Free VSTs Surprise Me (clips inside)

LesPaulFetish

• Members

So I picked up an interface last week and have finally deciphered Reaper and made it work. After downloading Amplitube and playing around with a few trial amps, nothing really blew my pants off but they sounded ok for what they are. I literally googled "free ___ VST" and ended up running TSE808 -> LePou456 -> GreenGate -> LeCab V1 into Reaper. Double tracked and panned a bit, it's not too bad. Not perfect, and I probably haven't played with it enough, but both amp sims are Engl models and the one in Amplitube costs like 30 bucks and is mega scooped. The setup in clip one would cost like 60 bucks, with a noise gate and tube screamer.

The track I tested this out on was Up In Smoke by the Holly Springs Disaster (sick track if you like hardcore); the first one is Amplitube (the one without 2 in the title biggrin.gif ), the second is the free VST's (I made a much better better effort at playing in the second clip as well, the first one has a loooot of mistakes/sucks pretty hard. Second one isn't perfect, but much better). Anyways, you guys have free VSTs you use and care to share? Any recording techniques to get a better sound? All I did was dial the amp a bit, put the tube screamer to full volume/no gain, play with the gate and go with no post EQ.

https://soundcloud.com/lettuceshredder

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
The Recording Forum has a sticky "Who needs pirating?" filled with links and reviews of free stuff, although I believe they're more about FX plugins.
Ah, that's still useful. I'll check it out, thanks.

Also, there are no guitarless backing tracks that I've seen for that song so I kind of just dialed back the actual song and played over it so that the recorded guitars in the song wouldn't change the tone too much. Sounds a bit strange, but I couldn't think of anything better.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
The Recording Forum has a sticky "Who needs pirating?" filled with links and reviews of free stuff, although I believe they're more about FX plugins.
Ah, that's still useful. I'll check it out, thanks.

Also, there are no guitarless backing tracks that I've seen for that song so I kind of just dialed back the actual song and played over it so that the recorded guitars in the song wouldn't change the tone too much. Sounds a bit strange, but I couldn't think of anything better.

Archived