Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin sound.

Played through a new rig last night which was my Les Paul into a 50 watt head into a 2x12. The guitar has Mighty Mite MB pick up on the bridge, the amp is a Laney Pro Tube 50 (valve), the cab is one I built similar to a Marshall 1936. Its got Celestion V30 s in it.

At stage volume, when playing solos, the sound was quite "shrill" and rather thin sounding.

Whats the culprit? Is it the pick ups? The cab?

Any help appreciated thanks.

I have no experience with those pickups, but shrill tones can occur with:

- Tubes that need replacing

- Speakers that need to be broken in

- Pickups that are wired incorrectly

Could be any of these, or something else entirely. Anything more you can tell us?
    Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

I have no experience with those pickups, but shrill tones can occur with:

- Tubes that need replacing

- Speakers that need to be broken in

- Pickups that are wired incorrectly

Could be any of these, or something else entirely. Anything more you can tell us?
      Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

The amp got new tubes a year ago. Its only done five gigs. The cab has been gigged about a dozen times. The pick ups have been put in by my tech

Comment

The amp got new tubes a year ago. Its only done five gigs. The cab has been gigged about a dozen times. The pick ups have been put in by my tech

Comment

Which element of the rig have you never used before? If the tubes aren't old, and the cab has seen use, then chances are the pickup just sounds like that or the tech didn't wire it correctly. One other possibility is that if you were standing in a different spot relative to your speakers than usual, you could possibly have had the cones pointing at your ears when they're usually pointing in a different direction. If this is the case, then your relative position caused the shrillness (that will happen if you are right in front of the cones).

Comment

Which element of the rig have you never used before? If the tubes aren't old, and the cab has seen use, then chances are the pickup just sounds like that or the tech didn't wire it correctly. One other possibility is that if you were standing in a different spot relative to your speakers than usual, you could possibly have had the cones pointing at your ears when they're usually pointing in a different direction. If this is the case, then your relative position caused the shrillness (that will happen if you are right in front of the cones).

Comment

I dont think the shrill sound was relative to where I stood. I placed a mic over the cab to record the bands set onto casstte tape. Even playing the tape back next day, the sound is just as annoying.

Comment

I dont think the shrill sound was relative to where I stood. I placed a mic over the cab to record the bands set onto casstte tape. Even playing the tape back next day, the sound is just as annoying.

Comment

Try the amp and setup with a different guitar. Are you going straight into the amp? If not then try staight in and see if it's something in your chain.. Then just elimanate one piece at a time untill you find the problem.

Could be something as simple as your pickup height.

Comment

Try the amp and setup with a different guitar. Are you going straight into the amp? If not then try staight in and see if it's something in your chain.. Then just elimanate one piece at a time untill you find the problem.

Could be something as simple as your pickup height.

Comment

mids up, treble down
                        ORANGE AMPS
                        Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

mids up, treble down
                          ORANGE AMPS
                          Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

Troubleshooting 101:

Does the neck pickup have the same problem? Alone or in combo with the MM?

Does it sound thin into another amp?

Do other guitars sound thin into the laney?

Does the laney sound thin into another cabinet?

Did you try other cables?

You could probably eliminate 80% of the possibilities in 10 mins by simple process of elimination
                            My Gear
                            Schecter Corsair
                            TelePartsCaster x3
                            Dano Convertible

Taylor 114
                            Gretsch Americana

Vox Pathfinder 15R
                            Vox VT15
                            Fender SCXD
                            Yamaha THR5

For Sale:
                            Duncan Pickups

BG Pups Tele Set

Looking For:
                            Vox AC4C1 amp
                            Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

Comment

Troubleshooting 101:

Does the neck pickup have the same problem? Alone or in combo with the MM?

Does it sound thin into another amp?

Do other guitars sound thin into the laney?

Does the laney sound thin into another cabinet?

Did you try other cables?

You could probably eliminate 80% of the possibilities in 10 mins by simple process of elimination
                              My Gear
                              Schecter Corsair
                              TelePartsCaster x3
                              Dano Convertible

Taylor 114
                              Gretsch Americana

Vox Pathfinder 15R
                              Vox VT15
                              Fender SCXD
                              Yamaha THR5

For Sale:
                              Duncan Pickups