Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitar Neck Width

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46






    Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
    View Post

    whining is for pussies.




    I understand, you dig conformity. No problems. I'm guessing you have a Hootie and the Blowfish poster on your wall.

    Comment


    • #47






      Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
      View Post

      whining is for pussies.




      I understand, you dig conformity. No problems. I'm guessing you have a Hootie and the Blowfish poster on your wall.

      Comment


      • #48






        Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly
        View Post

        Narrow necks have caused me to disregard so many beautiful guitars. It's been a problem my whole guitar-playing life. I know the standard answer is "Man, don't be so anal, it's all about the music, get over it", blah blah blah. But I just can't play comfortably when my fingers are all bundled up. I've always worked on having my thumb in a more classical position (close to center back), so I'm not interested at all in the thumb over the neck thing.



        I've been close to having a Telecaster style guitar built with a wider neck, but it always comes down to lack of faith in any local luthiers.




        I am soooo with you on this. As Mr. Keller says about hand/thumb position, I prefer having my thumb on the back of the guitar regardless of what I'm playing. I also have been thinking about a telecaster for my next guitar. Have you thought about buying a telecaster, even a good used one and ordering a wide neck from someone like Warmoth? It would be a lot less expensive than having a luthier build you one.
        Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

        Comment


        • #49






          Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly
          View Post

          Narrow necks have caused me to disregard so many beautiful guitars. It's been a problem my whole guitar-playing life. I know the standard answer is "Man, don't be so anal, it's all about the music, get over it", blah blah blah. But I just can't play comfortably when my fingers are all bundled up. I've always worked on having my thumb in a more classical position (close to center back), so I'm not interested at all in the thumb over the neck thing.



          I've been close to having a Telecaster style guitar built with a wider neck, but it always comes down to lack of faith in any local luthiers.




          I am soooo with you on this. As Mr. Keller says about hand/thumb position, I prefer having my thumb on the back of the guitar regardless of what I'm playing. I also have been thinking about a telecaster for my next guitar. Have you thought about buying a telecaster, even a good used one and ordering a wide neck from someone like Warmoth? It would be a lot less expensive than having a luthier build you one.
          Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

          Comment


          • #50






            Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
            View Post

            doesn't matter. i have a Ric and i have an Ibanez. both have very different neck profiles.



            people complain too much.




            This. I could care less about neck width, profile, etc.
            .

            Comment


            • #51






              Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
              View Post

              doesn't matter. i have a Ric and i have an Ibanez. both have very different neck profiles.



              people complain too much.




              This. I could care less about neck width, profile, etc.
              .

              Comment


              • #52






                Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly
                View Post

                I understand, you dig conformity. No problems. I'm guessing you have a Hootie and the Blowfish poster on your wall.




                lol.



                go play the bass for a while, then come back to the guitar. you'll see just how little it matters.
                The Common Sense Mets Fan

                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

                Comment


                • #53






                  Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Friendly
                  View Post

                  I understand, you dig conformity. No problems. I'm guessing you have a Hootie and the Blowfish poster on your wall.




                  lol.



                  go play the bass for a while, then come back to the guitar. you'll see just how little it matters.
                  The Common Sense Mets Fan

                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

                  Comment


                  • #54






                    Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl
                    View Post

                    This. I could care less about neck width, profile, etc.




                    how much less?
                    The Common Sense Mets Fan

                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

                    Comment


                    • #55






                      Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl
                      View Post

                      This. I could care less about neck width, profile, etc.




                      how much less?
                      The Common Sense Mets Fan

                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

                      Comment


                      • #56






                        Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl
                        View Post

                        This. I could care less about neck width, profile, etc.




                        how much less?
                        The Common Sense Mets Fan

                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

                        Comment


                        • #57






                          Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl
                          View Post

                          This. I could care less about neck width, profile, etc.




                          how much less?
                          The Common Sense Mets Fan

                          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

                          Comment


                          • #58






                            Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
                            View Post

                            how much less?




                            It's funny you mentioned the bass...I started on electric bass, then switched to upright before ever learning more than "Smoke on the Water" on guitar. Now that I play more guitar than bass, I just don't get how anyone could really have an issue with the neck size/shape on a guitar.



                            A great dis-service I see repeatedly on the forum is when someone stresses to a novice guitarist how important it is that they find a guitar neck that's the correct size and shape for them.
                            .

                            Comment


                            • #59






                              Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
                              View Post

                              how much less?




                              It's funny you mentioned the bass...I started on electric bass, then switched to upright before ever learning more than "Smoke on the Water" on guitar. Now that I play more guitar than bass, I just don't get how anyone could really have an issue with the neck size/shape on a guitar.



                              A great dis-service I see repeatedly on the forum is when someone stresses to a novice guitarist how important it is that they find a guitar neck that's the correct size and shape for them.
                              .

                              Comment


                              • #60






                                Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
                                View Post

                                lol.



                                go play the bass for a while, then come back to the guitar. you'll see just how little it matters.




                                Take a picture of your hands and post it in this thread. Then we will all see why it doesn't matter to you.



                                We don't seen any 6' 6", 250lb. people driving Honda Civics doe we? Why, because it's too uncomfortable. The same with musical instruments like guitar. We are not all the same.



                                If it didn't matter many pros would not have a wide neck on their guitars.
                                Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

                                Comment



                                Working...
                                X