Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT:Ebay blows

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16






    Quote Originally Posted by esphil
    View Post

    So in reality people will add on the fee's that ebay charges on shipping now to the shipping cost.




    Not everyone does, but you could do that if you want otherwise potential buyers to be turned off by high shipping charges.



    I just shipped a guitar today from NY to OH. I listed it with $20 shipping fees. It cost me $21.65 with confirm and insurance. About the same for a LP a few weeks ago. If I lose $10 on shipping x-country, so be it. I try to keep shipping fair for everyone and it works well for me.
    My Gear
    Schecter Corsair
    TelePartsCaster x3
    Dano Convertible

    Taylor 114
    Gretsch Americana

    Vox Pathfinder 15R
    Vox VT15
    Fender SCXD
    Yamaha THR5

    For Sale:
    Duncan Pickups

    BG Pups Tele Set

    Looking For:
    Vox AC4C1 amp
    Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

    Comment


    • #17






      Quote Originally Posted by esphil
      View Post

      So in reality people will add on the fee's that ebay charges on shipping now to the shipping cost.




      Not everyone does, but you could do that if you want otherwise potential buyers to be turned off by high shipping charges.



      I just shipped a guitar today from NY to OH. I listed it with $20 shipping fees. It cost me $21.65 with confirm and insurance. About the same for a LP a few weeks ago. If I lose $10 on shipping x-country, so be it. I try to keep shipping fair for everyone and it works well for me.
      My Gear
      Schecter Corsair
      TelePartsCaster x3
      Dano Convertible

      Taylor 114
      Gretsch Americana

      Vox Pathfinder 15R
      Vox VT15
      Fender SCXD
      Yamaha THR5

      For Sale:
      Duncan Pickups

      BG Pups Tele Set

      Looking For:
      Vox AC4C1 amp
      Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

      Comment


      • #18






        Quote Originally Posted by cbh5150
        View Post

        EBay, for all its' faults, is still the best way to get exposure on something you're trying to sell. Even if you keep in mind the fees, it is still easier than dealing with freaks on CL, or having to consign (for a bigger fee, usually), or trading in and getting less than 50% of the actual market value.



        EDIT: or pretty much what tl said two posts above...




        I agree, ebay knows it and it just sucks they have to take such advantage of it. And also the fact there is no real competitor, its a monopoly.
        Guitars:
        Too many to list, many Carvin's and friends.

        Comment


        • #19






          Quote Originally Posted by cbh5150
          View Post

          EBay, for all its' faults, is still the best way to get exposure on something you're trying to sell. Even if you keep in mind the fees, it is still easier than dealing with freaks on CL, or having to consign (for a bigger fee, usually), or trading in and getting less than 50% of the actual market value.



          EDIT: or pretty much what tl said two posts above...




          I agree, ebay knows it and it just sucks they have to take such advantage of it. And also the fact there is no real competitor, its a monopoly.
          Guitars:
          Too many to list, many Carvin's and friends.

          Comment


          • #20






            Quote Originally Posted by esphil
            View Post

            I agree, ebay knows it and it just sucks they have to take such advantage of it. And also the fact there is no real competitor, its a monopoly.




            No, actually it's called business.



            You obviously don't know what a monopoly is. You want to start an auction web site?... go right ahead.
            My Gear
            Schecter Corsair
            TelePartsCaster x3
            Dano Convertible

            Taylor 114
            Gretsch Americana

            Vox Pathfinder 15R
            Vox VT15
            Fender SCXD
            Yamaha THR5

            For Sale:
            Duncan Pickups

            BG Pups Tele Set

            Looking For:
            Vox AC4C1 amp
            Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

            Comment


            • #21






              Quote Originally Posted by esphil
              View Post

              I agree, ebay knows it and it just sucks they have to take such advantage of it. And also the fact there is no real competitor, its a monopoly.




              No, actually it's called business.



