Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you find..

...that you know more about the products in the music shop then the guy selling them to you?
    Good dealings with ~dcindc x2~alleytrash~ashasha~jjegg~Yavin

Yes, quite often.
    No sig.

Comment

I used to ask them questions I knew the answer to just so I could laugh to myself at their ignorance. I also have helped customers frustrated by uneducated staff, helped them pick out their gear, and then walked them to the sales desk. I should have gotten commission. A couple times the people thought I was an employee, lol.

But in the GC workers' defense, a lot of those guys are just slumming it in bands, just working at the shop to try and pay rent. They might not be as interested as we are in the specs of everything, and they don't get paid enough to warrant the time it takes to learn everything.
      Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

Most definitely. But this applies to pretty much anything else I buy too.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong
          View Post

Most definitely. But this applies to pretty much anything else I buy too.

Lol I research just about everything I buy quite thoroughly, too.
          Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

Yes, for sure.
            --
            Wagdog
            Check out Lunar Commander on:
            iTunes App Store
            Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
            iTunes App Store
            Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
            - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

Yep, I also try to be informed before spending more than $20.

Comment

One time in Sam Ash I asked A young guy working in guitars for a set of strings with a .010 first string and a .052 sixth string. He informed me in a very condescending tone that the first string was the heavier string closest to your head and the sixth string was the thinnest closer to your feet. I thanked him for setting me strait. I told him that for 35+ years of playing guitar I had this backwards.

Comment

Ya I didn't think I would be alone on this.

Almost every time I go down to pickup something I know they have. I get the usual "Can I help you?", so I say what I am looking for and more often then not they have no idea what I am talking about. "One second sir I will check the computer!", then they are gone before I can tell them they are standing directly in front of what I want. It happened with my Squier Jaguar Bass a little while back, my Holy Grail and the Snark I just got. At least they are friendly and the prices are good.

Comment

Went to GC in Lakeland Fl. and the rep told me Martin never made a D-15! Well I had one. He was a young kid and he ****************ed himself out of my buying a D-35.

Comment

fwiw, I don't see anything "wrong" with this. Yes, it's nice to find knowledgeable sales people. But being an informed buyer is where it's at.
                      --
                      Wagdog
                      Check out Lunar Commander on:
                      iTunes App Store
                      Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
                      iTunes App Store
                      Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
                      - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

Yes, most of the time. When I bought my Kemper the dude in the store didn't even want to show it to me. He had no idea what it was, the regular salesman wasn't there and he was afraid it would get damaged as he looked up the price and got scared. Finally another salesman told him 'Dude, you're a salesman, Sell.' I gave him an education as we fumbled thru the accompanying book together.

Comment

Maybe I am taking it a bit personal with this store in particular. I have tried to land a job there numerous times but without retail experience they don't care how much you know about gear.

I like getting used stuff from this place. They usually don't give people much on trade in items and the flip them for only a few bucks more than they paid.

I miss the little M&P shop where I used to live. Ex rocker turned into a cop/guitar shop owner. He knows loads of stuff but often tries to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't need.

Comment

Yep - same for me. It's not surprising though. I've got a post-grad qualification and 25 years of work experience, so there's likely to be a comprehension gap. Not always, but usually.

Comment

Actually, one of my pet peeves is heavily qualified people that beat up on retail staff as if they should have a Phd in the field they work in.

Comment

Working...
                              X