OT:Ebay blows

esphil

• Members

Any other people who sell guitars on ebay completely fed up with them? I've sold 3 guitars in the last month and decided to look at my fees I owe. To my shock, ebay now charges final value fees on shipping?!?! WTF So they take out over 10% final value fee, charge me a shipping fee and tell me to get on all 4 with the paypal fees too. I sold a guitar that was $250 more expensive then the one last night with a BIN, the one sold last night was a auction yet I got charged $7 more?? I'm done with this ebay/paypal bull{censored} selling, I should have just stuck to the forums to do it. Are there any viable auction alternatives out there?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never been on the selling end of an eBay transaction, but I purchased three guitars from eBay with PayPal this year and the transactions were all smooth and painless. Sellers tend to charge flat rates for shipping (and handling) so it's not that big a deal that eBay considers it part of the selling price. I think having the fees probably keeps sketchy sellers away, so I have a greater level of comfort making an eBay purchase than I would with other outlets ...

• Members

I've never been on the selling end of an eBay transaction, but I purchased three guitars from eBay with PayPal this year and the transactions were all smooth and painless. Sellers tend to charge flat rates for shipping (and handling) so it's not that big a deal that eBay considers it part of the selling price. I think having the fees probably keeps sketchy sellers away, so I have a greater level of comfort making an eBay purchase than I would with other outlets ...

• Members

eBay has been charging a FVF on shipping for years because of the scumbags who sell a Les Paul for $10 plus $850 shipping.

And if you want to think back > 15+ years, you'd put an ad in your local newspaper classifieds for $20 and reach a tiny audience compared to eBay's reach. CL is good if you can deal with the lunatics.

Forums have a very limited audience and a lot of tire kickers too, but if you have something desirable and priced right, it works for free

Yes the eBay fees are expensive but makes selling a hell of a lot easier. I've sold 3 guitars in the last month on eBay that I could not sell on multiple forums and accumulated $120 in fees. I also sold 1 other guitar here during the same time period.

With all due respect, none of eBay's fees are hidden so you should be able to ballpark your overhead before you list and adjust your price accordingly

• Members

eBay has been charging a FVF on shipping for years because of the scumbags who sell a Les Paul for $10 plus $850 shipping.

And if you want to think back > 15+ years, you'd put an ad in your local newspaper classifieds for $20 and reach a tiny audience compared to eBay's reach. CL is good if you can deal with the lunatics.

Forums have a very limited audience and a lot of tire kickers too, but if you have something desirable and priced right, it works for free

Yes the eBay fees are expensive but makes selling a hell of a lot easier. I've sold 3 guitars in the last month on eBay that I could not sell on multiple forums and accumulated $120 in fees. I also sold 1 other guitar here during the same time period.

With all due respect, none of eBay's fees are hidden so you should be able to ballpark your overhead before you list and adjust your price accordingly

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Meowy View Post

So in reality people will add on the fee's that ebay charges on shipping now to the shipping cost.

• Members

So in reality people will add on the fee's that ebay charges on shipping now to the shipping cost.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by esphil

View Post

Any other people who sell guitars on ebay completely fed up with them? I've sold 3 guitars in the last month and decided to look at my fees I owe. To my shock, ebay now charges final value fees on shipping?!?! WTF So they take out over 10% final value fee, charge me a shipping fee and tell me to get on all 4 with the paypal fees too. I sold a guitar that was $250 more expensive then the one last night with a BIN, the one sold last night was a auction yet I got charged $7 more?? I'm done with this ebay/paypal bull{censored} selling, I should have just stuck to the forums to do it. Are there any viable auction alternatives out there?

you probably got more than enough extra selling on Ebay to cover the fees. Ofcourse, you could take them to your local store and have them consign it for 20-25% of the selling price, if it sells after being grubbed over for a few months. Or just put it here and get no responses, or lowballs, or trade offers for stuff you don't want.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by esphil

View Post

you probably got more than enough extra selling on Ebay to cover the fees. Ofcourse, you could take them to your local store and have them consign it for 20-25% of the selling price, if it sells after being grubbed over for a few months. Or just put it here and get no responses, or lowballs, or trade offers for stuff you don't want.

• Members

Exactly! Doesn't take an atomic physicist to figure things out.

• Members

Exactly! Doesn't take an atomic physicist to figure things out.

• Members

EBay, for all its' faults, is still the best way to get exposure on something you're trying to sell. Even if you keep in mind the fees, it is still easier than dealing with freaks on CL, or having to consign (for a bigger fee, usually), or trading in and getting less than 50% of the actual market value.

EDIT: or pretty much what tl said two posts above...

• Members

EBay, for all its' faults, is still the best way to get exposure on something you're trying to sell. Even if you keep in mind the fees, it is still easier than dealing with freaks on CL, or having to consign (for a bigger fee, usually), or trading in and getting less than 50% of the actual market value.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by esphil View Post
Not everyone does, but you could do that if you want otherwise potential buyers to be turned off by high shipping charges.

I just shipped a guitar today from NY to OH. I listed it with $20 shipping fees. It cost me $21.65 with confirm and insurance. About the same for a LP a few weeks ago. If I lose $10 on shipping x-country, so be it. I try to keep shipping fair for everyone and it works well for me.

• Members
Not everyone does, but you could do that if you want otherwise potential buyers to be turned off by high shipping charges.

I just shipped a guitar today from NY to OH. I listed it with $20 shipping fees. It cost me $21.65 with confirm and insurance. About the same for a LP a few weeks ago. If I lose $10 on shipping x-country, so be it. I try to keep shipping fair for everyone and it works well for me.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cbh5150 View Post

I agree, ebay knows it and it just sucks they have to take such advantage of it. And also the fact there is no real competitor, its a monopoly.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cbh5150 View Post

I agree, ebay knows it and it just sucks they have to take such advantage of it. And also the fact there is no real competitor, its a monopoly.

• Members
No, actually it's called business.

You obviously don't know what a monopoly is. You want to start an auction web site?... go right ahead.

• Members
No, actually it's called business.

You obviously don't know what a monopoly is. You want to start an auction web site?... go right ahead.

• Members

I used to sell but stopped way back when they took away a seller's ability to leave bad feedback. I had a blackmail situation that really turned me off from selling ever again.

The thing that gets me...as a buyer, I used to be able to go on Ebay and find virtually ANYTHING that I was GASing for, now it's very rare unless I'm looking for something common that I could just buy from a major retailer for the same exact price...

• Members

I used to sell but stopped way back when they took away a seller's ability to leave bad feedback. I had a blackmail situation that really turned me off from selling ever again.

The thing that gets me...as a buyer, I used to be able to go on Ebay and find virtually ANYTHING that I was GASing for, now it's very rare unless I'm looking for something common that I could just buy from a major retailer for the same exact price...

Archived