Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT:Ebay blows

Any other people who sell guitars on ebay completely fed up with them? I've sold 3 guitars in the last month and decided to look at my fees I owe. To my shock, ebay now charges final value fees on shipping?!?! WTF So they take out over 10% final value fee, charge me a shipping fee and tell me to get on all 4 with the paypal fees too. I sold a guitar that was $250 more expensive then the one last night with a BIN, the one sold last night was a auction yet I got charged $7 more?? I'm done with this ebay/paypal bull**************** selling, I should have just stuck to the forums to do it. Are there any viable auction alternatives out there?
    Guitars:
    Too many to list, many Carvin's and friends.

I've never been on the selling end of an eBay transaction, but I purchased three guitars from eBay with PayPal this year and the transactions were all smooth and painless. Sellers tend to charge flat rates for shipping (and handling) so it's not that big a deal that eBay considers it part of the selling price. I think having the fees probably keeps sketchy sellers away, so I have a greater level of comfort making an eBay purchase than I would with other outlets ...

Comment

I've never been on the selling end of an eBay transaction, but I purchased three guitars from eBay with PayPal this year and the transactions were all smooth and painless. Sellers tend to charge flat rates for shipping (and handling) so it's not that big a deal that eBay considers it part of the selling price. I think having the fees probably keeps sketchy sellers away, so I have a greater level of comfort making an eBay purchase than I would with other outlets ...

Comment

eBay has been charging a FVF on shipping for years because of the scumbags who sell a Les Paul for $10 plus $850 shipping.

And if you want to think back > 15+ years, you'd put an ad in your local newspaper classifieds for $20 and reach a tiny audience compared to eBay's reach. CL is good if you can deal with the lunatics.

Forums have a very limited audience and a lot of tire kickers too, but if you have something desirable and priced right, it works for free

Yes the eBay fees are expensive but makes selling a hell of a lot easier. I've sold 3 guitars in the last month on eBay that I could not sell on multiple forums and accumulated $120 in fees. I also sold 1 other guitar here during the same time period.

With all due respect, none of eBay's fees are hidden so you should be able to ballpark your overhead before you list and adjust your price accordingly
        My Gear
        Schecter Corsair
        TelePartsCaster x3
        Dano Convertible

Taylor 114
        Gretsch Americana

Vox Pathfinder 15R
        Vox VT15
        Fender SCXD
        Yamaha THR5

For Sale:
        Duncan Pickups

BG Pups Tele Set

Looking For:
        Vox AC4C1 amp
        Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

Comment

eBay has been charging a FVF on shipping for years because of the scumbags who sell a Les Paul for $10 plus $850 shipping.

And if you want to think back > 15+ years, you'd put an ad in your local newspaper classifieds for $20 and reach a tiny audience compared to eBay's reach. CL is good if you can deal with the lunatics.

Forums have a very limited audience and a lot of tire kickers too, but if you have something desirable and priced right, it works for free

Yes the eBay fees are expensive but makes selling a hell of a lot easier. I've sold 3 guitars in the last month on eBay that I could not sell on multiple forums and accumulated $120 in fees. I also sold 1 other guitar here during the same time period.

With all due respect, none of eBay's fees are hidden so you should be able to ballpark your overhead before you list and adjust your price accordingly
          My Gear
          Schecter Corsair
          TelePartsCaster x3
          Dano Convertible

Taylor 114
          Gretsch Americana

Vox Pathfinder 15R
          Vox VT15
          Fender SCXD
          Yamaha THR5

For Sale:
          Duncan Pickups

BG Pups Tele Set

Looking For:
          Vox AC4C1 amp
          Gibson 70s tribute minihum pickup(s)

Comment

Ebay sucks. The fees they charge sellers has scared them away making it suck for both buyers AND sellers

Comment

Ebay sucks. The fees they charge sellers has scared them away making it suck for both buyers AND sellers

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Meowy
                View Post

So in reality people will add on the fee's that ebay charges on shipping now to the shipping cost.
                Guitars:

Comment

View Post

So in reality people will add on the fee's that ebay charges on shipping now to the shipping cost.
                  Guitars:

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by esphil
                    View Post

Any other people who sell guitars on ebay completely fed up with them? I've sold 3 guitars in the last month and decided to look at my fees I owe. To my shock, ebay now charges final value fees on shipping?!?! WTF So they take out over 10% final value fee, charge me a shipping fee and tell me to get on all 4 with the paypal fees too. I sold a guitar that was $250 more expensive then the one last night with a BIN, the one sold last night was a auction yet I got charged $7 more?? I'm done with this ebay/paypal bull**************** selling, I should have just stuck to the forums to do it. Are there any viable auction alternatives out there?

you probably got more than enough extra selling on Ebay to cover the fees. Ofcourse, you could take them to your local store and have them consign it for 20-25% of the selling price, if it sells after being grubbed over for a few months. Or just put it here and get no responses, or lowballs, or trade offers for stuff you don't want.
                    tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                    www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                    -For Sale:
                    -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                    -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                    - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                    - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                    - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by esphil
                      View Post

you probably got more than enough extra selling on Ebay to cover the fees. Ofcourse, you could take them to your local store and have them consign it for 20-25% of the selling price, if it sells after being grubbed over for a few months. Or just put it here and get no responses, or lowballs, or trade offers for stuff you don't want.
                      tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                      -For Sale:
                      -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                      - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD

Comment

View Post

Exactly! Doesn't take an atomic physicist to figure things out.
                        tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                        -For Sale:

Comment

View Post

Exactly! Doesn't take an atomic physicist to figure things out.
                          tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                          -For Sale:

Comment

EBay, for all its' faults, is still the best way to get exposure on something you're trying to sell. Even if you keep in mind the fees, it is still easier than dealing with freaks on CL, or having to consign (for a bigger fee, usually), or trading in and getting less than 50% of the actual market value.

EDIT: or pretty much what tl said two posts above...
                            This used to be a great place. Thanks, GCI, for killing it.See y'all at Wein's.

Comment

EBay, for all its' faults, is still the best way to get exposure on something you're trying to sell. Even if you keep in mind the fees, it is still easier than dealing with freaks on CL, or having to consign (for a bigger fee, usually), or trading in and getting less than 50% of the actual market value.

EDIT: or pretty much what tl said two posts above...
                              This used to be a great place. Thanks, GCI, for killing it.See y'all at Wein's.

Comment

Working...
                              X