NGD 2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus

dughaze

• Members

I sold a few pieces of gear in the last weeks and had the fever to pick up a Gibson Les Paul since the prices have been dropping lately and I had just enough money to shop the used stuff. I have an early 2000 something Edwards LP that has been my favorite guitar since I've owned it and I always wondered what it was like to own the real thing.

I came across a good deal on a mint Traditional Plus and I bought it without trying it since it seemed like a good deal. It is a heavy damn guitar but man does it play like a dream. Maybe I haven't played or owned enough higher end guitars to really be able to discern what's a really good guitar and what's not but I think I have become really selective about what plays well, stays in tune, and sounds good probably from having had to wade thru the questionable stuff for many years and make do.

ANYWAYS, this thing plays better than I could have imagined and I had hoped for. I met the seller but could not try the guitar and guessed that it was sound enough to get my money back if I did not like it. The owner seemed to like it and just wanted to pay some bills. So I took the guitar to rehearsal figuring it would need a good setup later but I wanted to try it out. Wow, my buddy said it looked awesome and sounded great. I couldn't believe how smooth it played and how well it was setup. If this is the Plek then HOLY {censored} let's quit messing around and get to Plekking.

I spoke to the seller the next day and mentioned how nicely it played and was setup and he said he was really picky about that and bought it because of that and how good it sounded. He said he made minor bridge and truss rod adjustments to keep it right but that was all that had been done to it.

He added Grover locking tuners and swapped the Classic 57's out for a 498T and 490R set. I thought I didn't like those pickups after an LP Special I had with them in it but this thing smokes. Sorry to ramble but it's my first real Gibby LP and I am pretty stoked.
3Ke3L43F65I45Nd5M2cc92e95f81da8161f6b_zp

3Gf3L83N95I95K25H8cc91837651c407b1623_zp

3K13I73Jc5L45G65H9cc901288832297210b2_zp

• Members

Wow, what a beauty. Interesting about the PU swap. Most folks swap in the 57's against the 498T and 490R, or so I read. I had those pickups in a SG Standard and like you wasn't so crazy about them, but I guess this goes to show it's more about the actual guitar, and that one style of PU can work, or not work, depending on the instrument.

Very cool about the ungraded locking tuners. I bought a used AS Telecaster off CL about 2 years ago that has Fender locking tuners. This has been my first experience with locking tuners, and after this it's a must. I really love them.

• Members

Wow, what a beauty. Interesting about the PU swap. Most folks swap in the 57's against the 498T and 490R, or so I read. I had those pickups in a SG Standard and like you wasn't so crazy about them, but I guess this goes to show it's more about the actual guitar, and that one style of PU can work, or not work, depending on the instrument.

Very cool about the ungraded locking tuners. I bought a used AS Telecaster off CL about 2 years ago that has Fender locking tuners. This has been my first experience with locking tuners, and after this it's a must. I really love them.

Archived