Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson LP Tuning Problems

I have a 2001 Gibson LP Special. Great guitar. Used to stay in tune for days. Now, it won't even make it through one song without the B string going flat. It has the Gibson Deluxe tuners with the vintage "green" knobs.

Should I change them out or is there a fix for it? I am going to try some lube in the nut slot first but I think it is the tuner that has gone bad.

Surfy
    HC Geezer Brigade #71

"There's a little green man in my head"

Tuner is prob just worn out. Maybe consider an upgrade to Grovers.
    -Luke
    You can trust: Misle, teleman, Teh Bacons, usebigwords, honkytone, uOpt.
    Member of the SG Army

Comment

You don't have to change them all. You can just change the worn out one.
      Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

does it feel like it is slipping when you turn it? Is it possible you just need to file the nut slot a little?
        SPAM:

Custom Wired Strat Pickguard Assemblies - PM me to discuss specs & pricing

Good Trades: PunkKitty, mfergel, Norcal_GIT_r, Chuck1016, Elias Graves, hrcnsfan, ugameus, RosePickups, jelloman, Hookandcanman, Danocoustic

Comment

I don't mind switching to Grovers but I don't want to spend any $$ unless it is the problem. I guess I could switch the G and B string tuners and see if the G string goes out of whack.

My first thought was the nut slot but I haven't had a problem with it since I bought it about 7 years ago.

Surfy
          HC Geezer Brigade #71

"There's a little green man in my head"

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Surfdude
            View Post

I don't mind switching to Grovers but I don't want to spend any $$ unless it is the problem. I guess I could switch the G and B string tuners and see if the G string goes out of whack.

My first thought was the nut slot but I haven't had a problem with it since I bought it about 7 years ago.

Surfy

There is only one thing that will make it slip, that's either the tuning peg or it's not wrapped around the tuning peg properly and it's slipping which doesn't sound like it in this case.
            Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

Do you tune up to pitch? Tuning down to pitch will cause a string to go flat. Make sure you have it properly wound, and lube the nut. 99.99% of tuning problems are not the tuners.
              ................The REAL Brah

Good trades/deals with: Fusion1, SOLARPIMP, Lonnie99, twotimingpete, Tupelo Sun, moon shadow, Florbastang, shooter 123, Wolfboy1, almost enough, meowy, ntmo, lovellintn, fulcrumpoint, matt rhoades, kojdogg, cadfael, Daveydude, DaveAronow, Smithshred

Comment

check the nut first.
                The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

Sounds like tuner wear. Swap they G and B on next change and find out. Since you never had a problem it doesn't sound like anything else mentioned, i.e. nut or string wrap method.
                  Pickups and Parts For Sale...

WTB BG Pups
                  Good deals with Guitarzan1143, diceman1000, narwhal, playdabluze, GibsonVman, TFM53

Comment

Working...
                  X