Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT:Ebay blows

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse







X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31






    Quote Originally Posted by esphil
    View Post

    Of course it is a business, have you ever heard of a non-profit that is a monopoly?

    "In economics, a monopoly is a single seller. In law, a monopoly is a business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power, to charge high prices."

    What other viable website alternative is there? Ubid? Ebay owns paypal, and will not even allow other checkout methods such as amazon or google payments. YES they are a monopoly.




    Just because no one else has yet been able to succeed as an auction competitor, does not mean eBay is a monopoly. There are plenty of web sites that charge for classified listings. (i.e. similar to eBay's Buy it Now). One is called Amazon.com



    eBay is doing nothing to lock competition out of the online auction market. Buy a domain name, go do some heads down software development for a few months and start advertising. Go ahead and lowball the **************** out of eBay's fee structure. You could be the one to take some market share.



    eBay's pricing model is not opportunistic. Premium? perhaps, but so is any smart business who is among the best at what they do.



    And their exclusive use of Paypal whether they own it or not is not monopolistic either. I believe if the buyer and seller agree to use cash, a MO, personal check or credit card eBay does not prevent these methods of payment. Sorry, but again smart businesses have vertical service channels
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><br />
    <b><u>My Gear</u></b><br />
    Schecter Corsair<br />
    TelePartsCaster x3 <br />
    Dano Convertible<br />
    <br />
    Taylor 114<br />
    Gretsch Americana<br />
    <br />
    Vox Pathfinder 15R <br />
    Vox VT15<br />
    Fender SCXD<br />
    Yamaha THR5<br />
    <br />
    <b><u>For Sale:</u></b><br />
    <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2974008-Seagull-acoustic-Gibson-electric-and-3-Duncan-pickups" target="_blank">Duncan Pickups</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2959286-BG-Pups-Tele-Rockwind-set" target="_blank">BG Pups Tele Set</a><br />
    <br />
    <b><u>Looking For:</u></b><br />
    Vox AC4C1 amp<br />
    Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)<br />
    </font></div>

    Comment


    • #32
      Think ebay is bad? Amazon takes 15%, and pretty much dictates what you have to charge for shipping, which is absurdly low. They expect me to ship a box to CA for $5.99? My cost is at least double that. They expect you to charge the rates that they charge, but us small fish don't get the special rates of a multi billion dollar company.



      Bottom line- if you want to sell something and reach a wide audience - it's going to cost you. Build it into your cost and hope it's competitive.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2"><b>Amps:</b> Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack, Crate Palomino V16, Silverface Vibro Champ, Silverface PR, Univox U45-B, Supro 6606<br />
      <br />
      <b>Guitars:</b> 1970 Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top, 1998 Ace Frehley Les Paul, Gibson Q300,MIM Stratocaster, '99 PRS McCarty w/ Trem, Ibanez Roadstar II, Fernandes 7 string Sustainer, Fender Stratocaster with EMG Gilmours, and the list goes on<br />
      <br />
      <b>Effects:</b> Digitech 11 Rack, Line 6 M13, HD500, Radial Tone Bone Plexitube, Boss Dimension C, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Danelectro CTO-1</font></div>

      Comment


      • #33
        Think ebay is bad? Amazon takes 15%, and pretty much dictates what you have to charge for shipping, which is absurdly low. They expect me to ship a box to CA for $5.99? My cost is at least double that. They expect you to charge the rates that they charge, but us small fish don't get the special rates of a multi billion dollar company.



        Bottom line- if you want to sell something and reach a wide audience - it's going to cost you. Build it into your cost and hope it's competitive.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="2"><b>Amps:</b> Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack, Crate Palomino V16, Silverface Vibro Champ, Silverface PR, Univox U45-B, Supro 6606<br />
        <br />
        <b>Guitars:</b> 1970 Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top, 1998 Ace Frehley Les Paul, Gibson Q300,MIM Stratocaster, '99 PRS McCarty w/ Trem, Ibanez Roadstar II, Fernandes 7 string Sustainer, Fender Stratocaster with EMG Gilmours, and the list goes on<br />
        <br />
        <b>Effects:</b> Digitech 11 Rack, Line 6 M13, HD500, Radial Tone Bone Plexitube, Boss Dimension C, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Danelectro CTO-1</font></div>

        Comment


        • #34






          Quote Originally Posted by esphil
          View Post

          Of course it is a business, have you ever heard of a non-profit that is a monopoly?

          "In economics, a monopoly is a single seller. In law, a monopoly is a business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power, to charge high prices."

          What other viable website alternative is there? Ubid? Ebay owns paypal, and will not even allow other checkout methods such as amazon or google payments. YES they are a monopoly.




