Never been a better time to buy a Gibson.

billybilly

• Members

Some of those Midtowns that many bought recently looked sensational and the price was certainly right. I just saw Musiciansfriend is having a sale on Gibson too. Great prices. If I was a Gibson man, I be jumping on something. For a variety of reasons, Gibson have become very competitive with their pricing to the consumers benefit.

Link to sale...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/brows...S&lP=dc&site1A

I dig this DC, 65% off.

DV016_Jpg_Large_430808.002_classic_white

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I couldn't agree more...and I for one am totally happy to see American-made guitars a little closer to earth with their pricing. It's too bad Fender couldn't have gone this direction instead of shifting production to China frown.gif

BTW...can you order from MF down in Oz?

• Members

You are so right. The Gibson prices have dropped soooo low I can't imagine NOT buying one. SGs - a classic, iconic guitar - going for less than $800!

I bought me a Gibson because of these price drops. Will open it on Christmas Day to play what I bought myself.

PICT0747crop.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by billybilly

View Post

Only on used goods but I've done alright through other means with importing guitars. Luckily too, it's starting to get competitive down here, finally.

Are there any affordable Australian made guitars?

• Members

Good to see them join the real world again with their pricing. I've been burned by Gibson QC in the past so I won't be buying but it's certainly worth checking out for those who are in the market. A good Gibson is a wonderful thing

• Members

Agreed, I've been salivating on various Gibson deals since Black Friday, and have an ebony SG standard w/ P-90s en route right now that I got on a killer deal from Zzounds.

I find it interesting, however, that Sweetwater is notably absent from the other online retailers in the recent Gibson firesale. Too bad, because if they did any kind of price matching I'd buy everything from those guys.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by billybilly

View Post

No. lol Oddly enough, you can get a Maton guitar or a Rode microphone as cheap or cheaper over there. Kinmans are made here too but the same deal.

I remember Billy Bragg playing an Aussie guitar-a Dyson, maybe? A really sweet tele knock-off, but probably very expensive. Anyway, didn't mean to hijack your thread...back to the cheap Gibson love! biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by billybilly View Post
Some of those Midtowns that many bought recently looked sensational and the price was certainly right. I just saw Musiciansfriend is having a sale on Gibson too. Great prices. If I was a Gibson man, I be jumping on something. For a variety of reasons, Gibson have become very competitive with their pricing to the consumers benefit.

Link to sale...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/brows...S&lP=dc&site1A

I dig this DC, 65% off.

These are N.O.S. Gibson's, I have that white DC...{censored}ing badass guitar.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by billybilly View Post
I dig this DC, 65% off.

Yeah, I agree. The prices on a lot of these models are in fact better than they were 10 years ago.

I happened to pick up that one ^

and this one v

DV016_Jpg_Large_430809.183_goldtop_R.jpg

16 months ago when MF had them on consecutive SDOTDs for $999.95 each. They charge me tax, so it was about $1088 each, but still, that was a good deal. Although it was a sad day 1 years later when the interest free period expired and I had to find the money eek.gif

But indeed, that white DC LP w HBs has become a favorite LP of mine since the day I bought it. The gold P-90 LP also sounds better than the other 3 P-90'd LPs I have, so it was a good deal. But I've been watching those guitars and this is the best deal I've seen on them since.

Other guitars in there, like the SG Junior (I bought one recently for a higher price from Sweetwater) are also deals that shouldn't be over looked for those that are interested.

But once again, from now on and next year, I'll be trying to do a "NO NEW GUITARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I did that this year and it worked, I only ended up buying about 9 biggrin.gif

redface.gif

facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by harold heckuba

View Post

The quality is not as good of late, especially those weird flat finishes they now like to use, but the prices on these sales are fantastic.

For the most part, I've been having better luck with the tone on my more recent Gibbies. As far as the finishes go, yeah, but there's still the full gloss versions in that mix. My last Gibby is the LP Spc Jr. dual-HB gloss. It was just another $50 for gloss versus satin on that model for a total ticket of $549. Not bad. It's every bit as good as the single-P-90-pup LP Junior I bought back in 2004 for $650.

• Members

I had to think long and hard about not buying a gibson for my splurge this Christmas.
I went with a Fender, but some of those prices were salivation worthy. $500 gibsons with full size headstocks and rosewood fretboards, some great deals out there.

• Members

I think Gibson had to drop the price on their guitars. There is just too much good competition out there for them to try and compete at prices two, three and more times what the competition were selling similar and better products for. With the internet making comparisons a lot easier these days, Gibson's bubble was due to bust sooner or later. It appears their financial stability is not very good at the moment so they need some cash. It looks like the bubble has burst.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
I think Gibson had to drop the price on their guitars. There is just too much good competition out there for them to try and compete at prices two, three and more times what the competition were selling similar and better products for. With the internet making comparisons a lot easier these days, Gibson's bubble was due to bust sooner or later. It appears their financial stability is not very good at the moment so they need some cash. It looks like the bubble has burst.
I think they are dumping overstock and debt because their not sure what is going to happen in Jan. If the Gov. dose not reach an agreement on the fisical cliff issues.
If the automatic messures kick in it's going to be nasty down there.

• Members

So I posted this in the deals thread and no one seems to have noticed or have any interest...Zzounds is selling the limited edition Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top for $1499($1799 at MF/M123)...after FROSTY2012, that brought it down to $1349 and...long story short, I have a price match from M123 for a Deluxe Gold Top for $1245.40 that I'm not gonna use(got Zzounds to match M123's price match)...

anyone want it?

EDIT: GONE smile.gif

• Members

So I posted this in the deals thread and no one seems to have noticed or have any interest...Zzounds is selling the limited edition Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top for $1499($1799 at MF/M123)...after FROSTY2012, that brought it down to $1349 and...long story short, I have a price match from M123 for a Deluxe Gold Top for $1245.40 that I'm not gonna use(got Zzounds to match M123's price match)...

anyone want it?

EDIT: see post above this one

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl View Post

anyone want it?
Hook me up, I could use a 6th LP this month...

Archived