              You obviously don't know what a monopoly is. You want to start an auction web site?... go right ahead.
              My Gear
              Schecter Corsair
              TelePartsCaster x3
              Dano Convertible

              Taylor 114
              Gretsch Americana

              Vox Pathfinder 15R
              Vox VT15
              Fender SCXD
              Yamaha THR5

              For Sale:
              Duncan Pickups

              BG Pups Tele Set

              Looking For:
              Vox AC4C1 amp
              Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

              Comment


              • #22
                I used to sell but stopped way back when they took away a seller's ability to leave bad feedback. I had a blackmail situation that really turned me off from selling ever again.



                The thing that gets me...as a buyer, I used to be able to go on Ebay and find virtually ANYTHING that I was GASing for, now it's very rare unless I'm looking for something common that I could just buy from a major retailer for the same exact price...
                .

                Comment


                • #23
                  I used to sell but stopped way back when they took away a seller's ability to leave bad feedback. I had a blackmail situation that really turned me off from selling ever again.



                  The thing that gets me...as a buyer, I used to be able to go on Ebay and find virtually ANYTHING that I was GASing for, now it's very rare unless I'm looking for something common that I could just buy from a major retailer for the same exact price...
                  .

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Add in your ebay costs to the starting price (if you have one). I always have a starting price that incorporates estimated fees.
                    I like Z Cars
                    and Guitars

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Add in your ebay costs to the starting price (if you have one). I always have a starting price that incorporates estimated fees.
                      I like Z Cars
                      and Guitars

                      Comment


                      • #26






                        Quote Originally Posted by Meowy
                        View Post

                        No, actually it's called business.



                        You obviously don't know what a monopoly is. You want to start an auction web site?... go right ahead.




                        Of course it is a business, have you ever heard of a non-profit that is a monopoly?

                        "In economics, a monopoly is a single seller. In law, a monopoly is a business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power, to charge high prices."

                        What other viable website alternative is there? Ubid? Ebay owns paypal, and will not even allow other checkout methods such as amazon or google payments. YES they are a monopoly.
                        Guitars:
                        Too many to list, many Carvin's and friends.

                        Comment


                        • #27






                          Quote Originally Posted by Meowy
                          View Post

                          No, actually it's called business.



                          You obviously don't know what a monopoly is. You want to start an auction web site?... go right ahead.




                          Of course it is a business, have you ever heard of a non-profit that is a monopoly?

                          "In economics, a monopoly is a single seller. In law, a monopoly is a business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power, to charge high prices."

                          What other viable website alternative is there? Ubid? Ebay owns paypal, and will not even allow other checkout methods such as amazon or google payments. YES they are a monopoly.
                          Guitars:
                          Too many to list, many Carvin's and friends.

                          Comment


                          • #28






                            Quote Originally Posted by Meowy
                            View Post

                            Yes the eBay fees are expensive but makes selling a hell of a lot easier.



                            With all due respect, none of eBay's fees are hidden so you should be able to ballpark your overhead before you list and adjust your price accordingly




                            I agree. I will usually try to sell on CL first but for anything a little out of the mainstream I do much better on Ebay. I think sellers would do much better on CL if they priced the guitars they sell there relative to what they will net on Ebay.



                            Example: A Gibson 60's Tribute SG selling on Ebay for $625 + 35 shipping = $660.

                            Sellers fees of 9% = $59.40

                            Paypal fees of 3% = $19.80

                            Actual shipping = $30

                            Total costs = $109.20

                            Net of $660.00 - 109.20 = $550.80



                            So why wouldn't you list it on CL for $550 and avoid the hassel of packing and shipping?



                            Here's a quick story to illustrate my point:

                            I saw a guitar I was interested in on Ebay and saw the same guitar listed on my local CL for a higher price than the opening bid on Ebay. I emailed the guy and said that I would offer him his opening Ebay price in cash. He refused my offer and said he thought it would go higher. I didn't think so and said I would watch his auction, and if nobody bid on it I would let the auction end with no bid rather than bid the minimum and pay him the opening bid price in cash to help him get a little mor for it than if he had to pay sellers fees and Paypal.



