Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nut 'ping' sound, driving me nuts...

Hi all, I just got my Music man axis super sport back from a pro setup and I noticed the 'chink' sound when bending B and G strings. This problem wasn't there before the setup so I find it weird that it's there now but anyway...I tried fixing it with pencil graphite, it's still there. What do you suggest? Also, what book on setting up and maintaining guitars can you recommend, I am sick and tired of professionals in my area, it's about time I started doing setups on my own!

Thanks!
    "Really the only way you can get good, unless you are a genius, is to copy" Ritchie Blackmore

I believe this book is widely considered to be one of the best setup guides around.

As far as the setup, did you have them change string gauges?
    Guitars Canada - Guitar Forum for Canadians

Comment

I believe this book is widely considered to be one of the best setup guides around.

As far as the setup, did you have them change string gauges?
      Guitars Canada - Guitar Forum for Canadians

Comment

I'd take it back to the pro. The nut slot needs some attention. Lubricating the slot will only mask the symptoms, but I also do that as well with Stewmac Guitar Grease.

Getting a nut right is imo the most difficult part of setting up an electric, but if you want to diy then buy the nut kit from Stewart MacDonalds and it comes with a dvd.

Comment

I'd take it back to the pro. The nut slot needs some attention. Lubricating the slot will only mask the symptoms, but I also do that as well with Stewmac Guitar Grease.

Getting a nut right is imo the most difficult part of setting up an electric, but if you want to diy then buy the nut kit from Stewart MacDonalds and it comes with a dvd.

Comment

The nut needs to be cut properly for the current string gauge.
            ♪ Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll

I Surf therefore I am.
            Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE

Originally Posted by Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop

The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it "sounds better". Poppycock.

Comment

The nut needs to be cut properly for the current string gauge.
              ♪ Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll

I Surf therefore I am.
              Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE

Originally Posted by Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop

The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it "sounds better". Poppycock.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt responses everyone! I didn't change the gauge, Ernie Ball cobalt 0,10s. I will probably take it back to the guy, that's a good suggestion...And that book looks like it's exactly what I need! Cheers!
                "Really the only way you can get good, unless you are a genius, is to copy" Ritchie Blackmore

Comment

Thanks for the prompt responses everyone! I didn't change the gauge, Ernie Ball cobalt 0,10s. I will probably take it back to the guy, that's a good suggestion...And that book looks like it's exactly what I need! Cheers!

Comment

I think the Axis Supersport comes with 9s from the factory. It might just be the brand new 10s are catching a little.

Comment

I think the Axis Supersport comes with 9s from the factory. It might just be the brand new 10s are catching a little.

Comment

I was gonna say pencil graphite, but you already did that.

Yeah, take it back to the guy who set it up. Odds are it just needs to be a hair wider.
                        --
                        Wagdog
                        Check out Lunar Commander on:
                        iTunes App Store
                        Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
                        iTunes App Store
                        Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
                        - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

I was gonna say pencil graphite, but you already did that.

Yeah, take it back to the guy who set it up. Odds are it just needs to be a hair wider.
                          --
                          Wagdog
                          Check out Lunar Commander on:
                          iTunes App Store
                          Google Play

Lunar Commander Lite - FREE!:
                          iTunes App Store
                          Google Play

Free Fireworks Show for Android

"Albert King could blow Eddie Van Halen away with his amp on stand-by"
                          - Joe Walsh

Good Transactions: Doctor Morbius(x2), Cadfael, bg-pups.com(x2), DCinDC, twotimingpete, dwerlin, DaleH, chqtarzan, sxyryan, lowbrow, albertus, vintage clubber

Comment

Loosen strings a little and put some chapstick in the nut slots. Do the same after every string change a tube will last you a long long time.

Comment

Loosen strings a little and put some chapstick in the nut slots. Do the same after every string change a tube will last you a long long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X