Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Anderson vs. Suhr: Let's start the year with a debate!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My proudly chambered Joe Bonamassa Studio says "no problems here!" Traditionalist are just too anal about stuff. There is probably someone out there ready to shoot the place up if they ever change the type of glue they use.. Idiots, all of em!
    Signature...

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by RaVenCAD
      View Post

My proudly chambered Joe Bonamassa Studio says "no problems here!" Traditionalist are just too anal about stuff. There is probably someone out there ready to shoot the place up if they ever change the type of glue they use.. Idiots, all of em!

What's it to you what an informed buyer decides to not spend his money on? If I don't want a chambered guitar, I'm not buying one. How it sounds to you is irrelevant.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by RaVenCAD
        View Post

It's funny, custom builders call chambering an option and charge you extra for it, while Gibson is raked across the coals for doing it (for free)... Guitar players

The implication is that Gibson started chambering their Les Pauls (without telling anyone) so that they could use cheaper - and heavier - palettes of mahogany for the body wood, thus lowering their costs while keeping prices the same.
        Originally Posted by Warren Buffett

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

Member of the Hamer Squad

Founder of the Danelectro Horde

Third Cousin of The Orange-y Family

Good dealings with: GreatDane, Norcal_GIT_r (x2), solly, puckman, rydia is hot, 98 les paul, JerEvil

MY GUITARS

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by elsupermanny14
          View Post

But it comes down to playability.

Bingo! Go to the head of the class. It helps if they look nice too, but it can look fantastic and not easily played as some have told us who have bought expensive guitars that are supposed to have a good reputation for being one of the best.
          Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by BigTimeFun
            View Post

On a LP it's a sneaky middle of the night change in design that most buyers weren't looking for.

'Sneaky middle of the night?' I think that is your opinion - I read all of the time how 'Les Pauls are too heavy' and on and on so it seems that many buyers were looking for it. I actually know players who don't want a non chambered Les Paul.
            President and CEO of The Foundation Of Right
            Also President and CEO of The Foundation Of Wrong

Originally Posted by StankNasty

the dream isn't in your parents' basement

Comment

• They've been weight relieved for decades, this is nothing new. Only where they removed the material from.

I do want a chambered Silverjet, I do not want a chambered Les Paul.

I've owned a Custom before and sold it due to weight, I get it. A Traditional weighs (about) the same as a Standard; one is chambered, one is swiss-cheesed. That's why they have two different models (and one costs $400 more than the other).

Comment

• where's this "middle of the night" **************** coming from? it was well known that Gibson started chambering their standard line months before they hit the racks. while i agree that it's a regression of spec for the same price, it solved two problems at once. can't really blame them for it. it's one of the few things they've done to the line that is excusable.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!
                  View Post

where's this "middle of the night" **************** coming from? it was well known that Gibson started chambering their standard line months before they hit the racks. while i agree that it's a regression of spec for the same price, it solved two problems at once. can't really blame them for it. it's one of the few things they've done to the line that is excusable.

Because the changed model got the legacy name (standard), and the old model got a new name (traditional).

That's not a sneaky move in your eyes?

Comment

View Post

What's it to you what an informed buyer decides to not spend his money on? If I don't want a chambered guitar, I'm not buying one. How it sounds to you is irrelevant.

You've sniffed a few corks too many..
                    Signature...

Comment

• ^ Thank you kind sir.
                      Originally Posted by Hopeless

I wouldn't recommend them for metal, but then I also wouldn't recommend playing metal.

Originally Posted by Django Sentenza

When you've founded an entire branch of science dedicated to quantifying taste, get back to me.

Comment

View Post

Because the changed model got the legacy name (standard), and the old model got a new name (traditional).

That's not a sneaky move in your eyes?

I agree. Many of the changes gibson makes roll out very very quietly. And when they do they are almost always changes that provide zero benefit to the consumer but cost savings for them...like circuit boards, or short neck tenons....Or the changes like chambers, or weight relief holes, which are probably beneficial to over all sound, still are drastic changes to the construction of what one thinks of with a Les Paul. But then when they go back to a long tenon for example...they promote it much more noticeably.

To me it's just slimy business practice, and one of the reasons I'll never buy a gibson. There are plenty of companies that don't try to shave the corners of cost, provide superior features to gibson, higher over all quality, and at a lower price. Pretty easy choice for me.

Comment

• They're both AMAZING guitar makers - perfect every time right from the start. Lots of high-end makers are producing perfect guitars now, but I've still not played a bolt-on electric that that feels and sounds as good as an Anderson.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by fretless
                            View Post

That is the most sensible post in this thread so far.
                            President and CEO of The Foundation Of Right
                            Also President and CEO of The Foundation Of Wrong

Originally Posted by StankNasty

the dream isn't in your parents' basement

Comment

• It's funny, custom builders call chambering an option and charge you extra for it, while Gibson is raked across the coals for doing it (for free)... Guitar players

FWIW, Suhr doesn't charge extra for chambering. If you want it, they'll do it and give you an f-hole or cats eye at no additional charge, too.
                              Multiple award winning blues/rock/country at http://www.zeyerband.com or http://www.reverbnation.com/zeyer.Check my solo (instrumental rock) projects at: http://www.reverbnation.com/vincedickinson"Music is like the English language - it's just full of rules that need to be broken or you aren't hip.""It doesn't take talent to upgrade your playing. It takes patience" - Kenny Werner

Comment

• just at first glance before i bought anything. the Tom anderson drop top had the truss rod adjustment at the top, tuner side of the guitar. that imo is a plus. popping the neck off to just adjust the relief of the neck is not a smart design imo. why suhr and the others don't, i don't get it.

I went to Washingtom music center, chuck Levins to get the perfect high end strat guitar i was seeking , even tho i wasn't sure which i'd leave with. neighter guitar was setup to my liking and both guitars had been sitting in their cases sinse around 2008. Paul said they don't sell many 3000 dollar guitars and i really don't buy many either. I had some money and i wanted the best strat money could buy.

The Tom Anderson just had more features and they only make like 70 guitars a year the last i heard. the TA's also had noiseless single coil pickups that i could not tell the differents between. It also had plenty of quack in the notched positions. stainless steel frets and I had brought my gauges and a fret rocker to check out the frets to make sure they were level. they were. Another selling point on the TA was the wang bar which was designed to be a easy hard tail. The TA also had a mini switch that some how added a little more mid boost and a pull pot on the treble control that let you run the pickups in any order. Bridge and neck together etc. I looked all over this guitar and it was as perfect as a guitar can be.

The pickups which are a passive design have this clarity thing going on. Every string rang out clearly and well defined even in a cranked amp. After my setup, it played as good as any short scale guitar i've ever played and to be honest, i've never played a Fender strat that played or sounded as good. Tho the fender american specials i tryed were very good.

You all know which one i bought right?

Killer guitar

Sorry i don't have much to say about the Suhr other than it is a fine guitar in its own right. but the Tom anderson drop top classic just had more selling points

Comment

Working...
                                X