Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

I just "discovered"......Mike Bloomfield.......WOW !!!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He almost single handedly saved the Les Paul guitar. Inspired a whole generation of players to use that guitar and has a lot of players who site him as a major influence on thier playing.

I would have to respectfully disagree with the Johnny Winter statement when Bloomfield was in his non drug addled prime. Bloomfield was going places with his playing no one else even thinking about. His solo on the Butterfield Blues Band song 'East-West' was years ahead of what anyone else was doing at the time.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Dave</div>

Comment

He almost single handedly saved the Les Paul guitar. Inspired a whole generation of players to use that guitar and has a lot of players who site him as a major influence on thier playing.

I would have to respectfully disagree with the Johnny Winter statement when Bloomfield was in his non drug addled prime. Bloomfield was going places with his playing no one else even thinking about. His solo on the Butterfield Blues Band song 'East-West' was years ahead of what anyone else was doing at the time.
      <div class="signaturecontainer">Dave</div>

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Virgman
        View Post

Bloomfield was good but not that good.

He was one of the first young white blues players.

Johnny Winter was way better. In my opinion. Which is all that counts.

Gotta say, that's sort of the way I feel about him too. I once had someone give me a mixed tape that had MB on it. I know the song on there by MB was great. Wish I could remember which it was (that tape was jacked from me). But I've bought East West and another MB CD (forget which one - but I like the other one better) to get into his music, but while it's good, it generally doesn't grab me. Now Johnny Winter, yeah, awesome. IMHO
        A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
        HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
        Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
        I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Virgman
          View Post

Bloomfield was good but not that good.

He was one of the first young white blues players.

Johnny Winter was way better. In my opinion. Which is all that counts.

Gotta say, that's sort of the way I feel about him too. I once had someone give me a mixed tape that had MB on it. I know the song on there by MB was great. Wish I could remember which it was (that tape was jacked from me). But I've bought East West and another MB CD (forget which one - but I like the other one better) to get into his music, but while it's good, it generally doesn't grab me. Now Johnny Winter, yeah, awesome. IMHO
          A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
          HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
          Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
          I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

In 76 or 77, I ordered, direct from the back pages of Guitar Player magazine

an album on vinyl called "If You Love These Blues, Play Em As You Please".

Probably his best work.
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)</div>

Comment

In 76 or 77, I ordered, direct from the back pages of Guitar Player magazine

an album on vinyl called "If You Love These Blues, Play Em As You Please".

Probably his best work.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)</div>

Comment

Butterfield Blues Band is the best.

That's all I have to add.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">I didn't come here to save whales, I came here to get laid and make rock 'n' roll</div>

Comment

Butterfield Blues Band is the best.

That's all I have to add.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">I didn't come here to save whales, I came here to get laid and make rock 'n' roll</div>

Comment

I really dug Bloomfield's guitar playing on Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited album; his guitar solo on Tombstone Blues just smokes.

Comment

I really dug Bloomfield's guitar playing on Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited album; his guitar solo on Tombstone Blues just smokes.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RogerF
                        View Post

Absolutely. Bloomfield is ferocious, a force of nature. I think his playing doesn't necessarily open up for technical analysis, he's a pure feel dude, and the feeling is: blues and bennies, ptry much. Crank it up, drink eight cupsa cawfee, and you'll hear why Dylan hunted him down to put a stamp of no-doubt authority on his early electric stuff.

Bloomfield, Robby Robertson, and John Hammond Jr. played the nastiest tele **************** imaginable back in the mid sixties. It's all worth digging into. They were all just trying to be Elmore James or Hubert Sumlin... Clapton and Beck raised the stakes a bit, sure, but there's a rawpowa with these guys that is ...I dunno, I'm gonna say indispensable and awe inspiring.

Oh yeah, wanted to add: first Butterfield Blues Album is just mindblowing. Bloomfield totally kills it on "Our Love is Drifting." Best tune on an album with NO duff cuts.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by RogerF
                          View Post

Absolutely. Bloomfield is ferocious, a force of nature. I think his playing doesn't necessarily open up for technical analysis, he's a pure feel dude, and the feeling is: blues and bennies, ptry much. Crank it up, drink eight cupsa cawfee, and you'll hear why Dylan hunted him down to put a stamp of no-doubt authority on his early electric stuff.

Bloomfield, Robby Robertson, and John Hammond Jr. played the nastiest tele **************** imaginable back in the mid sixties. It's all worth digging into. They were all just trying to be Elmore James or Hubert Sumlin... Clapton and Beck raised the stakes a bit, sure, but there's a rawpowa with these guys that is ...I dunno, I'm gonna say indispensable and awe inspiring.

Oh yeah, wanted to add: first Butterfield Blues Album is just mindblowing. Bloomfield totally kills it on "Our Love is Drifting." Best tune on an album with NO duff cuts.

Comment

as for the MB vs JW who's better thing? I just like them both.
                            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="mailto:tlbonehead@yahoo.com">tlbonehead@yaho o.com</a><br />
                            <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy</a><br />
                            -For Sale: <br />
                            -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US<br />
                            -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.<br />
                            - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping<br />
                            - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds &amp; looks good. $250 + shipping. <b>SOLD</b><br />
                            - Crate Palomino V8 - 10&quot; Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)</div>

Comment

I have lots of respect for Bloomfield, but I squirm when he plays slide out of tune, most of the time. I think Johnny was a better all around player, but Bloomfield at his best was amazing.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                                View Post

as for the MB vs JW who's better thing? I just like them both.

+1
                                Great transactions with: pan760, Unclemeat, adlo76, deadanddreaming, Woody_in_MN, Rose Pickups, Toshiro, BryanMichael, cbh5150, Rand-O-Monium, ugameus, jcm800stratman

"It's the internet, dude. We all make six figures, f*ck supermodels and drive 9 second Supras when we're not in here bitching about our MIM Strats." [flummox]

"Before you read this post, it should be noted that I f*cking love bunny rabbits." [CompleteGuitard]

Comment

Working...
                                X