          No, they really aren't a monopoly. Have they tried to buy out Amazon? Have they tried to shut down CL or the for-sale forums here?
          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="mailto:tlbonehead@yahoo.com">tlbonehead@yaho o.com</a><br />
          <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy</a><br />
          -For Sale: <br />
          -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US<br />
          -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.<br />
          - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping<br />
          - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds &amp; looks good. $250 + shipping. <b>SOLD</b><br />
          - Crate Palomino V8 - 10&quot; Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)</div>

          Comment


          • #35






            Quote Originally Posted by esphil
            View Post

            Of course it is a business, have you ever heard of a non-profit that is a monopoly?

            "In economics, a monopoly is a single seller. In law, a monopoly is a business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power, to charge high prices."

            What other viable website alternative is there? Ubid? Ebay owns paypal, and will not even allow other checkout methods such as amazon or google payments. YES they are a monopoly.




            No, they really aren't a monopoly. Have they tried to buy out Amazon? Have they tried to shut down CL or the for-sale forums here?
            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="mailto:tlbonehead@yahoo.com">tlbonehead@yaho o.com</a><br />
            <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy</a><br />
            -For Sale: <br />
            -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US<br />
            -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.<br />
            - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping<br />
            - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds &amp; looks good. $250 + shipping. <b>SOLD</b><br />
            - Crate Palomino V8 - 10&quot; Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)</div>

            Comment


            • #36
              better than a pawn shop
              <div class="signaturecontainer">GUITARS<br />
              1991 Telecaster Plus with Tremelo (Modified)<br />
              1988 Gibson Showcase Edition Les Paul BLK/SILV<br />
              2007 Sunburst Flame Top Gibson Les Paul Standard<br />
              2012 Fender FSR Blacktop Ash Telecaster Sunset Orange/Gold <br />
              <br />
              <br />
              AMPS<br />
              Orange TH30, Marshall DSL40C <br />
              <br />
              Effects<br />
              Fulltone CF-1, Moollon Apuarius(Delay), Carl Martin PlexiTone 2, Carl Martin AC-Tone 2, Dunlop chrome Wah, <br />
              <br />
              Cabinet<br />
              Marshall JCM 1960B 4x12</div>

              Comment


              • #37
                better than a pawn shop
                <div class="signaturecontainer">GUITARS<br />
                1991 Telecaster Plus with Tremelo (Modified)<br />
                1988 Gibson Showcase Edition Les Paul BLK/SILV<br />
                2007 Sunburst Flame Top Gibson Les Paul Standard<br />
                2012 Fender FSR Blacktop Ash Telecaster Sunset Orange/Gold <br />
                <br />
                <br />
                AMPS<br />
                Orange TH30, Marshall DSL40C <br />
                <br />
                Effects<br />
                Fulltone CF-1, Moollon Apuarius(Delay), Carl Martin PlexiTone 2, Carl Martin AC-Tone 2, Dunlop chrome Wah, <br />
                <br />
                Cabinet<br />
                Marshall JCM 1960B 4x12</div>

                Comment


                • #38






                  Quote Originally Posted by Meowy
                  View Post

                  No, actually it's called business.



                  You obviously don't know what a monopoly is. You want to start an auction web site?... go right ahead.




                  Ebay certainly is a monopoly. They dominate the industry and because of that there are high barriers to entry. Nobody with any sense is willing to start another auction site because of the dominant market presence of Ebay. Ebay has virtually no competition.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">♪ <b>Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll</b> <img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/thumb.gif" border="0" alt="" title="thumbs up" class="inlineimg" /><br />
                  <br />
                  I Surf therefore I am. <img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/cool.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Cool" class="inlineimg" /><br />
                  <a href="http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Acme-Guitar-Works-Wiring-Diagrams-W8.aspx#sasss1" target="_blank">Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE</a><br />
                  <div class="bbcode_container">
                  <div class="bbcode_quote">
                  <div class="quote_container">
                  <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

                  <div class="bbcode_postedby">
                  <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong> Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop</strong>

                  </div>
                  <div class="message">The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it &quot;sounds better&quot;. Poppycock.</div>

                  </div>
                  </div>
                  </div> </div>

                  Comment


                  • #39






                    Quote Originally Posted by Meowy
                    View Post

                    No, actually it's called business.



                    You obviously don't know what a monopoly is. You want to start an auction web site?... go right ahead.




                    Ebay certainly is a monopoly. They dominate the industry and because of that there are high barriers to entry. Nobody with any sense is willing to start another auction site because of the dominant market presence of Ebay. Ebay has virtually no competition.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer">♪ <b>Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll</b> <img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/thumb.gif" border="0" alt="" title="thumbs up" class="inlineimg" /><br />
                    <br />
                    I Surf therefore I am. <img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/cool.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Cool" class="inlineimg" /><br />
                    <a href="http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Acme-Guitar-Works-Wiring-Diagrams-W8.aspx#sasss1" target="_blank">Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE</a><br />
                    <div class="bbcode_container">
                    <div class="bbcode_quote">
                    <div class="quote_container">
                    <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

                    <div class="bbcode_postedby">
                    <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong> Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop</strong>

                    </div>
                    <div class="message">The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it &quot;sounds better&quot;. Poppycock.</div>

                    </div>
                    </div>
                    </div> </div>

                    Comment


                    • #40






                      Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                      View Post

                      No, they really aren't a monopoly. Have they tried to buy out Amazon? Have they tried to shut down CL or the for-sale forums here?




