nut 'ping' sound, driving me nuts...

budalash

• Members

Hi all, I just got my Music man axis super sport back from a pro setup and I noticed the 'chink' sound when bending B and G strings. This problem wasn't there before the setup so I find it weird that it's there now but anyway...I tried fixing it with pencil graphite, it's still there. What do you suggest? Also, what book on setting up and maintaining guitars can you recommend, I am sick and tired of professionals in my area, it's about time I started doing setups on my own!

Thanks!

• Members

I'd take it back to the pro. The nut slot needs some attention. Lubricating the slot will only mask the symptoms, but I also do that as well with Stewmac Guitar Grease.

Getting a nut right is imo the most difficult part of setting up an electric, but if you want to diy then buy the nut kit from Stewart MacDonalds and it comes with a dvd.

• Members

I'd take it back to the pro. The nut slot needs some attention. Lubricating the slot will only mask the symptoms, but I also do that as well with Stewmac Guitar Grease.

Getting a nut right is imo the most difficult part of setting up an electric, but if you want to diy then buy the nut kit from Stewart MacDonalds and it comes with a dvd.

• Members

+1 to all the nut not cut properly for the guage

The nut file set in my tool kit is the most used by far and best $50 I have ever spent on guitar related gear. I got the norman file set 5+ years back on ebay but havent seen listings in the last few years (being an 8 piece it has some flexability and I have been able to use it for 9-11 guage electics and also acoustics).

Stewmacs are a little expensive but if you are pretty set on gauges, i.e. nothing but 10s I would hand pick a 6 pc set from this:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...ing_Files.html

• Members

+1 to all the nut not cut properly for the guage

The nut file set in my tool kit is the most used by far and best $50 I have ever spent on guitar related gear. I got the norman file set 5+ years back on ebay but havent seen listings in the last few years (being an 8 piece it has some flexability and I have been able to use it for 9-11 guage electics and also acoustics).

Stewmacs are a little expensive but if you are pretty set on gauges, i.e. nothing but 10s I would hand pick a 6 pc set from this:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...ing_Files.html

• Members

So, I cannot take the guitar back to the shop as it's been closed for a while, I have to wait until the end of the week. In the meantime I bought a set of 0.09s and the problem is still there. Obviously the string gauge is not the problem, which makes sense as the same gauge, 0,10 Ernie Ball cobalts were on the guitar before the setup. The guy who did the setup did mention that he adjusted the truss rod a bit. Could this be the problem? If it is, I don't know what I should do as the neck is indeed perfect now...Any other suggestions on what the solution could be, if the nut is not the culprit, and it looks like it isn't...Thanks!

• Members

So, I cannot take the guitar back to the shop as it's been closed for a while, I have to wait until the end of the week. In the meantime I bought a set of 0.09s and the problem is still there. Obviously the string gauge is not the problem, which makes sense as the same gauge, 0,10 Ernie Ball cobalts were on the guitar before the setup. The guy who did the setup did mention that he adjusted the truss rod a bit. Could this be the problem? If it is, I don't know what I should do as the neck is indeed perfect now...Any other suggestions on what the solution could be, if the nut is not the culprit, and it looks like it isn't...Thanks!

• Members

On a side note, I tried a set of those Cobolts and hated them. I took them off within an hour of playing on them, threw them in the trash, and put some Slinkys on instead. They seemed to have a looser wind? I'm not sure what it was, but they just didn't feel right to me.

• Members

On a side note, I tried a set of those Cobolts and hated them. I took them off within an hour of playing on them, threw them in the trash, and put some Slinkys on instead. They seemed to have a looser wind? I'm not sure what it was, but they just didn't feel right to me.

Archived