Anybody use a First Gen iPad for reccording?

Fersnachi

• Members

I have 200 extra dollars and thought I would pick one up just for recording song ideas. (My Laptop is super old and I can't record without a hell of a lot of latency and crap)

Seems like garage band is perfect for making drum loops and just sharing my ideas with the band.

But i did notice that the Garage band app came out for the iPad 2 I know that Its usable on the Original but I'm worried that Ill get really bad input latency/ it will run really slow.

Anybody have good experiences with it?

• Members

What size iPad? You'll probably want at least a 32g.

I can't remember running GarageBand on my iPad 1, but I'm sure I did.

I don't believe you can make drum loops with iOS iPad. The drum feature is pretty much just banging on a fake set of skins. Sharing song ideas, yeah, I think it could work. The only thing that kinda drives me nuts about GaragaBand iOS, too, is I'm not that big a fan of the built-in apps.

I just took a gander at store.apple.com to see if they had any iPad 2 refurbs, but all I saw was a 64g model for ~450.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Fersnachi View Post
I have 200 extra dollars and thought I would pick one up just for recording song ideas. (My Laptop is super old and I can't record without a hell of a lot of latency and crap)

Seems like garage band is perfect for making drum loops and just sharing my ideas with the band.

But i did notice that the Garage band app came out for the iPad 2 I know that Its usable on the Original but I'm worried that Ill get really bad input latency/ it will run really slow.

Anybody have good experiences with it?
I've used Garageband on the iPad 1, 3, 4, and the Mini. It's *possible* to run Garageband on the original iPad, but you really won't want to. It's terribly slow, prone to crashing due to low memory, and was basically never designed to run on hardware lesser than the iPad 2. You also won't be able to upgrade to the latest version of the app because the iPad 1 has been discontinued by Apple and will never receive an update to iOS 6.0.

Having said that, I think the app is remarkable and I use it all the time. I created these tracks using smart drums and the built-in instruments while waiting in hospital waiting rooms:
https://soundcloud.com/recliners-for...heese-electric
https://soundcloud.com/recliners-for...-to-cheez-whiz

• Members

I would agree to save your money and shell out for a Mac Mini.
I bought a 1st gen iPad to use for mobile recording and a possible mobile/backup rig, but it's just so clunky, and all the iPad apps are meant to run independently. There's no inter-connectivity between programs, and so much of the hardware needed for things like Mobile POD are poorly designed, but mandatory.
Also, even super popular apps like Facebook crash on the 1st gen all the time!
You'd be better off with a Mac Mini or a laptop. If you need to show someone a song idea, rip an MP3 and email it to him, or bring your MP3 player, etc.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by algernon7 View Post
I would agree to save your money and shell out for a Mac Mini.
I bought a 1st gen iPad to use for mobile recording and a possible mobile/backup rig, but it's just so clunky, and all the iPad apps are meant to run independently. There's no inter-connectivity between programs, and so much of the hardware needed for things like Mobile POD are poorly designed, but mandatory.
Also, even super popular apps like Facebook crash on the 1st gen all the time!
You'd be better off with a Mac Mini or a laptop. If you need to show someone a song idea, rip an MP3 and email it to him, or bring your MP3 player, etc.
Actually, this is changing pretty quickly. There is a new app called Audiobus, and it is becoming adopted pretty quickly. Apps that support it can pass their data from one to another in real time - from a synth or guitar amp sim to a recorder, for instance.

Archived