKitty
                      View Post

I'm getting to this point.

me too!

Comment

I am a sucker for cheap guitars. I am learning to do my own setups including fret work and I enjoy making a "marginal" feeling guitar play better. The most recent example is an $80 Epi Jr that I did a fret level and crown and "upgraded" with a GFS pickup. The guitar now sounds and plays like butter and will be one I always keep.

Having said that, I am now to the point that a few higher-end guitars are more important to me than a bunch of inexpensive ones.

Comment

One good reason for me not to have expensive guitars? I'll just bash them and dent them and scratch them....and feel bad about it. My cheap guitars can get smacked around and its not a problem. I'm pretty rough on my gear....
                          The most important part of my religion is to play guitar.
                          Lou Reed

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by peskypesky
                            View Post

One good reason for me not to have expensive guitars? I'll just bash them and dent them and scratch them....and feel bad about it. My cheap guitars can get smacked around and its not a problem. I'm pretty rough on my gear....

This is a bonus...and a reason I like to buy used when I can. Also a big factor in the love I have for my '07 Melody Maker...when I notice a new nick in the paint, I'm like, "cool, a new nick!" If I noticed that in my Gretsch 6120, it'd bum me out and maybe ruin my day

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by peskypesky
                              View Post

Hell. I burnt one. On purpose.

Comment

Working...
                              X