Gibson LP Tuning Problems

Surfdude

• Members

I have a 2001 Gibson LP Special. Great guitar. Used to stay in tune for days. Now, it won't even make it through one song without the B string going flat. It has the Gibson Deluxe tuners with the vintage "green" knobs.

Should I change them out or is there a fix for it? I am going to try some lube in the nut slot first but I think it is the tuner that has gone bad.

Surfy

• Members

I don't mind switching to Grovers but I don't want to spend any $$ unless it is the problem. I guess I could switch the G and B string tuners and see if the G string goes out of whack.

My first thought was the nut slot but I haven't had a problem with it since I bought it about 7 years ago.

Surfy

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Surfdude

View Post

I don't mind switching to Grovers but I don't want to spend any $$ unless it is the problem. I guess I could switch the G and B string tuners and see if the G string goes out of whack.

My first thought was the nut slot but I haven't had a problem with it since I bought it about 7 years ago.

Surfy

There is only one thing that will make it slip, that's either the tuning peg or it's not wrapped around the tuning peg properly and it's slipping which doesn't sound like it in this case.

Archived