Anyone have a Guitar Center credit card?

chimi

• Members

I have been eyeing a few things but can't afford to pay all at once. Does anyone have these cards? I haven't looked at the fine print but i'm pretty sure they charge you an arm and a leg for paying gear off in installments. Or am i wrong?

• Members

I have both a GC and MF card. They almost always have some sort of 0% financing deal going on so as long as you make your payments on time and pay it off within the 0% period there are no issues. Outside of that then yeah, like all store cards the APR is like 25% or something.

I only use mine when I want to benefit from the 0% financing deals. Otherwise you're much better off just using a regular credit card.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong

View Post

I have both a GC and MF card. They almost always have some sort of 0% financing deal going on so as long as you make your payments on time and pay it off within the 0% period there are no issues. Outside of that then yeah, like all store cards the APR is like 25% or something.

Truth. Zzounds does a multi-payment plan for an extra $10-$18 depending on how long you wanna take to pay it off. Otherwise, if your credit's decent, most Credit Cards these days offer a 6-month no financing charge introductory promo...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong

View Post

Truth. Zzounds does a multi-payment plan for an extra $10-$18 depending on how long you wanna take to pay it off. Otherwise, if your credit's decent, most Credit Cards these days offer a 6-month no financing charge introductory promo...

• Members

You can use the cards for used gear. I'm not sure if the promotional rates apply. If you have good credit you can generally get a regular credit card with 0% for 6 months or so and a much lower rate. While you would need to start paying right away (usually) chances are if you can't make the payments now, you will be just as strapped six months from now.

Be careful.

If it were me I would save the money or sell something and buy what I want. YMMV.

• Members

I have one and its just like any other store card. Its tricky to read the fine print because all of it is not in the information they give you in the store. For instance if you fail to make a payment they will raise your interest rate to the maximum allowed by law in your state, so no interest may lead to maximum interest quickly. Other than that you can buy anything in the store no problem, or at least I have never had a problem buying used gear with it. I personally only use it for pedals and such that I can pay off right away. I'd stick to regular credit cards though for the long run.

GC actually uses Capital one as the credit carrier, after looking I realized my regular Capital one card has much better terms and rates than my GC card does. Maybe you could look into that?

Dan

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by chimi

View Post

Ok cool i've never been one to miss payments. I just can't plop down 4-500 bucks at once. Can you use these for used items too?

You can use them for used items but I'm not sure if that will qualify for financing deals or not. I know that in the past if you were buying a brand that wasn't on the list you could still qualify just buy buying the cheapest item you could find from one of the included brands so the same workaround might work for getting used items at 0%.

• Members

dammm I rather use a major card and get freebees back(can care less about interest rates lol}
I use my Credit cards all the time to rack up Miles and cash back.
I pay the card off a few times amonth online,It might be a few dollars or a few thousands of dollars.
But I have yet too pay a Penny yet on any interest in many and many years..........JT

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by peskypesky View Post
store credit cards are usually a bad idea.
Eh, depends entirely on the person using them. If you are responsible and don't allow for any interest charges to kick in they can be quite useful.
I would rather use an 18 month 0 interest financing deal to get a $2k guitar then actually spend $2k cash up front. In my case that $2k in cash used to a much greater advantage by investing it.

Other store cards have great rewards that are far superior to using a standard rewards credit card. Every time I use my Childrens Place store card I get an additional 5% off. And since I pay the transaction off with my debit card immediately after making a purchase its a no-brainer. Or if I wanted to I could instantly pay it off with my chase rewards card thus getting the Chase points and then once home make a payment to the chase card.

For some people it's best to never use credit at all and for others it's a perfectly valid tool. Some people will also tell you to never do any sort of margin or options trading but if used responsibly those are very useful investing tools.

Of course looking at the average American credit card/savings there is probably some truth to the statement about store credit cards (or any credit card for that matter) usually being a bad idea.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong View Post
Eh, depends entirely on the person using them. If you are responsible and don't allow for any interest charges to kick in they can be quite useful.
I would rather use an 18 month 0 interest financing deal to get a $2k guitar then actually spend $2k cash up front. In my case that $2k in cash used to a much greater advantage by investing it.

Other store cards have great rewards that are far superior to using a standard rewards credit card. Every time I use my Childrens Place store card I get an additional 5% off. And since I pay the transaction off with my debit card immediately after making a purchase its a no-brainer. Or if I wanted to I could instantly pay it off with my chase rewards card thus getting the Chase points and then once home make a payment to the chase card.

For some people it's best to never use credit at all and for others it's a perfectly valid tool. Some people will also tell you to never do any sort of margin or options trading but if used responsibly those are very useful investing tools.

Of course looking at the average American credit card/savings there is probably some truth to the statement about store credit cards (or any credit card for that matter) usually being a bad idea.
This.

All of it.

• Members

I've only ever bought one thing from them (an acoustic guitar, discounted deeply as a Labor Day sale)...they offered extra money off, plus 6 months same-as-cash. So I did that, paid it off before the 6 months, then closed it. All went well. Just make sure you know all the fine print!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong View Post
"Average credit card debt stands at a distressing $7,193 - a startling number considering that if you look at only those households that have debt, the average rises to $15,418."
http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credi...ebt-household/

Know how much credit card debt I have? None. Zilch. Nada. Haven't had any for many, many years. Why? When I want to buy something, such as a guitar or tv or camera, I save up the money and then buy it.

• Members

i {censored}ed up my credit real good when i was a kid buying music gear and it took me forever to dig myself out of that hole because i told myself "sure, i'll pay this off in time. no problem." yeah, didn't happen. just kept buying {censored}.

store cards like that just suck you in to blowing more and more money till you're stuck paying ridiculous interest on god knows how much. that's the trap. and they know it, or they wouldn't even offer it.

if you want something, save your dollars and buy it straight up. especially if it's just a couple hundred bucks.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by aenemated View Post
i fucked up my credit real good when i was a kid buying music gear and it took me forever to dig myself out of that hole because i told myself "sure, i'll pay this off in time. no problem." yeah, didn't happen. just kept buying shit.

store cards like that just suck you in to blowing more and more money till you're stuck paying ridiculous interest on god knows how much. that's the trap. and they know it, or they wouldn't even offer it.

if you want something, save your dollars and buy it straight up. especially if it's just a couple hundred bucks.
absofuckinglutely.

• Members

I had an in store credit thingy here at our large guitar retailer. I think it is every November they offer 0% financing for up to 12 months. It came in handy a few times, I bought my SG that way.
However if you failed to make any payments for the year. Once it rolls over you get charged 12 months back interest at an absurd percentage.
Handle with extreme caution.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by billythegoat View Post
I had an in store credit thingy here at our large guitar retailer. I think it is every November they offer 0% financing for up to 12 months. It came in handy a few times, I bought my SG that way.
However if you failed to make any payments for the year. Once it rolls over you get charged 12 months back interest at an absurd percentage.
Handle with extreme caution.
Which is why I always set up automatic payments that will pay off the item without me havig to worry about missing a payment.

Archived