Pickup suggestions for a Gibson Faded SG

vmanmurph

• Members

I have the Classic +/Classic in my '61 RI, and they are the best buckers I have ever played. A close second are Duncan Alnico II Pro (non-Slash version). Both can be jangly, warm, give beautiful cleans, and sound great with dirt. I have Duncan JB/'59 combo in a couple of guitars and, while I like the the '59 in the neck, the JB tends to be very bright. I will probably change them out at some point.

Unless you are playing uber-heavy-lucifer-death-post-modern-apocalypse-metal, pickups with alnico II magnets would work great.

• Members

If you don't want to just do it right and get some BGs, then I suggest swapping the stock AlNiCo V magnet in there (that should be a 498T in the bridge, right?) for an AlNiCo VIII. It'll tame the harshness, take some of the boominess out of the low end, and fatten up the mids, as well as give you a bit more output.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son View Post
No, the faded SG has the 490R/490T combo in it.
Oh, that's right...

Those are basically T-Tops with the wrong magnet in them. If you get some roughcast A5 magnets in them you basically have T-Tops.

As it is, the neck pickup is VERY dark. The bridge is kinda blah.

I'd just talk to Bryan at BG-Pups.com and tell him what you have and what you want it to sound like. You couldn't go less wrong. The only problem is that every guitar you own after that will never measure up. LOL

• Members

I like the 490 set in Faded SG's. I had it in one I used to own and it screamed. I replaced the wiring and it made it even better.

I later sold that guitar but got another Faded SG. That one I put in SD Alnico 2 Pro's to try something different. They're not super different from the 490's and are also really nice in that model guitar. I guess if you're not digging the current sound you probably want to go for a pickup that's more different than the A2P's.

• Members

Well what don't you like about the stock pickups. I don't understand why people assume that they need to change the stock. The stock ones sound great and so does a SD Custom. Most people (including the player) can't tell a difference anyway, especially when running into a distorted amp.

• Members

I like the stock ones in mine just fine. But I'd be happy to help if I knew what qualities of the tone you don't like and what type of tones you would like to have emphasized in the new pickups. The genre of music usually helps, but the stock 490R/490T can indeed cover those genres rather well, especially "classic rock".

So describe it as, I'd like a bit more/less . . . . .

But if I'd take a shot in the dark, I'd say Burstbucker 1 & 2 for more vibe. The uneven wind in those p'ups can create a more complex, almost slightly choral tone.

Archived