Fat Tele wiring help

mr benn

• Members

Hi folks I'm currently building a fat Tele out of spares using a
Tv jones classic humbucker in the neck
And a fender 62 custom ri bridge pickup

What I want to do is use a traditional Tele control setup ( three way switch,1x vol, 1x tone) but wire the neck pickup to the vol only
The tone pot will only be on the bridge pickup

Anyone know of a diagram I can use for this? What pot values would you use??

Thanks!
Keith

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by akapuli View Post
Why? Seriously...
Because on the other fat Tele I have the neck pickup goes muddy with the tone pot rolled off at all, even just a little bit
So I only use it wide open (it has a no-load pot)
but the single coil in the bridge I would normally use rolled off a bit to take the edge off
This makes quick changes between neck and bridge difficult
so I figure why bother with having a tone pot on the neck pickup at all??

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Meowy View Post
Connect the tone pot to the same lug on the switch as the bridge pup. Depending on the rest of your wiring scheme it may be in circuit in the middle pos.

Check here for more ideas

https://sites.google.com/site/phoste...2-pickup-teles
Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock! View Post
i had that for a while when my tele had a humbucker in the neck. if i remember correctly, you simply need to cut a jumper wire between the volume and tone controls. that said, the tone function will work on both pickups when the middle pickup selector position is in use.
Thanks for the help guys!

• Members

use 500K pots w/ .022 cap and the tone knobber should work on both the neck and bridge. 500K is fine for all but the brightest-twangiest tele bridge pickups e.g. low wind (
only concern i would have with your set-up is if you get a large volume drop when going from the neck to bridge, if the TV jones are like most humbuckers a lot louder than most singles especially 60s tele style which should be low output...Id go with a broadcaster type bridge like SD Broadcaster or Fred Stuart Lap Wrap, Rumpelstiltskin 1950 etc; unless the TV jones isnt very high output then a 52Ri, Nocaster or Lollar 52 bridge PUP might be able to hang with it.

Archived