bridge pickup for les paul studio : need more definition

koen77

• Members

Hi,

i have a really great alpine les paul studio 2009 that i use through a modded jet city jca 100 and vintage 30 cab. It sounds great but it sometimes lacks a little definition, note separation in complex chords and the clean sound was much better with my wolfgang special. What would be better than a 498t in the bridge position ? I play high gain rock with a few clean moments. Thanks !

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Marc G

View Post

I have a Duncan JB in the bridge position of the guitar in my avatar which is a LP type guitar, mahogany with maple cap, and it works great for me, cleans are clear and the OD and Dist tones are great IMO.

I agree with the above. A JB in a Les Paul will do for what you are asking. It cleans up real well, which is surprising for a high gain pickup. Very nice harmonics too I might add. I hate them in strats though, too shrill.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Marc G

View Post

I have a Duncan JB in the bridge position of the guitar in my avatar which is a LP type guitar, mahogany with maple cap, and it works great for me, cleans are clear and the OD and Dist tones are great IMO.

I agree with the above. A JB in a Les Paul will do for what you are asking. It cleans up real well, which is surprising for a high gain pickup. Very nice harmonics too I might add. I hate them in strats though, too shrill.

• Members

you could try a p-90 style pickup. I use a Tone Rider rebel 90 in a guitar... it still drives my amp but gives you great clarity. Definitely not a High Gain pickup though, so if thats what you're looking for, look elsewhere.

I also have a Gibson Dirty Fingers in a LP... thats a high gain pickup that gives you great distortion with great clarity. I don't play very many complex chords, but i feel like just strumming basic chords, it kind of allows each string to be heard evenly.

• Members

you could try a p-90 style pickup. I use a Tone Rider rebel 90 in a guitar... it still drives my amp but gives you great clarity. Definitely not a High Gain pickup though, so if thats what you're looking for, look elsewhere.

I also have a Gibson Dirty Fingers in a LP... thats a high gain pickup that gives you great distortion with great clarity. I don't play very many complex chords, but i feel like just strumming basic chords, it kind of allows each string to be heard evenly.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by koen77

View Post

love the responses, as it happens i have a jb laying around. Will try and report back to you asap. Thanks ! Any more suggestions ? What is the 57 plus like ?

The Gibson 57+? It's fatter sounding than a JB, drives amps well, and still has good clarity.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by koen77

View Post

love the responses, as it happens i have a jb laying around. Will try and report back to you asap. Thanks ! Any more suggestions ? What is the 57 plus like ?

The Gibson 57+? It's fatter sounding than a JB, drives amps well, and still has good clarity.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Into Nation

View Post

Have you tried playing around with the height on the 498t?

That was one of my thoughts, and also I would concur that the JB may indeed give you the additional articulation you want. It seems to be a rather versatile pickup for various genre's as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Into Nation

View Post

Have you tried playing around with the height on the 498t?

That was one of my thoughts, and also I would concur that the JB may indeed give you the additional articulation you want. It seems to be a rather versatile pickup for various genre's as well.

Archived