I just "discovered"......Mike Bloomfield.......WOW !!!!!

bernardo gui

• Members

Bloomfield is awesome! I love the Paul Butterfield Blues Band's first album and "East-West". Also "Super Sessions" with Al Kooper and his Electric Flag stuff. I dig his solo stuff too like "Between A Hard Place And The Ground".

I think the problem is he died in 1981 after a long decline when blues-rock was at a low point. He didn't get a chance to have a resurgence like Clapton did.

Killer player though.

• Members

Bloomfield is awesome! I love the Paul Butterfield Blues Band's first album and "East-West". Also "Super Sessions" with Al Kooper and his Electric Flag stuff. I dig his solo stuff too like "Between A Hard Place And The Ground".

I think the problem is he died in 1981 after a long decline when blues-rock was at a low point. He didn't get a chance to have a resurgence like Clapton did.

Killer player though.

• Members

He does not get much respect anymore because like the legendary Tommy Bolin...HE OD'ed and is long dead. It is kind of hard to garner respect when you're deceased and not making anymore music and therefore only fading into the background as time goes on.

• Members

He does not get much respect anymore because like the legendary Tommy Bolin...HE OD'ed and is long dead. It is kind of hard to garner respect when you're deceased and not making anymore music and therefore only fading into the background as time goes on.

• Members

He almost single handedly saved the Les Paul guitar. Inspired a whole generation of players to use that guitar and has a lot of players who site him as a major influence on thier playing.

I would have to respectfully disagree with the Johnny Winter statement when Bloomfield was in his non drug addled prime. Bloomfield was going places with his playing no one else even thinking about. His solo on the Butterfield Blues Band song 'East-West' was years ahead of what anyone else was doing at the time.

• Members

He almost single handedly saved the Les Paul guitar. Inspired a whole generation of players to use that guitar and has a lot of players who site him as a major influence on thier playing.

I would have to respectfully disagree with the Johnny Winter statement when Bloomfield was in his non drug addled prime. Bloomfield was going places with his playing no one else even thinking about. His solo on the Butterfield Blues Band song 'East-West' was years ahead of what anyone else was doing at the time.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Virgman View Post
Bloomfield was good but not that good.

He was one of the first young white blues players.

Johnny Winter was way better. In my opinion. Which is all that counts.

Gotta say, that's sort of the way I feel about him too. I once had someone give me a mixed tape that had MB on it. I know the song on there by MB was great. Wish I could remember which it was (that tape was jacked from me). But I've bought East West and another MB CD (forget which one - but I like the other one better) to get into his music, but while it's good, it generally doesn't grab me. Now Johnny Winter, yeah, awesome. IMHO

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Virgman View Post
Bloomfield was good but not that good.

He was one of the first young white blues players.

Johnny Winter was way better. In my opinion. Which is all that counts.

Gotta say, that's sort of the way I feel about him too. I once had someone give me a mixed tape that had MB on it. I know the song on there by MB was great. Wish I could remember which it was (that tape was jacked from me). But I've bought East West and another MB CD (forget which one - but I like the other one better) to get into his music, but while it's good, it generally doesn't grab me. Now Johnny Winter, yeah, awesome. IMHO

Archived