X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Abene
    View Post

It is my opinion that anyone that becomes a great success in life is viewed equally as both a great person and a complete **************************** depending on who you speak with.

To an extent. You see a lot more hate for Ed Roman than love.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Special J
      View Post

Bought my first electric from ECMM in the late 80's. I always loved visiting his shop. He was no more slimy and opinionated than most music store owners I've met, and his staff no more surly than most. I know there were people who had bad dealings with him. I was sorry to hear of his passing. I definitely would have watched his show.

he was an asshat and his staff sucked you would wait in there for over 30 min for strings

glad that place closed and the retards that worked there.

barry lipman was the only cool guy in there
      Fender American Special Mahogany Stratocaster.Fender American Series FSR Chambered Mahogany Telelcaster.warmoth strat FloydCrate V30 headAvatar cab.Bad Monkey.Ibanez WH10 wah.Line 6 Podxt3.Right Wing Forum Guard.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk
        View Post

I'm aware of the various threads here involving him but I never paid much attention to them. Therefore I don't know what is fact and what is not. I did not watch the embedded video.

I do know that I will never accept anything I see on the internet as truth or fact without investigating it.

Personally, I tend to give more credibility to those who provide facts or links to information and less to comments that are, in essence, schoolyard taunts.

You need to watch the video...part of the reason I posted it. If nothing else, skip to the last 2 minutes or so...here's a quote from the Grand Troll himself on the subject of the major Guitar manufacturers,

"Most of them are imported and then passed off as American-made."

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl
          View Post

You need to watch the video...part of the reason I posted it. If nothing else, skip to the last 2 minutes or so...here's a quote from the Grand Troll himself on the subject of the major Guitar manufacturers,

"Most of them are imported and then passed off as American-made."

Point taken and understood. I have no dog in this "fight". I think I'm more reacting to the flame comments i.e.,"yeah what an a$$wipe dou##bag" he was. I know it's what the internet has become more frequently in recent years. Hey, I use those terms myself but feel that they belong in certain settings (like the neighborhood bar :beer) rather than on a stage where the whole world is in on the conversation. I'm just a fool who yearns for a more dignified and informative discussion. After all, the guys dead. Could we be better spending our time?

Honestly I entered this thread just to do some rubbernecking at what I suspected would be a wreck without a thought of commenting. But I got sucked in by the evil interwebz All that said, this is what makes the world go round. No problems with peoples opinions or expression thereof (most of the time )

Comment

View Post

So photoshopping Ed into a KKK robe would make someone anti-black? You, my friend are paranoid and looking for racism where none exists.

I'm wondering why his defenders never address his slandering of American guitar companies-that and his legendary treatment of his customers are the two things that make me enjoy laughing at the little troll(or gnome, if you prefer)

You really are a dim bulb, but I'll try to simplify it for you. Photoshopping a Jewish person who was the child of Holocaust survivors (Ed Roman) into a Nazi armband is so offensive that no sane person could possibly think otherwise.

I understand many people who never dealt with Ed or played his guitars don't like him because of polarizing statements he made and because of the stories (true and untrue) about him, and also because a lot of people go along with mob mentality (re: Nazi Germany, but I won't get into that here).

That being said, you may think Ed Roman was a snake oil salesman or a terrible person. You may have known the man and respected him for his products and his dedication to his family, or you may have known him and thought he was an a-hole that ripped you off.

That being said, I have absolutely no idea how anyone would consider a man like Ed a sympathizer of Adolf Hitler or any Nazi philosophy. Ed was many things and he certainly was outspoken but the great thing about Ed was that he put a lot of his ideas out there that sparked debate (for better or worse) about the guitar industry - which he was passionate about.

For example, some of us may remember when Ed cut open a Fender SRV signature guitar to prove that it was a laminate over a core - which was being sold as something it wasn't.

While it is your right to like or dislike the man (and it would be wrong to say Ed didn't like playing the villain sometimes) insinuating that a man who had a large number of his family murdered by Nazis is beyond sick.

I feel sorry for you that you do not understand.

I'm not going to debate what's racist, etc... but generally when you equate a Jewish person with the Nazis most sane people would find that offensive.

Comment

@ballhawk...I don't have a dog in this fight, either, per se...it's just that no name seems to elicit more of a reaction on HC than "Ed Roman".

I've read horror stories about how he and his staff treated people who came into their shop, but having had no personal experience with the man, I don't use those as any basis for my own opinion.

The videos I've seen of him, along with quotes from industry insiders and the man's own rants make me believe that he was a guy who based his entire career on copying the designs of others, and then slammed those manufacturers whose designs he ripped off:

http://www.edroman.com/rants.htm

I DO find it amusing that his head shop guy, who's been with him the longest, had only worked with him for like, 8 years when the video was made

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by BG76
                View Post

You really are a dim bulb, but I'll try to simplify it for you. Photoshopping a Jewish person who was the child of Holocaust survivors (Ed Roman) into a Nazi armband is so offensive that no sane person could possibly think otherwise.

I understand many people who never dealt with Ed or played his guitars don't like him because of polarizing statements he made and because of the stories (true and untrue) about him, and also because a lot of people go along with mob mentality (re: Nazi Germany, but I won't get into that here).