                            Sure enough, no bids on Ebay and the auction ended. I emailed him again to make arrangements to pick it up and pay the opening amount in cash. He backed out saying that he wanted to get more for it. Jackass.

                            I should have just bid the minimum and let him eat the fees.



                            Moral of the story? If you know what Ebay will cost you, subtract that from what you ask on CL or the Forum and you'll sell more stuff faster.

                            Comment


                            • #29






                              Quote Originally Posted by Meowy
                              View Post

                              Yes the eBay fees are expensive but makes selling a hell of a lot easier.



                              With all due respect, none of eBay's fees are hidden so you should be able to ballpark your overhead before you list and adjust your price accordingly




                              I agree. I will usually try to sell on CL first but for anything a little out of the mainstream I do much better on Ebay. I think sellers would do much better on CL if they priced the guitars they sell there relative to what they will net on Ebay.



                              Example: A Gibson 60's Tribute SG selling on Ebay for $625 + 35 shipping = $660.

                              Sellers fees of 9% = $59.40

                              Paypal fees of 3% = $19.80

                              Actual shipping = $30

                              Total costs = $109.20

                              Net of $660.00 - 109.20 = $550.80



                              So why wouldn't you list it on CL for $550 and avoid the hassel of packing and shipping?



                              Here's a quick story to illustrate my point:

                              I saw a guitar I was interested in on Ebay and saw the same guitar listed on my local CL for a higher price than the opening bid on Ebay. I emailed the guy and said that I would offer him his opening Ebay price in cash. He refused my offer and said he thought it would go higher. I didn't think so and said I would watch his auction, and if nobody bid on it I would let the auction end with no bid rather than bid the minimum and pay him the opening bid price in cash to help him get a little mor for it than if he had to pay sellers fees and Paypal.



                              Sure enough, no bids on Ebay and the auction ended. I emailed him again to make arrangements to pick it up and pay the opening amount in cash. He backed out saying that he wanted to get more for it. Jackass.

                              I should have just bid the minimum and let him eat the fees.



                              Moral of the story? If you know what Ebay will cost you, subtract that from what you ask on CL or the Forum and you'll sell more stuff faster.

                              Comment


                              • #30






                                Quote Originally Posted by esphil
                                View Post

                                Of course it is a business, have you ever heard of a non-profit that is a monopoly?

                                "In economics, a monopoly is a single seller. In law, a monopoly is a business entity that has significant market power, that is, the power, to charge high prices."

                                What other viable website alternative is there? Ubid? Ebay owns paypal, and will not even allow other checkout methods such as amazon or google payments. YES they are a monopoly.




                                Just because no one else has yet been able to succeed as an auction competitor, does not mean eBay is a monopoly. There are plenty of web sites that charge for classified listings. (i.e. similar to eBay's Buy it Now). One is called Amazon.com



                                eBay is doing nothing to lock competition out of the online auction market. Buy a domain name, go do some heads down software development for a few months and start advertising. Go ahead and lowball the **************** out of eBay's fee structure. You could be the one to take some market share.



                                eBay's pricing model is not opportunistic. Premium? perhaps, but so is any smart business who is among the best at what they do.



                                And their exclusive use of Paypal whether they own it or not is not monopolistic either. I believe if the buyer and seller agree to use cash, a MO, personal check or credit card eBay does not prevent these methods of payment. Sorry, but again smart businesses have vertical service channels
                                My Gear
                                Schecter Corsair
                                TelePartsCaster x3
                                Dano Convertible

                                Taylor 114
                                Gretsch Americana

                                Vox Pathfinder 15R
                                Vox VT15
                                Fender SCXD
                                Yamaha THR5

                                For Sale:
                                Duncan Pickups

                                BG Pups Tele Set

                                Looking For:
                                Vox AC4C1 amp
                                Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

                                Comment



                                Working...
                                X