Where do you buy your pickup covers and what metals/alloys to avoid?

billybilly

• Members

Hi. I've just been pursuing the net and notice that pickup covers come in a multitude of materials. I know that some are better than others and wonder if you could school me and possibly give me a heads up where to purchase decent ones online.

Thanks.

• Members

Probably the major sound difference would be ferrous and nonferrous materials - a steel cover will take off a little of the top end, whereas a (solid) nickel or plastic cover won't. Most other aspects (chrome or gold plating) are about cosmetics and resistance to corrosion.
I have a Tele neck pickup with a nickel (edit - nickel silver) cover and I swear it has more top end than the bridge pickup.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by billybilly

View Post

Ah, that's why they advertise as nickel. I guess I'll be hunting for nickel steel ones rather than whatever they are selling on ebay from far away places.

You'd want nickel silver - nickel steel would be magnetic to some extent and lose the high end.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum View Post
I always get the raw nickel silver ones from these German dudes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Bur...item257917cf84
Quote Originally Posted by MatthewTKK View Post
You'd want nickel silver - nickel steel would be magnetic to some extent and lose the high end.
Thanks guys, just pulled the trigger from BG pups on a couple of pure nickel ones. Went there looking for advice and there they were. Have a good night/morning.

• Members

Any metal cover is going to interact with the magnetic field and will have an effect on tone. Nickle silver is the most transparent of the choices and considerably much better than the more common plated brass found on cheaper pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by billybilly View Post
... just pulled the trigger from BG pups on a couple of pure nickel ones. ...
Good call, the nickle silver covers Bryan uses are good ones.

• Members

Yeah,crazyparts in Hanover,Germany is the one I use.The only place on the planet I
could find gold P-90 covers.Silver plated gold.Great quality,IMO

"everything you read on the internet you read is true" Abraham Lincoln

Archived