That being said, you may think Ed Roman was a snake oil salesman or a terrible person. You may have known the man and respected him for his products and his dedication to his family, or you may have known him and thought he was an a-hole that ripped you off.

That being said, I have absolutely no idea how anyone would consider a man like Ed a sympathizer of Adolf Hitler or any Nazi philosophy. Ed was many things and he certainly was outspoken but the great thing about Ed was that he put a lot of his ideas out there that sparked debate (for better or worse) about the guitar industry - which he was passionate about.

For example, some of us may remember when Ed cut open a Fender SRV signature guitar to prove that it was a laminate over a core - which was being sold as something it wasn't.

While it is your right to like or dislike the man (and it would be wrong to say Ed didn't like playing the villain sometimes) insinuating that a man who had a large number of his family murdered by Nazis is beyond sick.

I feel sorry for you that you do not understand.

I had no idea Ed was Jewish...I don't think anyone here really cares. And for the record, branding someone a racist is usually the last gasp of a weak argument. See my post above...Ed made a career out of copying other people's labor and then slandering others-probably out of jealously or low self-esteem.

As for the Fender, I remember that quite well...it's a great example of how Ed brought the ****************storm of negative opinions down upon himself...I remember him being forced to take that down off of his site under threat of a lawsuit by Fender. Basically, his argument was so weak(like most arguments he made) that it didn't hold water.

In short, lighten up, Francis.

edit: how do you "insinuate" someone?

Comment

View Post

I've seen a lot of people bash Ed, but I've never seen anything that I could remotely construe as anti-semitic on HCEG

Didn't you know that if you dislike someone and they happen to be Jewish, that makes you an anti-semite?

Comment

View Post

I had no idea Ed was Jewish...I don't think anyone here really cares. And for the record, branding someone a racist is usually the last gasp of a weak argument. See my post above...Ed made a career out of copying other people's labor and then slandering others-probably out of jealously or low self-esteem.

As for the Fender, I remember that quite well...it's a great example of how Ed brought the ****************storm of negative opinions down upon himself...I remember him being forced to take that down off of his site under threat of a lawsuit by Fender. Basically, his argument was so weak(like most arguments he made) that it didn't hold water.

In short, lighten up, Francis.

edit: how do you "insinuate" someone?

Really? I remember Fender actually started making the SRV guitars the way they were advertising them. I sure don't remember them threatening to sue Ed for pointing out they were selling a laminate guitar. In fact, Fender actually started making the guitar the way they claimed they were.

Fender claimed the SRV had an alder body. Ed Roman did not believe it. Because of the heavy dark spraying around the edges of the guitar, he cut into one revealing it had an alder veneer over poplar wood. Fender was exposed on his website. Fender later started using solid alder.

Comment

I guess it would be an understatement to say he was a polarizing figure? Anyway -- never had dealings with him so can't say much about his character, but I found his webpage to be WAY more entertaining than almost any other guitar webpage. Interestingly, I never knew he was a "landsman" and I'm Jewish, so I'm surprised that the antisemitism thing is creeping into this conversation. Perhaps if there were such intimations in posts they were at a dog-whistle frequency beyond my range...
                      You have the right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it. -- Joe Strummer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by DarthElvis
                        View Post

Didn't you know that if you dislike someone and they happen to be Jewish, that makes you an anti-semite?

Yep...just like a white guy calling a black guy an ****************************.

**************************** is code for the N-word, shhhhh...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bsman
                          View Post

I guess it would be an understatement to say he was a polarizing figure? Anyway -- never had dealings with him so can't say much about his character, but I found his webpage to be WAY more entertaining than almost any other guitar webpage. Interestingly, I never knew he was a "landsman" and I'm Jewish, so I'm surprised that the antisemitism thing is creeping into this conversation. Perhaps if there were such intimations in posts they were at a dog-whistle frequency beyond my range...

I'll be sure never to disagree with you, bsman

and for the record, I'll always have love for ya, if for no other reason than you sig'ing one of the coolest quotes EVER in the history of the world

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by BG76
                            View Post

Really? I remember Fender actually started making the SRV guitars the way they were advertising them. I sure don't remember them threatening to sue Ed for pointing out they were selling a laminate guitar. In fact, Fender actually started making the guitar the way they claimed they were.

Fender claimed the SRV had an alder body. Ed Roman did not believe it. Because of the heavy dark spraying around the edges of the guitar, he cut into one revealing it had an alder veneer over poplar wood. Fender was exposed on his website. Fender later started using solid alder.

Yep, really. Ed was threatened by Fender with a lawsuit...the stunt was BS, like most of the stuff that came out of Ed's mouth. Ask Paul Reed Smith about Ed Roman sometime

Comment

View Post

and for the record, I'll always have love for ya, if for no other reason than you sig'ing one of the coolest quotes EVER in the history of the world

And you, sir, have sig'ed a quote from perhaps the coolest reviewer of Randy Rhodes guitars ever.
                              You have the right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it. -- Joe Strummer

Comment

Never knew the guy, never met him.

Had a great time at his showroom. All the guys there were cool. My buddy from LA and I had a great hour or two in the old location. That was an awesome selection of new guitars. Could've been the best in the world at the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X