Guitar Neck Width

Steadfastly

• Members

Most guitar necks are 1 5/8" or 1 11/16" at the nut. What is interesting is the results of a poll asking which neck width do you prefer. The results (below) show that respondents preferred a wider neck rather than the narrower neck.

Since most prefer a wider neck, I wonder why the manufacturers have not taken this into account when they make their guitar necks. It can't be because they have found the narrow neck to be easier to finger. All you have to do is watch a couple of classical guitarists with average size hands, who are playing on a 2" neck to realize this thought does not hold water.

What do you think the reason is for this?

Neck Width..........# Respondents........Average

Narrow - 1 5/8" .............24...............16.22%
Better - 1 11/16.............31...............20.95%
Good - 1 3/4..................23...............15.54%
Nice - 1 13/16................11................7.43%
Wide - 1 7/8".................32...............21.62%
Extra wide 2"................. 27...............18.24%

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is something that has puzzled me too. I started out on a classical guitar for a few years, so I'm comfortable with wider necks. And on my electrics. I prefer wide necks.

And on the guitar forums it seems like a lot of players prefer the wide necks. So why do the manufacturers not heed this? Tis a mystery. Unless, of course, sales figure show that narrow necks sell better.

• Members

This is something that has puzzled me too. I started out on a classical guitar for a few years, so I'm comfortable with wider necks. And on my electrics. I prefer wide necks.

And on the guitar forums it seems like a lot of players prefer the wide necks. So why do the manufacturers not heed this? Tis a mystery. Unless, of course, sales figure show that narrow necks sell better.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by w00dsy

View Post

i'd love a wider neck, i've been thinking of building a Warmoth with a 1 7/8 neck for a while but never got around to it, yet. I have fat fingers so chording is difficult to do cleanly.

I have a Warmoth Fatback neck on a Strat, and i love the girth, but i would like it to be a tad wider. might order a fatback or round-back with a wide nut for my Telecaster.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by w00dsy

View Post

i'd love a wider neck, i've been thinking of building a Warmoth with a 1 7/8 neck for a while but never got around to it, yet. I have fat fingers so chording is difficult to do cleanly.

I have a Warmoth Fatback neck on a Strat, and i love the girth, but i would like it to be a tad wider. might order a fatback or round-back with a wide nut for my Telecaster.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DaleH View Post
Tradition
As an acoustic slide player I prefer a wide (1-3/4) flat (20-24 inch radius) neck, but when I built my Les Paul copy I followed tradition. Next time.....

However, to use your classical analogy, they have very formal left hand position with the thumb squarely in the middle of the back of the neck and would never think of fretting the low E with their thumb.

The other arguement is that narrower necks also have narrower spacing at the bridge which allows you to move around quicker with a pick. If you play finger style (as I do) wider spacing at the bridge allows you to get your thumb and fingers down between the strings (back to your classical analogy).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DaleH View Post
Tradition
As an acoustic slide player I prefer a wide (1-3/4) flat (20-24 inch radius) neck, but when I built my Les Paul copy I followed tradition. Next time.....

However, to use your classical analogy, they have very formal left hand position with the thumb squarely in the middle of the back of the neck and would never think of fretting the low E with their thumb.

The other arguement is that narrower necks also have narrower spacing at the bridge which allows you to move around quicker with a pick. If you play finger style (as I do) wider spacing at the bridge allows you to get your thumb and fingers down between the strings (back to your classical analogy).

• Members

But it doesn't show that most people prefer wide, it's more of a tie. 52.7% prefer the 3 narrower options, 47.2% prefer the 3 wider options. If you only look at the 2 extreme options on each side, 37.2% narrow vs 39.9% wide.

• Members

But it doesn't show that most people prefer wide, it's more of a tie. 52.7% prefer the 3 narrower options, 47.2% prefer the 3 wider options. If you only look at the 2 extreme options on each side, 37.2% narrow vs 39.9% wide.

Archived