Humbuckers and P90 in Guitar....Which Way?

deejaid

• Members

It seems 90% of the time I see a guitar with a humbucker and a p90, the humbucker is at the bridge and the p90 at the neck position.

I have my Epi Spirit (LP Jr shape) and love the neck pickup solo. It does an awesome "Woman" tone. I play with the neck pickup almost all the time.
I thought about putting a Harmonic Design Z-90 in the bridge position since LP JR's have a P90 in that position usually.

It seems this setup would give me a cool jr. sound on the bridge position and a Clapton "Woman" tone in the neck position.

It sounds logical to me but if guitars come stock with a humbucker and P90, it's usually the other way around.

What do you guys thinkconfused.gif

• Members

I agree w/the above thoughts...it's your guitar, so do what makes you happy. If it makes you feel better about it, Fender(and others) have been putting humbuckers in the neck and single coils in the bridge of telecasters for decades...

• Members

I agree w/the above thoughts...it's your guitar, so do what makes you happy. If it makes you feel better about it, Fender(and others) have been putting humbuckers in the neck and single coils in the bridge of telecasters for decades...

• Members

I prefer the single in the neck for lead.
A humbucker in the bridge is almost the the only thing I can stand except maybe a tele.

I think it really comes down to your playing style tough, I guess I have been stuck on the superstrat mentality from by early playing HSS, HH, HS.

The p90 nastyness in the bridge always steers me to agressive rock/punk rythyms. Which is fun for a short while.

• Members

I prefer the single in the neck for lead.
A humbucker in the bridge is almost the the only thing I can stand except maybe a tele.

I think it really comes down to your playing style tough, I guess I have been stuck on the superstrat mentality from by early playing HSS, HH, HS.

The p90 nastyness in the bridge always steers me to agressive rock/punk rythyms. Which is fun for a short while.

• Members

This guitar of mine yields a really good "woman tone" from the P-90 in the neck. (that was actually my initial assessment of it when it arrived) The bridge pickup is a BB-3 so it's there for when you want to really dig in with your tone, i.e. quite edgy.
LPStudiowBFG004.jpg

But I'd say you could go either way. You look at the '72 Fender Telecaster Custom, which is neck HB and bridge SC, so you know that combo has its place and popularity. I own a repro of that guitar and one of the things that I really like about it is its design of two volume controls. You get the extremes of extra phat from the neck and extra edgy/bitey from bridge, but then you can also blend the two with quite a bit of variation when you have the two volume knobs.

So I'd say "either way". From a quick googling for pics for "WTF an Epi Spirit is", it does appear to me that guitar has two volume controls, so in that case, "why not?"

If you only had one volume control, then I'd lean towards the P-90 in the neck.

• Members

This guitar of mine yields a really good "woman tone" from the P-90 in the neck. (that was actually my initial assessment of it when it arrived) The bridge pickup is a BB-3 so it's there for when you want to really dig in with your tone, i.e. quite edgy.
LPStudiowBFG004.jpg

But I'd say you could go either way. You look at the '72 Fender Telecaster Custom, which is neck HB and bridge SC, so you know that combo has its place and popularity. I own a repro of that guitar and one of the things that I really like about it is its design of two volume controls. You get the extremes of extra phat from the neck and extra edgy/bitey from bridge, but then you can also blend the two with quite a bit of variation when you have the two volume knobs.

So I'd say "either way". From a quick googling for pics for "WTF an Epi Spirit is", it does appear to me that guitar has two volume controls, so in that case, "why not?"

If you only had one volume control, then I'd lean towards the P-90 in the neck.

Archived