No announcement yet.

nut 'ping' sound, driving me nuts...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 to all the nut not cut properly for the guage

The nut file set in my tool kit is the most used by far and best $50 I have ever spent on guitar related gear. I got the norman file set 5+ years back on ebay but havent seen listings in the last few years (being an 8 piece it has some flexability and I have been able to use it for 9-11 guage electics and also acoustics).

Stewmacs are a little expensive but if you are pretty set on gauges, i.e. nothing but 10s I would hand pick a 6 pc set from this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...ing_Files.html
    Pickups and Parts For Sale...

WTB BG Pups
    Good deals with Guitarzan1143, diceman1000, narwhal, playdabluze, GibsonVman, TFM53

Comment

+1 to all the nut not cut properly for the guage

The nut file set in my tool kit is the most used by far and best $50 I have ever spent on guitar related gear. I got the norman file set 5+ years back on ebay but havent seen listings in the last few years (being an 8 piece it has some flexability and I have been able to use it for 9-11 guage electics and also acoustics).

Stewmacs are a little expensive but if you are pretty set on gauges, i.e. nothing but 10s I would hand pick a 6 pc set from this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Sp...ing_Files.html
      Pickups and Parts For Sale...

WTB BG Pups
      Good deals with Guitarzan1143, diceman1000, narwhal, playdabluze, GibsonVman, TFM53

Comment

So, I cannot take the guitar back to the shop as it's been closed for a while, I have to wait until the end of the week. In the meantime I bought a set of 0.09s and the problem is still there. Obviously the string gauge is not the problem, which makes sense as the same gauge, 0,10 Ernie Ball cobalts were on the guitar before the setup. The guy who did the setup did mention that he adjusted the truss rod a bit. Could this be the problem? If it is, I don't know what I should do as the neck is indeed perfect now...Any other suggestions on what the solution could be, if the nut is not the culprit, and it looks like it isn't...Thanks!
        "Really the only way you can get good, unless you are a genius, is to copy" Ritchie Blackmore

Comment

So, I cannot take the guitar back to the shop as it's been closed for a while, I have to wait until the end of the week. In the meantime I bought a set of 0.09s and the problem is still there. Obviously the string gauge is not the problem, which makes sense as the same gauge, 0,10 Ernie Ball cobalts were on the guitar before the setup. The guy who did the setup did mention that he adjusted the truss rod a bit. Could this be the problem? If it is, I don't know what I should do as the neck is indeed perfect now...Any other suggestions on what the solution could be, if the nut is not the culprit, and it looks like it isn't...Thanks!
          "Really the only way you can get good, unless you are a genius, is to copy" Ritchie Blackmore

Comment

No, it's not the truss rod giving you issues. I don't see how it could be anything other than the nut.

Comment

No, it's not the truss rod giving you issues. I don't see how it could be anything other than the nut.

Comment

On a side note, I tried a set of those Cobolts and hated them. I took them off within an hour of playing on them, threw them in the trash, and put some Slinkys on instead. They seemed to have a looser wind? I'm not sure what it was, but they just didn't feel right to me.

Comment

On a side note, I tried a set of those Cobolts and hated them. I took them off within an hour of playing on them, threw them in the trash, and put some Slinkys on instead. They seemed to have a looser wind? I'm not sure what it was, but they just didn't feel right to me.

Comment

A quick and dirty fix can be to take the next larger string (a D for a G, for instance) and rub it through the slot LIGHTLY; you're trying to widen the sides, not deepen the bottom.
                    LarryProud Member: Mazi Bee MilitaGreat deals With: messiahofevil, Belt. xtchc1978, baddmann28, Overwhelmed987,OldGtrNovice,Ejendres and SlaveUnitWon't deal with: Bluesmann (counterfeit guitar fan)

Comment

A quick and dirty fix can be to take the next larger string (a D for a G, for instance) and rub it through the slot LIGHTLY; you're trying to widen the sides, not deepen the bottom.
                      LarryProud Member: Mazi Bee MilitaGreat deals With: messiahofevil, Belt. xtchc1978, baddmann28, Overwhelmed987,OldGtrNovice,Ejendres and SlaveUnitWon't deal with: Bluesmann (counterfeit guitar fan)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
                        View Post

The nut needs to be cut properly for the current string gauge.

the answer........is this /
                        "The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought"
                        Sir Thomas Beecham

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
                          View Post

The nut needs to be cut properly for the current string gauge.

the answer........is this /
                          "The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought"
                          Sir Thomas Beecham

Comment

The nut is the issue.

My experience has been, when there are tuning issues, that the nut is to blame 99.9% of the time. Bridge saddles, MAYBE, but it's usually the nut.

Pencil graphite usually clears it up. I have a set of propane torch cleaner things that I use to clean up / shape nut slots and they work well enough for me. At some point I'd like to get a set of real nut files.
                            --
                            Wagdog
                            Check out Lunar Commander on:
                            iTunes App Store
                            Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
                            iTunes App Store
                            Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
                            - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

The nut is the issue.

My experience has been, when there are tuning issues, that the nut is to blame 99.9% of the time. Bridge saddles, MAYBE, but it's usually the nut.

Pencil graphite usually clears it up. I have a set of propane torch cleaner things that I use to clean up / shape nut slots and they work well enough for me. At some point I'd like to get a set of real nut files.
                              --
                              Wagdog
                              Check out Lunar Commander on:
                              iTunes App Store
                              Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
                              iTunes App Store
                              Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
                              - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

What's confusing is that there was no problem before the setup. If it was the nut I would have noticed it a long time ago...weird. The guitar was re-strung with the same gauge, 0,10s

Comment

Working...
                                X