Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did MF and GC look these over when blowing out Gibsons?...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did MF and GC look these over when blowing out Gibsons?...

Gibson Melody Maker Special Electric Guitar

SamAsh has em for 429.99. The look is a bit odd to me, but I am thinking about getting GC and MF to price match it. They are currently about $700 there! Anyone play these yet?
    Guitars: Harmony H45, Epiphone Dot Deluxe, Fender Mustang, Gibson MM Special, Gibson B25, Teisco Mayqueen
    Amps: Vox AC4, Vox AC15, Harmony H205, Silvertone 1430, Gibson G10

I have one in satin yellow-very hard to beat at that price. The BM board adds a little sparkle or snap to the sound, and the thin body contributes to the overall brightness compared to a LP junior, PRS SE Soapbar, etc, but those aren't necessarily bad things...just things to consider.

I doubt you'll be disappointed if you decide to pull the trigger...

Comment

I have one in satin yellow-very hard to beat at that price. The BM board adds a little sparkle or snap to the sound, and the thin body contributes to the overall brightness compared to a LP junior, PRS SE Soapbar, etc, but those aren't necessarily bad things...just things to consider.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl
        View Post

I've found the PRS SE to be pretty dull and subdued compared to the P90s I am used to.
        tlbonehead@yahoo.com
        www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
        -For Sale:
        -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
        -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
        - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
        - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
        - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

View Post

I've found the PRS SE to be pretty dull and subdued compared to the P90s I am used to.
          tlbonehead@yahoo.com
          www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
          -For Sale:
          -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
          -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
          - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
          - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
          - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

View Post

Thanks! I have been looking for an opinion on these. Nice to find someone who got one! I'm just looking for something to fill the p90 gap I have currently. I ordered a NR Firebird, but it will probably come with baked maple unlike rosewood like I was promised. And for what I paid for it, if I want BM, I would rather go cheap. Though, these Melody Maker pickguards with p90s still look odd to me. I'm torn between the yellow or getting the black along with some cream covers.
            Guitars: Harmony H45, Epiphone Dot Deluxe, Fender Mustang, Gibson MM Special, Gibson B25, Teisco Mayqueen

Comment

View Post

Thanks! I have been looking for an opinion on these. Nice to find someone who got one! I'm just looking for something to fill the p90 gap I have currently. I ordered a NR Firebird, but it will probably come with baked maple unlike rosewood like I was promised. And for what I paid for it, if I want BM, I would rather go cheap. Though, these Melody Maker pickguards with p90s still look odd to me. I'm torn between the yellow or getting the black along with some cream covers.

Comment

View Post

Do pay attention to those comments though. I own one too, and I like it, but it hasn't become near my number one so far, but then again, I have too many guitars around. But I do like mine and I paid $610 for it before the Sam Ash blow out. I'm happy to have it in the collection, but it is a bit toppy.
                A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

View Post

Do pay attention to those comments though. I own one too, and I like it, but it hasn't become near my number one so far, but then again, I have too many guitars around. But I do like mine and I paid $610 for it before the Sam Ash blow out. I'm happy to have it in the collection, but it is a bit toppy.
                  A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
                  HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
                  Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!
                  I have opinions of my own,strong opinions but I don't always agree with them.

Comment

I was waiting for GASman to chime in

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                    View Post

I'd say muddy, inarticulate and uninspiring. But sounds like we agree

Comment

I was waiting for GASman to chime in

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                      View Post

I'd say muddy, inarticulate and uninspiring. But sounds like we agree

Comment

With the M123 123% PM guarantee, the price on these comes to $368. That's a pretty good deal, but if you can afford the extra $130, I'd just spring for the LP Junior Special with P90s. It's a LOT of guitar for $499!
                        Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

Comment

With the M123 123% PM guarantee, the price on these comes to $368. That's a pretty good deal, but if you can afford the extra $130, I'd just spring for the LP Junior Special with P90s. It's a LOT of guitar for $499!
                          Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son
                            View Post

Yeah... But they are all out of the yellow! And for me, I am just looking for something cheap with P90s to hold me over. The cheaper the better.

I'm contemplating trying to go to my GC and ask them to match M123... I did it with my firebird, but they had trouble getting it down a couple hundred bucks... I am sure they will have a heart attack if I ask them to cut the price almost in half.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son
                              View Post

Yeah... But they are all out of the yellow! And for me, I am just looking for something cheap with P90s to hold me over. The cheaper the better.

I'm contemplating trying to go to my GC and ask them to match M123... I did it with my firebird, but they had trouble getting it down a couple hundred bucks... I am sure they will have a heart attack if I ask them to cut the price almost in half.

Comment

Working...
                              X