Need suggestions to what guitar to get

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Presc
    View Post

Stupid question, but I can't tell from your post - do you actually currently play guitar, or are you planning on learning?

If the latter is the case, don't spend a lot of money in the early going. You'll probably buy the wrong guitar because you haven't figured out what you like and dislike in an instrument yet. And unless you guessed right, there's a decent chance you'll end up selling used for a fraction of what you paid.

My best advice would be to keep it simple, buy a decent modeling amp which will give you a wide range of tones to play with, and re-visit the gear situation in time.

You are correct in the matter of that I am only starting out.

To you I am probably very weird, because i don't want to start with some $100 Fender Squier.

I was thinking mid-high range versatile Superstrat, and I have come past some nice looking guitars from Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter and ESP.

I just can't tell if they're capable of playing all the right sounds that I am looking for.

Comment

So you don't like Les Pauls - if you like Strats - Squier is making some great products right now - especially the Vintage Modified series. If you want to go a different direction Musicians Friend has Vox SDC 33's on sale for $330. This would be an excellent choice. Another impressive guitar for the money is the BC Rich Mockingbird Masterpiece. Also look at World Music Supply for the DBZ Barchetta. For amps I like hybrids - like the Vox Valvetronix series, or the Kustom HV series. On either used will be your best bang for the buck.

GOOD DEALS WITH: ae3753, Buckethead99, CBH5150, DCinDC, Dogfish, Drawdeep, Drivelikejoewho, Duderanimous, Jelloman, Marc758, Newbuilder, Orion23, PunkKitty, Scottd23, tomh777, Weather.at.8, Xupernaut, Zemmy

SPAM: HOHNER TB1 - $225

MY MUSIC:
      My Music Sampler

Originator of the "can I get free picks with that " phrase TM 2011

Originally Posted by Bob411

Nice ass Mrs. Woody.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Snaplit
        View Post

To you I am probably very weird, because i don't want to start with some $100 Fender Squier.

I was thinking mid-high range versatile Superstrat, and I have come past some nice looking guitars from Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter and ESP.

I just can't tell if they're capable of playing all the right sounds that I am looking for.

It's not necessarily weird to want to get a nice guitar to learn on, if that's what you can afford. People say to get a cheap guitar because cheap guitars these days generally sound decent, stay in tune, and aren't so painful to get rid of if you decide you don't like playing after all. With that out of the way, let's move on towards more recommendations.

If you're wondering if the guitars you've checked out will make all those sounds you're looking for, the answer is yes, once you learn to use your gear and learn to play the appropriate styles. You might not think something sounds right at first, but that will just be inexperience. Of the ones you mentioned, I would get the one you find most appealing. Sit down with it, and use a strap to feel the weight on your shoulder. Since you're getting started, you'll adjust to whatever it is. Getting a guitar with a double-locking system will be a pain for a beginner, because beginners tend to break strings more often, and those guitars suck for string changes. However, if you want to learn to dive bomb, then you'll have to deal with that. If I was choosing among those brands, I'd get an Ibanez with dual humbuckers and 5-way switching. You'll be good to go. We can recommend pickups, woods, etc. to you all day, but the truth of the matter is that as a beginner, you will not have yet discovered what you want. That sort of thing just takes time. Any of the guitar makers you listed will provide you a versatile enough guitar.

Your amp/effects are far more important when it comes to getting the sounds you want. Modeling amps are a good way to go, and Fender, Vox, and Line 6 modelers are sold everywhere and for reasonable prices. You can also decide to buy a floorboard, like a Pod HD, Digitech RP, etc. and plug it into just about any amp to get the sound you want.

With your budget of $2000, I'd probably recommend a decent Ibanez S-series (maybe an S-421 for fixed bridge or S-420 for whammy), a $500-range amp (maybe a Blackstar, since you like metal and I think those are geared towards that), and a Line 6 Pod HD500 (if you want some amp modeling) or M9 (if you just need effects). That will fit your budget and last you a long time.

Oh yeah - get some lessons with all that gear! They help a lot.
        Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

I appreciate the help, that pod looks really interesting.

About the amp, I have decided not to get a tube amp as it simply wouldn't be able to be treated right in an apartment, in the matter that it won't be played very loud, and I have read that they got their "sweet" spot which is way over my limit, and it doesn't sound very good when played quietly. Of course I can play the pod through my speakers, but I know that it won't be the same as playing through an amp.

So it would probably have to be a solid-state amp, that sounds as magically quiet as it does loud.

Comment

Even if you buy lower end, beginner gear, that won't be the limitation in the sounds you are seeking. It will be your playing ability (or rather lack thereof) that will keep you from getting those tones. I wouldn't recommend spending that much on your first rig, but hey it's not my money. I would go to a big box store and try out a bunch of different things, see what feels good and looks good to you. Pay extra attention to the way the neck feels in your hand, how the overall guitar feels both standing and seated, and how the controls are laid out. Bring a guitarist friend if you have one.

I think if I was looking for a versatile superstrat, I'd go for a Charvel San Dimas or similar. Also, while the amp is very much part of the instrument, in your case all you need is a practice amp until you get to the point when you're ready to start jamming with others. When that time comes, don't get lured into the cheap half-stack trap. Better to go for a higher quality combo and later add an extension cab, if necessary.