                      This is uncorrect! Ebay is a monopoly.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">♪ <b>Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll</b> <img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/thumb.gif" border="0" alt="" title="thumbs up" class="inlineimg" /><br />
                      <br />
                      I Surf therefore I am. <img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/cool.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Cool" class="inlineimg" /><br />
                      <a href="http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Acme-Guitar-Works-Wiring-Diagrams-W8.aspx#sasss1" target="_blank">Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE</a><br />
                      <div class="bbcode_container">
                      <div class="bbcode_quote">
                      <div class="quote_container">
                      <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

                      <div class="bbcode_postedby">
                      <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong> Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop</strong>

                      </div>
                      <div class="message">The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it &quot;sounds better&quot;. Poppycock.</div>

                      </div>
                      </div>
                      </div> </div>

                      Comment


                      • #41






                        Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead
                        View Post

                        No, they really aren't a monopoly. Have they tried to buy out Amazon? Have they tried to shut down CL or the for-sale forums here?




                        This is uncorrect! Ebay is a monopoly.
                        <div class="signaturecontainer">♪ <b>Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll</b> <img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/thumb.gif" border="0" alt="" title="thumbs up" class="inlineimg" /><br />
                        <br />
                        I Surf therefore I am. <img src="http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/cool.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Cool" class="inlineimg" /><br />
                        <a href="http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Acme-Guitar-Works-Wiring-Diagrams-W8.aspx#sasss1" target="_blank">Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE</a><br />
                        <div class="bbcode_container">
                        <div class="bbcode_quote">
                        <div class="quote_container">
                        <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

                        <div class="bbcode_postedby">
                        <img src="images/misc/quote_icon.png" alt="Quote" /> Originally Posted by <strong> Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop</strong>

                        </div>
                        <div class="message">The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it &quot;sounds better&quot;. Poppycock.</div>

                        </div>
                        </div>
                        </div> </div>

                        Comment


                        • #42






                          Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
                          View Post

                          This is uncorrect! Ebay is a monopoly.




                          Have they squashed your efforts to start a competing auction business? If so, how?
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="mailto:tlbonehead@yahoo.com">tlbonehead@yaho o.com</a><br />
                          <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy</a><br />
                          -For Sale: <br />
                          -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US<br />
                          -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.<br />
                          - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping<br />
                          - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds &amp; looks good. $250 + shipping. <b>SOLD</b><br />
                          - Crate Palomino V8 - 10&quot; Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)</div>

                          Comment


                          • #43






                            Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
                            View Post

                            This is uncorrect! Ebay is a monopoly.




                            Have they squashed your efforts to start a competing auction business? If so, how?
                            <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="mailto:tlbonehead@yahoo.com">tlbonehead@yaho o.com</a><br />
                            <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy</a><br />
                            -For Sale: <br />
                            -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US<br />
                            -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.<br />
                            - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping<br />
                            - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds &amp; looks good. $250 + shipping. <b>SOLD</b><br />
                            - Crate Palomino V8 - 10&quot; Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)</div>

                            Comment


                            • #44






                              Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
                              View Post

                              Ebay certainly is a monopoly. They dominate the industry and because of that there are high barriers to entry. Nobody with any sense is willing to start another auction site because of the dominant market presence of Ebay. Ebay has virtually no competition.




                              that may be. But that is certainly not because they squash every attempt for anyone else to start a similar service.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="mailto:tlbonehead@yahoo.com">tlbonehead@yaho o.com</a><br />
                              <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy</a><br />
                              -For Sale: <br />
                              -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US<br />
                              -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.<br />
                              - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping<br />
                              - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds &amp; looks good. $250 + shipping. <b>SOLD</b><br />
                              - Crate Palomino V8 - 10&quot; Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)</div>

                              Comment


                              • #45






                                Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
                                View Post

                                Ebay certainly is a monopoly. They dominate the industry and because of that there are high barriers to entry. Nobody with any sense is willing to start another auction site because of the dominant market presence of Ebay. Ebay has virtually no competition.




                                that may be. But that is certainly not because they squash every attempt for anyone else to start a similar service.
                                <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="mailto:tlbonehead@yahoo.com">tlbonehead@yaho o.com</a><br />
                                <a href="http://www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy</a><br />
                                -For Sale: <br />
                                -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US<br />
                                -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.<br />
                                - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping<br />
                                - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds &amp; looks good. $250 + shipping. <b>SOLD</b><br />
                                - Crate Palomino V8 - 10&quot; Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)</div>

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X