Almost your ideal guitar..but for one or two things

LynchProtoge

• Members

I find Strats super comfy to play and work with. But I prefer fixed bridges and humbuckers. If the standard Strat had a fixed bridge and humbuckers I'd probably have more strats.

The SG I find just about perfect in every way except for the minor issue (at least with mine, Epi G400) that the neck joint seems a bit unstable to the point where it detunes a touch if too much pressure is applied. Also wish SGs/G400s had a wider variety of *stock* color options. I know they do limited edition runs and such but the standard seems to be that you look at a store/site's Les Paul section and find 30 different finishes and options, then look at SGs and find like, 5 or 6.

(And I'm talking about basic, midrange or lower "standard" models, not the high-end custom/sig/ltd type stuff.)

• Members

My 'ol PRS Standard 22 feels and plays as well as, or better, than anything I've picked up in 3 decades of playing. It's all stock. I don't like the 5 way switch (too fussy for quick changes on the fly) or the neck pickup, which lacks that full sounding LP neck bucker sound. Fortunately, both of those issues can, and will, be addressed (eventually).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by JRicoC View Post
The ESP KH-DC gets big points from me with its 25.5" scale and three-knob configuration, but it desperately needs chrome (or nickel) hardware and block or trapezoidal inlays ...

esp_KH-DC.jpg
I was about to say you can do all that yourself, but for the exception of the inlays. But, then I saw the binding and it would be odd to have mismatched hardware.

Archived