Thin sound.

frosty55

• Members

Played through a new rig last night which was my Les Paul into a 50 watt head into a 2x12. The guitar has Mighty Mite MB pick up on the bridge, the amp is a Laney Pro Tube 50 (valve), the cab is one I built similar to a Marshall 1936. Its got Celestion V30 s in it.
At stage volume, when playing solos, the sound was quite "shrill" and rather thin sounding.
Whats the culprit? Is it the pick ups? The cab?
Any help appreciated thanks.

• Members

I have no experience with those pickups, but shrill tones can occur with:

- Tubes that need replacing
- Speakers that need to be broken in
- Pickups that are wired incorrectly

Could be any of these, or something else entirely. Anything more you can tell us?

• Members

I have no experience with those pickups, but shrill tones can occur with:

- Tubes that need replacing
- Speakers that need to be broken in
- Pickups that are wired incorrectly

Could be any of these, or something else entirely. Anything more you can tell us?

• Members

Which element of the rig have you never used before? If the tubes aren't old, and the cab has seen use, then chances are the pickup just sounds like that or the tech didn't wire it correctly. One other possibility is that if you were standing in a different spot relative to your speakers than usual, you could possibly have had the cones pointing at your ears when they're usually pointing in a different direction. If this is the case, then your relative position caused the shrillness (that will happen if you are right in front of the cones).

• Members

Which element of the rig have you never used before? If the tubes aren't old, and the cab has seen use, then chances are the pickup just sounds like that or the tech didn't wire it correctly. One other possibility is that if you were standing in a different spot relative to your speakers than usual, you could possibly have had the cones pointing at your ears when they're usually pointing in a different direction. If this is the case, then your relative position caused the shrillness (that will happen if you are right in front of the cones).

• Members

Try the amp and setup with a different guitar. Are you going straight into the amp? If not then try staight in and see if it's something in your chain.. Then just elimanate one piece at a time untill you find the problem.
Could be something as simple as your pickup height.

• Members

Try the amp and setup with a different guitar. Are you going straight into the amp? If not then try staight in and see if it's something in your chain.. Then just elimanate one piece at a time untill you find the problem.
Could be something as simple as your pickup height.

• Members

Troubleshooting 101:

Does the neck pickup have the same problem? Alone or in combo with the MM?

Does it sound thin into another amp?

Do other guitars sound thin into the laney?

Does the laney sound thin into another cabinet?

Did you try other cables?

You could probably eliminate 80% of the possibilities in 10 mins by simple process of elimination

• Members

Troubleshooting 101:

Does the neck pickup have the same problem? Alone or in combo with the MM?

Does it sound thin into another amp?

Do other guitars sound thin into the laney?

Does the laney sound thin into another cabinet?

Did you try other cables?

You could probably eliminate 80% of the possibilities in 10 mins by simple process of elimination

• Members

did you match the ohms on cab with the head? I kinda agree with the above on the V-30s..... I have a couple cabs with then and my Orange heads sound best through the V-30 cabs... My Marshall heads seem to like the Cabs loaded with Blue and heritage and green backs best

Also is your home made Cab a Closed back or open?

• Members

did you match the ohms on cab with the head? I kinda agree with the above on the V-30s..... I have a couple cabs with then and my Orange heads sound best through the V-30 cabs... My Marshall heads seem to like the Cabs loaded with Blue and heritage and green backs best

Also is your home made Cab a Closed back or open?

• Members

Maybe turn your gain down a little.

Roll back your tone knob when getting ready to play leads.

Also.. PICK SOFTER when playing leads! You'll be surprised at how much that warms up the tone. If you pick too hard it can sound shrill and plinky.

Boost your leads with a Tubescreamer and/or a mid boosted EQ pedal.

• Members

Maybe turn your gain down a little.

Roll back your tone knob when getting ready to play leads.

Also.. PICK SOFTER when playing leads! You'll be surprised at how much that warms up the tone. If you pick too hard it can sound shrill and plinky.

Boost your leads with a Tubescreamer and/or a mid boosted EQ pedal.

• Members

I have an Ibanez Tubescreamer on my pedalboard. When I turn the preamp volume down on the amp with the Tubescreamer kicked in, its the same shrill sound when soloing. I dont really want to roll back the tone knob on the guitar every time I play a solo, its remembering!!
Yes the impedance is matched with both the amp and cab.

• Members

I have an Ibanez Tubescreamer on my pedalboard. When I turn the preamp volume down on the amp with the Tubescreamer kicked in, its the same shrill sound when soloing. I dont really want to roll back the tone knob on the guitar every time I play a solo, its remembering!!
Yes the impedance is matched with both the amp and cab.

Archived