THR10 owners...

Meowy

• Members

I have the THR5 and I am considering an upgrade to the THR10 or perhaps getting the acoustic specific model THR5C once it is released.

If you had a THR5 instead of the THR10 what are there features exclusive to the 10 that you would miss the most? I am talking mainly about the acoustic model, tone stack, and presets. Recording features and bass model are not something I need.

• Members

Well the bass model is a big deal to me, as is the overall "better" tone of the bigger cab on the THR10. I also like the acoustic model, which I use mainly for stellar hi-fi cleans with an electric guitar.

Of course, being able to save your presets and having full EQ is just a given.

I played the THR5 and 10 side by side when they first came out, and the 5 was never even on my radar.

The THR10 is one of my favorite amps I've ever owned - love it as much as my big rigs. love.gif

• Members

Seperate USB/AUX and GUITAR output controls are pretty handy IMO. Being able to lower the guitar input withuot effecting the tone is the main reason. Sure, you could tweek it on the AUX device, but it's pretty nice to have the controls right next to the others. I haven't used the presets yet, but will once I've loaded some patches some that other players have made, just to get an idea of what others are doing with it.

• Members

I just got a thr10 today from HelloMusic

I wish it was working out for me but it isn't so I plan on sending it back. I'm experiencing the problem of it shutting off when using Batteries which defeats the whole purpose for me. Brand new Fresh Batteries and it shuts down after a very short time, turn it off and back on, repeat. No problem plugged into AC. I suppose I could adjust my playing style and maybe cut back on the drive to lessen the problem but, nope. Don't know if all of them have this problem, if I got an older stock model or what.

there's a thread on the battery problem here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho....php?t=1077873

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BigBone View Post
I just got a thr10 today from HelloMusic

I wish it was working out for me but it isn't so I plan on sending it back. I'm experiencing the problem of it shutting off when using Batteries which defeats the whole purpose for me. Brand new Fresh Batteries and it shuts down after a very short time, turn it off and back on, repeat. No problem plugged into AC. I suppose I could adjust my playing style and maybe cut back on the drive to lessen the problem but, nope. Don't know if all of them have this problem, if I got an older stock model or what.

there's a thread on it here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho....php?t=1077873
When I turn mine up ridiculously loud playing with batteries, it will shut off.

Playing loud not what the THR is about. I get around 8 hours on a set of rechargeable batteries when I play.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BigBone View Post
I'm experiencing the problem of it shutting off when using Batteries which defeats the whole purpose for me. Brand new Fresh Batteries and it shuts down after a very short time, turn it off and back on, repeat. No problem plugged into AC.

Sounds like with it running on battery power, it's running with an under-voltaged power source. The AC power supply undoubtedly delivers the required voltage and current required to operate the amp at 100 percent volume.

Rechargeable NiMH batteries only produce 1.2 volts, whereas alkaline batteries produce 1.5 volts. The problem is probably a bit worse with NiMH batteries.

PS: I own a THR-10, but have yet to run it on batteries.

• Members
Sounds like with it running on battery power, it's running with an under-voltaged power source. The AC power supply undoubtedly delivers the required voltage and current required to operate the amp at 100 percent volume.

Rechargeable NiMH batteries only produce 1.2 volts, whereas alkaline batteries produce 1.5 volts. The problem is probably a bit worse with NiMH batteries.

I think you are exactly right. When the batteries start to run down, I get the same thing. I generally use it plugged in too.

• Members

FYI, I'm not having the battery problem with mine, purchased mid November. Using Samsung eneloops I can play on batteries almost an entire week or 1 to 3 hours a night, Lead channel, Master 11, Gain 12:00 - 2:00, touch of Reverb and Chorus. I use a loop pedal more than the aux in. I hadn't thought about using the battery feature until reading about the problems. Love being able to grab it without bring the power supply.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by chipwich View Post
FYI, I'm not having the battery problem with mine, purchased mid November. Using Samsung eneloops I can play on batteries almost an entire week or 1 to 3 hours a night, Lead channel, Master 11, Gain 12:00 - 2:00, touch of Reverb and Chorus. I use a loop pedal more than the aux in. I hadn't thought about using the battery feature until reading about the problems. Love being able to grab it without bring the power supply.
I play a Chapman Stick through mine. When I'm running batteries, the low notes can make it shut off if I'm playing pretty loud. This only happened when I first got the amp. There's no need to play loud with the THR. If you want it louder run the earphone out to a larger amp.

One trick to keep it from shuting off is to use the online rack compressor to put a limit on your pre-set patches.

• Members

I was going to get a Roland GR55 with the GK3 Midi pickup, however, I've read too many negative reviews ( Tony McKenzie's You Tube review was the Clincher. To quote, "It's not worth the money.") and the price is WAY too high. I re-visited my Line 6 Variax. I dig the acoustic models thru the THR's Acoustic channel. Nice and rich.

Archived