PRS SE Catanese Vs. Agile AL 3110

IRG

• Members

I'm looking at adding another guitar to the arsenal for 2013, Happy New Year btw. I have currently, a CS Fender Tele, a Mascis Jazzmaster, Gibson SG and an LP. I want something a bit more shreddery like, for the heavies, but still acceptable for cleans. I use a fair amount of fuzz/distortion. Amps are an AC15c1, and a DRRI coming soon, in stereo.

I want something with EMG's I think. So these two models appeal to me for slightly different reasons. The PRS is more of a modern take on the LP, 25" scale, love the plain ebony board, like the color better, I know the build quality on PRS models are very good. Traditional mahogany body with a maple cap. Only 1 vol/tone control.

The Agile is a bit more like a traditional LP, same scale, 2 vol/2 tone controls, but also has the same EMG (81/85) in it.

I can't try out either before buying. I might consider others, but prefer the LP style/feel. Thoughts on either?

M07965-angle-large.jpg

al3110blueflameemg5.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by revans513

View Post

For me.......The PRS is a no brainer. Althought Agile's are good guitars, I think the PRS SE series are excellent guitars. And the re-sale in the PRS is better.

Thanks, sort of what I'm leaning towards as well. I have an Agile Harm1 now too, forgot to mention that. It might get sold though to help fund this purchase, we'll see.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by revans513

View Post

For me.......The PRS is a no brainer. Althought Agile's are good guitars, I think the PRS SE series are excellent guitars. And the re-sale in the PRS is better.

Thanks, sort of what I'm leaning towards as well. I have an Agile Harm1 now too, forgot to mention that. It might get sold though to help fund this purchase, we'll see.

• Members

Ironic that they would call a Korean-made guitar "Cantonese"wink.gif

I voted PRS...Agiles are great but PRS SE's are better...plus, (while it's usually the final consideration) I always think about the resale value when faced with choices in a guitar purchase.

• Members

Ironic that they would call a Korean-made guitar "Cantonese"wink.gif

I voted PRS...Agiles are great but PRS SE's are better...plus, (while it's usually the final consideration) I always think about the resale value when faced with choices in a guitar purchase.

• Members

Looks like the PRS then. Is there any one place that's better for ordering this model? Seems a bit harder to find, also it's at the higher end of the price spectrum for their SE line (over $800 without discounts). I see one on ebay for $600, but that's always a gamble. I'd rather spend a bit more from a good ship. Is Wilcutt guitar shop in Kentucky respected? nice pic they provide too:

M05581-2up.jpg

• Members

Looks like the PRS then. Is there any one place that's better for ordering this model? Seems a bit harder to find, also it's at the higher end of the price spectrum for their SE line (over $800 without discounts). I see one on ebay for $600, but that's always a gamble. I'd rather spend a bit more from a good ship. Is Wilcutt guitar shop in Kentucky respected? nice pic they provide too:

M05581-2up.jpg

• Members

I was looking at that PRS Cantonese just yesterday. Being a new model its harder to find and slightly inflated in price. You should be able to get in for $600ish, which I would pay. Let us know what you think when you eventually and if you get it.

Good luck,
billy

• Members

I was looking at that PRS Cantonese just yesterday. Being a new model its harder to find and slightly inflated in price. You should be able to get in for $600ish, which I would pay. Let us know what you think when you eventually and if you get it.

Good luck,
billy

• Members

I guess I will have to vote for the Agile. I have not played the "Cantanese" but I have played a couple PRS SE's, including the SE 245, and I did not think they were all that. They were nice import SC's - but there are a lot of those now. Including Corts. My 2 cents.

Resale might be a bit lower on the Agile - but they are well liked here at HCEG.

Take a look at this if you don't want bindings...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...42-has-arrived

• Members

I guess I will have to vote for the Agile. I have not played the "Cantanese" but I have played a couple PRS SE's, including the SE 245, and I did not think they were all that. They were nice import SC's - but there are a lot of those now. Including Corts. My 2 cents.

Resale might be a bit lower on the Agile - but they are well liked here at HCEG.

Take a look at this if you don't want bindings...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...42-has-arrived

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post

M05581-2up.jpg
That looks nice.

Bout time they dropped the stupid Graphic on the Body.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 3volved View Post
I personally would take an EC1000 over both those choices...probably because I've been gassing for one lately. I'm just not a fan of the PRS wide/fat necks and Agile's can be hit or miss.
That's not a bad call, bit of bling, smaller neck and shorter scale in comparison. I'd personally still take the PRS, looks classier.

ltd-deluxe-ec-1000.jpg

Archived