Comment

View Post

No, it does make sense. I am a big proponent of NOT cheaping out. You want something that will A) be a decent guitar that won't impede your progress and B) excite you to play. But keep in mind that the biggest determinants of your tone are your own playing ability, and your amp - not the guitar. So I would allocate a bigger chunk of your budget to getting a high quality amp with a lot of tones to play with, and focus on finding a guitar that is reliable and plays well (good fretwork, setup, etc).

But here's my example. After playing for about a year, I picked up a top of the line Ibanez Prestige RG for about $1200 or so. Over time, I realized it was almost the exact opposite type of guitar I liked. Super skinny neck, ultra-flat fingerboard radius, huge frets, Floyd Rose, hot pickups - these are all things I hate! I sold it to fund something else, and got less than half I paid for it. Ouch. I did the same thing with amps. Luckily the amp I bought carried its resale better, but I still ate some money on it. But the moral of the story is that it took me some time to figure out what I liked, so I would caution against blowing too much money early on.
              K-Line Truxton, Heritage H535, G&L Legacy

Comment

View Post

I appreciate the help, that pod looks really interesting.

About the amp, I have decided not to get a tube amp as it simply wouldn't be able to be treated right in an apartment, in the matter that it won't be played very loud, and I have read that they got their "sweet" spot which is way over my limit, and it doesn't sound very good when played quietly. Of course I can play the pod through my speakers, but I know that it won't be the same as playing through an amp.

So it would probably have to be a solid-state amp, that sounds as magically quiet as it does loud.

It's a myth that all tube amps sound bad played quietly. It's true for some, but on the whole, it's just not true. Many tube amps with master volume controls sound just fine turned to lower levels.

That said, solid state amps are just fine. Honeyiscool demoed his new Vox VR amp here recently, and that's a great solid state amp. If you want a very small one, the Vox Pathfinder is probably the best out there, and it's super affordable. Vox is my favorite, so maybe I'm biased a bit. Orange makes some solid state amps that sound quite good, and I think that the Peavey Transtube amps (if they're still on the market) sound pretty great. Marshall has some solid state amps, and I actually like their micro half stack (it comes with two little 1x10 cabs). Their other ones are ok, but a little pricey considering there are better options out there. Acoustic makes a full line of solid state amps that you can find at Guitar Center, but I didn't really like them at all. While I'd recommend Line 6 Pods, I do not recommend their Spider amps, which are popular. Fender's Frontman series is not very good, either.
                Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

I started out with a Fender Standard Stratocaster (made in Mexico) and years later it's still my #1. I've only felt the urge to buy one other guitar so I could see what the deal is about humbuckers. If you like HSS configuration they make them that way too.

My advice is don't buy something over the internet based on specs. Go to a big store where they have a wall full of guitars and try a whole bunch. Sam Ash has some honest salesmen and believe it or not they see a beginner and want to cultivate a future customer and not put you with something that will make you unhappy. And remember sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.
                  Signature is here!

Comment

$2200 you say.. Then my vote is for a Reverend Reeves Gabrels Sig model and a blackstar ht-20. That should leave you a nice 500-600 for a few nice pedals or multifx unit. The clean sound in that clip has a lot of chorus and delay so it's more about the FX chain than the guitar.

Like already pointed out, plenty of tube amps can sound good at low volumes. The blackstar is one, my 15 watr ampeg GVT sounds great, as does my 90 watt Mesa boogie ElectraDyne.

Comment

Squier VM Surf Stratocaster and Fender Mustang III amp a cable and a pick and your good to go.

Comment

Starting out, if your goinna buy a nice guitar, get a classic one, a Fender or Gibson, depending on which you like best.

Your tastes are guaranteed to change but the classics remain. They are classics for a reason. Chances are if you choose right you'll keep it forever.

Try a bunch of Strats and Teles. Remember you can always change the pickups later.

For Gibsons, If you don't like Les Pauls, then try an SG Standard.

For amps, I think your on the right track for an apartment dwelling beginner.

If you are computer savy and like to tweak, try the Fender Mustang series and the Yamaha THR 10.

If your more of the twist a knob and go type, try the SS Voxes, Oranges, and Roland Cubes.

In fact, if you budget allows after you get the nice guitar, the big Cube is great for low vol practice and also plenty big enough to eventually play out with.

Comment

Look at the Yamaha line of guitars - Pacificas are a low cost but good quality Super-Strat style guitar

Also the new Yamaha THR amps are great for lots of big sound at very low (and higher) volume
                          As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
                          from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

You should pay a lot of attention to the type of neck that best suits your hands. This can make a big difference in how easy or how tiring it can be to play your guitar.

What size hands do you have?.....big, small, average, big fingers or small ones, short or long?
                            Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

The Yamaha THR10 is probably the perfect amp for your situation. It's pretty much made from the ground up to be an apartment/living room amp, works great as an audio interface and sounds excellent. Not to mention it's affordable enough that it leaves plenty of money to get another amp should you start gigging or jamming with friends.

Comment

First, what you are listening to on that video has far more to do with effects than any given guitar, in this case (mostly delay). There are a vast array of guitars that will do that given the right pedals. When you choose your guitar listen for what you want to hear clean. All else follows from that. Once you've chosen your guitar based on clean tone then and only then decide what pedals you need to achieve that sound.
                                WHAT MAKES TELES GREAT IS THAT YOU CAN MAKE GREAT TELES

Comment

Working...
                                X